The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Disaster... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/45675-disaster.html)

TussAgee11 Fri Jun 20, 2008 01:28pm

Disaster...

It just keeps getting worse and worse...

For your viewing entertainment, not a lot went right in this video for the men in blue. They did get the call right, but what looks to be awful awful game management (especially from U3).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xtDReU...eature=related

Rich Fri Jun 20, 2008 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11
It just keeps getting worse and worse...

For your viewing entertainment, not a lot went right in this video for the men in blue. They did get the call right, but what looks to be awful awful game management (especially from U3).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xtDReU...eature=related

Butch probably needed a fix.

What are you going to do to stop an idiot like this, anyway?

TussAgee11 Fri Jun 20, 2008 02:46pm

I had a problem with U3 not stepping in an bringing away the offensive manager when U1 and PU were conferencing.

When he entered the picture, he did a poor job off shielding U1 and defensive manager. Not the worst thing in the world though, until...

Manager reaches down for the base and U3 puts his foot on top of it. Now, U3 has made this confrontation physical in nature. Now manager pushes him off, and you see U3 point at him, probably informing him of the contact and suspension. But if we stopped the video right when U3 put his foot on the base, and took a poll, I bet a majority would have correctly predicted the manager's response.

Of course you're not going to stop the guy from looking like an idiot, you just have to try to keep him from getting there. Its not always possible, and when you can't do it, you just need to step back and let him cause his scene, and look like you are "above" that. U3 didn't do that, IMO. The video of that Braves Minor League manager (where he pulled the pin on the grenade behind the pitcher's mound) was handled much better than this incident, IMO.

canadaump6 Fri Jun 20, 2008 03:14pm

Doesn't anybody think the defensive coach that came out to argue is a rat? The runner was clearly safe. Yes the base umpire should have made the right call in the first place, but it was his fielder that made the error and they got the call right in the end. If anything he should be chewing out his own shortstop.

Tim C Fri Jun 20, 2008 03:44pm

Ok,

Quote:

"Doesn't anybody think the defensive coach that came out to argue is a rat? The runner was clearly safe. Yes the base umpire should have made the right call in the first place, but it was his fielder that made the error and they got the call right in the end. If anything he should be chewing out his own shortstop."
Ok, I can admit it when someone gets me totally confused.

The coach that came out was the offensive coach wanting to know why the umpire had called his runner out when the ball appeared to have been dropped.

Can't see what makes that "ratish." Just an arguement.

Then he convinced U1 to go to the PU who obviously saw what appeared to be a bobble.

Then U1 changed his call to safe.

Then Hobson, the defensive coach came out on the reversal.

Under "old hide" mechanics U1 would have stayed with his call . . . under "new world" mechanics he reversed an OUT CALL. Remember we only call outs when we actually see them.

You just have me confused.

Regards,

Rich Fri Jun 20, 2008 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C
Ok, I can admit it when someone gets me totally confused.

The coach that came out was the offensive coach wanting to know why the umpire had called his runner out when the ball appeared to have been dropped.

Can't see what makes that "ratish." Just an arguement.

Then he convinced U1 to go to the PU who obviously saw what appeared to be a bobble.

Then U1 changed his call to safe.

Then Hobson, the defensive coach came out on the reversal.

Under "old hide" mechanics U1 would have stayed with his call . . . under "new world" mechanics he reversed an OUT CALL. Remember we only call outs when we actually see them.

You just have me confused.

Regards,

I think our boy from up north doesn't understand why Hobson blew a gasket when it was obvious to everyone except U1 that the BR was safe. And frankly, neither do I.

LakeErieUmp Fri Jun 20, 2008 04:21pm

I'd like to have that announcer moved up to MLB games - I can't imagine any of the CURRENT crew acknowleding that PU has the best angle on that particular play.

Tim C Fri Jun 20, 2008 05:25pm

Egads!

Quote:

"I think our boy from up north doesn't understand why Hobson blew a gasket when it was obvious to everyone except U1 that the BR was safe. And frankly, neither do I."
Rich, what I was trying to elude to with the "old hide" reference was really about the concept of changing an "out" to a "safe".

Hobson is an old hide. Trust me his argument was not about whether the batter runner was safe or out. His argument (and subsequent ejection) was probably based on what he felt was an incompetent job of umpiring by U1.

Again, this appears to be a Cape Cod League game and Hobson is the only person in view that had MLB expereince and was "older". I am sure Hobson has never been a fan of the "new and improved" system of doing everything to "get the call right."

Just this year I have been convinced to teach that even a call of "out" can be reversed if the calling umpire goes for help.

Again, I may be reading this wrong but coaches seledom worry if a runner was actually safe (or out).

ozzy6900 Fri Jun 20, 2008 05:46pm

I could swear that this hapened last year! Unless I am a time traveler, I saw this over the winter at one of our meetings! Butch Hobson managed a CanAm team called The Nashua Pride out of NH. They are not afiliated with The Cape Cod League as this league is only for invitational NCAA players. I believe Hobson is now with the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs.

MichaelVA2000 Fri Jun 20, 2008 06:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I could swear that this hapened last year! Unless I am a time traveler, I saw this over the winter at one of our meetings! Butch Hobson managed a CanAm team called The Nashua Pride out of NH. They are not afiliated with The Cape Cod League as this league is only for invitational NCAA players. I believe Hobson is now with the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs.

Hopbson is with them. Andy Etchebarren is their Hitting Coach. Below is an excerpt from their website:

BUTCH HOBSON, MANAGER
After an extensive search, Southern Maryland Blue Crabs owner Brooks Robinson announced on November 19, 2007 that former Boston Red Sox Manager and third baseman Butch Hobson would be the first-ever Manager and Director of Baseball Operations for the Blue Crabs.

tiger49 Fri Jun 20, 2008 09:02pm

The CanAm league is Indy Pro ball. They use two school guys and one local umpire. I am gathering that U3 was probably the local guy.

Rich Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger49
The CanAm league is Indy Pro ball. They use two school guys and one local umpire. I am gathering that U3 was probably the local guy.

Why? Listen, a lot of recent grads are a green as they come. Local guys with college experience have seen a lot more than a first or second year right out of school

mbyron Sat Jun 21, 2008 08:05am

Quote:

Can't see what makes that "rattish." Just an argument.

Tee defending a coach? Stock up on bottled water and canned goods. :eek:

Rich Sat Jun 21, 2008 08:08am

Quote:

Rich, what I was trying to elude to with the "old hide" reference was really about the concept of changing an "out" to a "safe".

Hobson is an old hide. Trust me his argument was not about whether the batter runner was safe or out. His argument (and subsequent ejection) was probably based on what he felt was an incompetent job of umpiring by U1.

Again, this appears to be a Cape Cod League game and Hobson is the only person in view that had MLB expereince and was "older". I am sure Hobson has never been a fan of the "new and improved" system of doing everything to "get the call right."

Just this year I have been convinced to teach that even a call of "out" can be reversed if the calling umpire goes for help.

Again, I may be reading this wrong but coaches seledom worry if a runner was actually safe (or out).

It's bad umpiring. But I will never understand a coach wanting to go to these lengths on a play he knows the umpires got right. And a coach doing this is simply going to get ejected a lot quicker at the levels I work.

tiger49 Sat Jun 21, 2008 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Why? Listen, a lot of recent grads are a green as they come. Local guys with college experience have seen a lot more than a first or second year right out of school

This was the first game of the series. U3 is always the local guy in the first game.