The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

My brother's co-worker's husband is the president of a local youth baseball league. The league is made up of kids who, for the most part, have very few baseball skills. They really needed umpires and I agreed to do a few games, here and there. Well, I've now worked 3 games for this league and it's killing me. I work alone, and I'm having real issues trying to keep the game moving as well as trying to keep the catcher on task. I only agreed to work the oldest level they have (which is 11U) and the biggest problem I have are the catchers. They simply cannot catch the baseball. Granted, the pitchers aren't throwing very hard (40-50MPH), but I'm essentially a sitting target back there. I would say that over 90% of the pitches go to the backstop. Last night, I worked two games and got hit ~ 25 times, including several shots to the mask and thighs. I don't know what else to do. I can't understate the fact that the catchers never catch the ball. Then, they throw their mask off, walk back to get the ball, toss it underhand to the pitcher...you get the idea.

Further, between innings, it takes the catchers ~ 5 min. to get their shin guards and chest protectors on, I don't see why it takes that long with the help of an adult, but it does. They have their own seperate rules and there is nothing about penalizing a team for delaying the game.

I'm just frustrated and needed to get this out to those who might understand. Luckily, I'm only doing this every couple of weeks and I only have 2 games left to work, but it's torture out there.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 10:06am

As far as the time the catcher's take to get ready, you need to actively get in their faces and train these coaches to have that catcher ready to go. Ride them like a jockey until they cut that time down to around a minute or less. Get them to start putting on his gear as soon as he bats, or sooner if he's not scheduled up. Have them send out a coach to warm the pitcher until the catcher is ready, so the catcher can just throw it down when he comes out.

In leagues of this caliber, there is no shame in working behind the mound or using a raft. I'm not going to sit back there and be a human backstop for these little no-talent catchers who don't live up to their title. My assignor loaned me his old raft for a particular Senior LL that he assigned me to, knowing full well that this league was brutal. Sure enough, I got hit all day long in the 3 solo games I did. I took at least 10 shots each game, but they all bounced merrily off my shin guards or the raft.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
As far as the time the catcher's take to get ready, you need to actively get in their faces and train these coaches to have that catcher ready to go. Ride them like a jockey until they cut that time down to around a minute or less. Get them to start putting on his gear as soon as he bats, or sooner if he's not scheduled up. Have them send out a coach to warm the pitcher until the catcher is ready, so the catcher can just throw it down when he comes out.

In leagues of this caliber, there is no shame in working behind the mound or using a raft. I'm not going to sit back there and be a human backstop for these little no-talent catchers who don't live up to their title. My assignor loaned me his old raft for a particular Senior LL that he assigned me to, knowing full well that this league was brutal. Sure enough, I got hit all day long in the 3 solo games I did. I took at least 10 shots each game, but they all bounced merrily off my shin guards or the raft.
Yeah, I was trying to keep the catchers moving as best I could. Do you think it would be out of place to ask the coach to get the catcher ready with 2 outs? I don't want that to be looked at as me being partial (anticipating the 3rd out). In every single inning, we started as soon as the catcher came out of the dugout...it wouldn't matter, the catcher is barely able to get it back to the pitcher, let alone getting it to 2b.

I'm glad you have the same opinion I do. I tried not to get frustrated, but this was much worse than I had even anticipated. I know that my frustration was showing though. I just couldn't help it, after getting hit so many times, you start to lose your patience. I'll see about finding a balloon protector for next time.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 10:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80
Yeah, I was trying to keep the catchers moving as best I could. Do you think it would be out of place to ask the coach to get the catcher ready with 2 outs? I don't want that to be looked at as me being partial (anticipating the 3rd out). In every single inning, we started as soon as the catcher came out of the dugout...it wouldn't matter, the catcher is barely able to get it back to the pitcher, let alone getting it to 2b.
Yes, have them get the catcher ready as long as he is not scheduled as the on-deck hitter. Just like the pros, when they are done batting or running the bases, they put their gear on. Have them start getting that catcher ready as soon as he is no longer batting or getting ready to bat. Tell them to have him keep his shin guards on until he comes out on deck. Little things like this can shave a half hour off games. Also, they can have each coach or a player help get the catcher dressed. One helps with the protector and one takes each shin guard. This speeds it up even more.

