The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IndianaUmpRef
I was just wondering how long it took Indiana tournament officials to get assigned a sectional/regional, etc. I am in my 3rd year as a high school umpire and have gotten very positive feedback so far (knock on wood), which I hope is the reason for my 41 high school assignments (23 varsity)this season, my most ever. Anyway, this is my first year for postseason consideration. I have gone through the certification process, and now I play the waiting game. Just curious as to how long it took other Indiana umpires to get a postseason assignment.

I know if this were basketball, I would have no chance, but hell, I think there were only 25 or so umpires at our local certification clinic. I think there are 10 such clinics across the state. I know we need 192 umpires for sectional, so I was just wondering.

You can tell how curious I am. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Zach
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I have been an IHSAA umpire for the last 5 years. Went through 2 certification clinics and have applied for the tournament series the last 4 years. It has been a long wait to get in. I have progressed each year in the coaches vote. Last year I finished 29 out of 80 applicants. The first year I applied it was worst than that 65 out of 79 applicants. But it also could change due to the number of umpires needed in a particular area of the state.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2002, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

So what year did you get your first assignment? Last year (your 4th year). I think that is what I configured from your statement.

Thanks for your input.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2002, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

As of right now I'm still waiting to get in. I hope that this will be the year. Everything will be determined by the coaches YES/NO vote that is if the coaches vote like they should. But the fact is in Indiana there is no penalty if you do not vote like there is in other states. Last year they had 2 more applicants with tournament qualifications than they had available slots to fill.That is what I remember from attending the association meeting I belong to. So if there were 190 slots to fill they had 192 apply with tournament qualifications. So only a handful of new applicants got in if they were lucky.
Old Mon May 20, 2002, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Did you get into this year's High School Tournament.
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

My letter said I was an alternate... but a baseball coach I have done games with told me to look at http://www.ihsbca.org and to look at their forum. It named off a couple of umpires (me being one) and asked why those umpires didn't get an assignment, being that he thought we were "better than 15 or 20" that he knew that DID get an assignment. I just tried to look for the post so I could link you to it, but they post on that forum so much evidently, that the post I am referring to is already gone. But still, a compliment. But hey, there is always next year. Big game for me today - Providence/Floyd Central.

Talk to you later.
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I have had the good fortune to be one of original umpires in the IHSAA tournament series, and empathize with you guys in your efforts to gain your first assignment. One factor that has deterred many of our umpires is failure of the coaches that you have worked for to provide a vote. We in the Northern Association have had men like you with twenty-five games and receive votes from only fifteen coaches. Therefore, it is iminent that next year you give each competing coach a card with your name and address, and a request that they please register a vote on the yes/no section of the school's IHSAA baseball umpires' rating sheet that is received prior to sectional play. Another factor that reduces your opportunity is that several umpires are placed in the number 3 slot year after year, and never progress to a higher position. There is a move underway that if these men do not progress, they would be placed back in the yes/no vote, and thus open up positions for new umpires to "show what they can do." Do not give up on your goal to be a tournament umpire; keep trying!!!!
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

thanks

Thanks for the words of enouragement. I know exactly what you mean about the lack of coaches voting. I got my coaches vote in the mail last week. I worked 36 games this year, with 26 different teams, and only got 11 votes (10 yes, 1 no). Its frustrating, but I'll keep working.

Thanks