The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Ball hits homeplate

I had a varsity playoff game on Friday and a left handed batter chops one off the plate that goes about 12 feet high and lands 3 feet in front of homeplate down the first base line. He doesn't leave the box...I point fair and the catcher tags him out. The batter looks at me and says the ball hit the plate...I responded yes it did and that is a fair ball. The head coach comes out to argue for a while and looks stunned when I tell him it is a fair ball...just another case of just because you are a varsity player or coach doesn't mean you know the rules.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I was in KC for business and my boss got us great seats for the Rockies @ the Royals.

KC player had a very strange hit...I do not recall one like this before, he must have been way behind on the pitch...any wayyyy

It hit behind the plate and spun/rolled forward into fair territory. The Rox catcher grabbed it and tagged him out. I could see the batter pointing to the spot behind the plate saying-it hit back here! It hit back here! the Home Plate Umpire just said-Yes, it did! Yes it did! The Royals Mgr came out and got in between them....asked what did he say? The Umpire told him and the Mgr rolled his eyes and walked away.

I WISH I would have remembered which Royals player that was!

Joe
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 12:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I had a varsity playoff game on Friday and a left handed batter chops one off the plate that goes about 12 feet high and lands 3 feet in front of homeplate down the first base line. He doesn't leave the box...I point fair and the catcher tags him out. The batter looks at me and says the ball hit the plate...I responded yes it did and that is a fair ball. The head coach comes out to argue for a while and looks stunned when I tell him it is a fair ball...just another case of just because you are a varsity player or coach doesn't mean you know the rules.
Having umpired seven seasons here now, this doesn't surprise me in the least bit.