In leagues like this, where the players and coaches are very inexperienced, I will often address the entire team with helpful tips to get them to do things in a more "baseball-like" manner. I have been thanked for my help many times over, so I know my input has been well received. Just do this in a friendly, non-threatening manner and don't be a hard-a$$ about it.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

You have time limits, yes?

Like SDS said, take the opp to teach them some things while you are out there.

RE: getting hit, use good technique and trust your equipment. If 11U pitchers are hurting you, then you are doing/wearing something very wrong.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
You have time limits, yes?

Like SDS said, take the opp to teach them some things while you are out there.

RE: getting hit, use good technique and trust your equipment. If 11U pitchers are hurting you, then you are doing/wearing something very wrong.
Yes, there are time limits. And every ends via the time limit.

What technique do you use when the catcher can't catch the ball (even called strikes)? My equipment is not the issue, I use the Honigs Elite protector as well and also purchased the elite leg guards before the HS season started. I still got hit several times in the thigh area, which didn't hurt much, but at the same time, it doesn't feel good. The ball would just go right past the catcher and into me. I also got hit in the mask 4 or 5 times, not on foul balls, just on balls that weren't touched.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, there are time limits. And every ends via the time limit.

What technique do you use when the catcher can't catch the ball (even called strikes)? My equipment is not the issue, I use the Honigs Elite protector as well and also purchased the elite leg guards before the HS season started. I still got hit several times in the thigh area, which didn't hurt much, but at the same time, it doesn't feel good. The ball would just go right past the catcher and into me. I also got hit in the mask 4 or 5 times, not on foul balls, just on balls that weren't touched.
Back in the day I was doing LL games and one game the catch kept bailing on me on every ball in the dirt. I solved that problem by putting my hand on his lower back an whenever he tried to bail, I would gently sit him back down (like you would a dog). The coach came out and complained that I was hindering his player's ability to catch the ball and I interjected that he is hurting my ability to umpire by bailing. He didn't like it but every time the catcher bailed, I called a ball. Depending on how much I got plunked, I would give the batter a couple of "free pitches". Soon enough he got the idea that I wasn't playing. The kids need to be taught to block the ball sometime.

I feel your pain however.

-Josh
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I'd suggest calling the games from behind the mound. I don't know that I agree with the idea of grabbing a hold of a catcher or punishing an entire team because their catchers not a decent backstop. As fas as moving the games along, I like Steve's suggestions, but I would add that you need to cut off any warm up pitches if they can't get on the field in a timely manner. Don't let them throw the ball down, just call for a batter when the catcher gets to his box.

Tim.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't giving any time for extra warm-up pitches. As soon as the catcher stepped out, I called for the batter. I really just shouldn't do these type of games. It's not helping the kids any either, because I'm sure they can tell that I'm frustrated. The main purpose of this thread was just to vent.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:21pm

Quote:
The main purpose of this thread was just to vent.
Well then, break out the Coors Light and let's vent!!!
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I really just shouldn't do these type of games.

Think you hit the nail on the head there.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 09:44pm
Veteran College Umpire

I have a buddy who did 5 years of Minor League ball, and his first couple of years when he came home he went out and did Junior Hi games (I don't know why). He ALWAYS used a balloon, or raft if you will. And he always had a ball!

JJ
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 09:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
I have a buddy who did 5 years of Minor League ball, and his first couple of years when he came home he went out and did Junior Hi games (I don't know why). He ALWAYS used a balloon, or raft if you will. And he always had a ball!

JJ
I think you answered your own question of why he did the Junior High games. He always had a ball doing them. That's why I did just about any kind of baseball thrown my way (within reason). I just loved umpiring, and didn't really attach any special status to a particular level.

Once umpiring gets into your blood, it's hard to let it go. I want all of you who are still working baseball to remember how lucky you are, because it's rough when it's over.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

My brother's co-worker's husband is the president of a local youth baseball league. The league is made up of kids who, for the most part, have very few baseball skills. They really needed umpires and I agreed to do a few games, here and there.
They really need coaching.

When you have a bunch of un-trained kids then the league should be Instructional in nature. Forget about keeping score. etc. You do not need umpires.

These kids need to learn the game and improove on their skills. Having games with umpires is meaningless. F2 needs to be trained as well as the other players.

Therefore, IMO tell your brother that this League should change their goals and simply make this an Intsructional League. Also, simply do not umpire these games any-more. Have the coaches do it.

Pete Booth