The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

TWO RUNNERS ON WITH TWO OUTS. BATTER HITS A HOME RUN, BATTER-RUNNER TOUCHES FIRST & SECOND BUT MISSES THIRD THEN TOUCHES HOME. THE OPPOSING COACH THEN DEAD BALL APPEALS THAT THE BATTER-RUNNER MISSED THIRD. HOW MANY RUNS SCORE.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Two.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

I AGREE WITH TWO RUNS SCORING BUT I HAVE BEE CHALLENGED THAT RULE 9.1.1.C STATES THAT A MISSED BASE IS A FORCE OUT AND IN THIS EXAMPLE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE THIRD OUT THUS NO RUNS SCORE. I DISAGREE WITH HIS INTERPERTAION.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

A missed base is only a FORCE OUT when the based missed is a base the player was forced to touch by means the batter becoming a runner. In your example, if the batter had missed FIRST, then no runs would score. Or if the runner from first missed SECOND, that is a FORCE, no runs score.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PHP
I AGREE WITH TWO RUNS SCORING BUT I HAVE BEE CHALLENGED THAT RULE 9.1.1.C STATES THAT A MISSED BASE IS A FORCE OUT AND IN THIS EXAMPLE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE THIRD OUT THUS NO RUNS SCORE. I DISAGREE WITH HIS INTERPERTAION.
1) I assume you meant 9-1-1c -- rules use dashes, cases use dots.

2) 9-1-1c has nothing to do with force outs -- it deals with "preceeding runners". The batter was not a preceeding runner; he was a trailing runner.

3) 9-1-1d deals with force outs. THe word "resulting" must be the confusion. It doesn't mean that a base running error "results in" (i.e., automatically becomes) a force out. It means that a baserunning error that is also a force out negates all runs (if the out is the third or fourth).

4) Please don't type in all CAPS. It's hard to read and is considered shouting.

THanks.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Consider this.
If the batter runner missed third then he would be creted with a double. If batter runner only leagly obtains second then R2 would have only been forced to advance to third with R1 being forced to home thus only one run scored.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

"Consider this.
If the batter runner missed third then he would be creted with a double. If batter runner only leagly obtains second then R2 would have only been forced to advance to third with R1 being forced to home thus only one run scored."

You're wrong. This is a timing play. There is no force play involved. Two runs score.

Bob
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

PHP, this is not backyard whifleball with "Ghostrunners". Give it up, it is not a force, all the above posts are correct.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 08:17am
Veteran College Umpire

Spellcheck is a wonderful thing - makes reading a lot easier for those of us just learning... thanks.