The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 31, 2002, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Runner of first. Batter squares to bunt as the runner goes for second base. The batter foul tips the ball directly into the catcher's glove. Home plate umpire mistakenly yells "foul ball!" After hearing this, the catcher does not complete his throw to second base. The base umpire then says that is a strike on the batter because the ball was foul tipped directly into the mit (the correct call). Base umpire allows the runner to stay at second base. My argument was that the catcher did not throw because he heard the plate umpire call the foul ball. The base umpire said that the rnner would have been safe anyway. Is this a judgement call or not? I didn't pursue it any further because it was a junior varsity game and the batter struck out on the next pitch.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Accord to Fed rules, 10-2-3 l, the UIC's duties include rectifying any situation in whic an umpire's decision that was reversed placed either team at a disadvantage. I believe OBR will correct the situation in a similar manner.

Just had a situation on Sat. in a JV game where in the 7th inning a right-handed batter jumped out of the way of a low inside pitch. The ball went to the backstop. The batter took off to first and said it hit him in the foot, R3 took off for home. My partner the PU calls dead ball and asks me for help. Everyone stops. The coach tells the R3 to continue home. First, I was in the C pos and couldn't see anything. My partner comes out to me and asks me what to do. I told him that he was going to have to eat the call. He sent R3 back to third (he never scores)and called a ball on the batter. Defensive coach was happy (of course) and he told the offensive coach he blew it and although unhappy, didn't go ballistic (his team lost by one run in the bottom of the inning). It was the first regular season game and with my balk sitch in another post, things were off to a great start. I guess one sticky situation a game isn't all that bad when no other problems occur.

Ed H