The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   BOO Question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/46124-boo-question.html)

dash_riprock Mon Jul 07, 2008 05:58am

BOO Question

1 out, R3. Improper batter hits a sac fly scoring R3. Defense properly appeals BOO. FED: the proper batter is out, superseding the out made by the improper batter, R3 returns. Are OBR & NCAA the same?

1 out, R1. Improper batter grounds to F4, who throws to F6 for the force on R1, but the throw back to 1st is late. Defense properly appeals BOO. Do you get 2 outs (R1 & the proper batter) in all codes? What if the DP was completed?

Thanks - I'm away from my books.

UmpJM Mon Jul 07, 2008 08:22am

dash,

1st sitch: Correct, same in NCAA & OBR.

2nd sitch: Under the FED BOO rule, upon proper appeal, the defense would get two outs - the R1 forced at 2B and the proper batter. Same result whether or not the defense completes the DP. Under NCAA & OBR, only the improper batter would be out.

JM

dash_riprock Mon Jul 07, 2008 08:34am

Thanks JM.

So the difference is, in FED any outs made on the play stand (except the improper batter), in NCAA & OBR they do not.

Last question - OBR or NCAA: R1 1 out. Improper batter grounds into a DP. Defense appeals BOO. Result - 2 outs, R1 instead of an inning-ending DP. Can the defense withdraw the appeal?

UmpJM Mon Jul 07, 2008 08:59am

Dash,

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock

So the difference is, in FED any outs made on the play stand (except the improper batter), in NCAA & OBR they do not.

Exactly!

Quote:

Last question - OBR or NCAA: R1 1 out. Improper batter grounds into a DP. Defense appeals BOO. Result - 2 outs, R1 instead of an inning-ending DP. Can the defense withdraw the appeal?
Beats me. I think I would tend to allow it - treat the initial appeal as a "what if" question from the defense. Might depend on my "mood" at the time.

JM

bob jenkins Mon Jul 07, 2008 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock

I would say, "no" -- the appeal, once made, must be enforced.

cshs81 Mon Jul 07, 2008 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
dash,

1st sitch: Correct, same in NCAA & OBR.

2nd sitch: Under the FED BOO rule, upon proper appeal, the defense would get two outs - the R1 forced at 2B and the proper batter. Same result whether or not the defense completes the DP. Under NCAA & OBR, only the improper batter would be out.

JM

In #2, in NCAA or OBR, does R1 return to 1st base?

UmpJM Mon Jul 07, 2008 09:36am

cshs81,

Yes, under NCAA/OBR, runners are returned to their TOP base.

JM

DG Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:01pm

I don't know why anyone would appeal BOO on an inning ending DP. Just make note of the batter so the next one follows correctly.