The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I would like to know what opinions other people have about going back to this rule. Also how this will affect the game. It was easier the way it was before this rule change.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Appeal Rule

I'm glad that we no longer have sole responsibility. There were many times that I wondered if I was the only one who saw the infraction --- if that's the case, why are we rewarding the defense?

I only wish that they had kept it simple. While i prefer the OBR style of appeal, I would happily live with a dead-ball request if that was the rule. However, we have made too many options and in doing so have "mucked-up" the works.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2002, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

I think the new Fed rule is quite sensible and easy to apply, and I much prefer it to OBR or the previous Fed. The defense does have to make the appeal, but we don't have the complications of intervening plays, balks, or runners stealing. Of course, we do have the ludicrous "accidental force out," but that's not really an appeal, just a ridiculously delayed force out that looks like an appeal.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2002, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by refump24

I would like to know what opinions other people have about going back to this rule. Also how this will affect the game. It was easier the way it was before this rule change.

I preferred the old way myself. When we as umpires enforce other baseball infractions we do not wait for the defense to appeal before enforcing them.

Also, I think we need to get into the definition of what constitutes a missed base to begin with. In most instances whenever I called a runner out (under the old rule) for missing a base, there was no question that he / she indeed missed a base - In other words it wasn't by an inch.

So far I haven't had any problems with the new appeal rule but it's still early in the season. I do like the fact that one can appeal during dead ball.

Let's take the OBR process for a minute, assuming we have Time out on the Field. In order for a valid appeal, the ball must be made live again and in most instances, the runner will take off or do something to Force the defense to play on him / her to cancel the appeal.

IMO, I do not like the OBR appeal process either. As stated, FED had it right to begin with. My gut tells me there will be more corrections to the new FED appeal rule next season but I do not think we will go back to the "old way".

Pete Booth