The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 15, 2002, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

I got into an argument with my DC over a scenario and I want to get your opinion. Fed Rules apply. R1 is on 2nd, R2 is on 1st when B1 hits a high fly ball in the infield. The umpires call Infield Fly and the runners head back to their respective bases. As R1 is standing on 2nd the ball comes down right smack on top of his helemet. My DC says that the runner on 2nd is also out - is he right? Is there a scenario where this would be true? Let me know
Old Fri Mar 15, 2002, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by dan_renninger
I got into an argument with my DC over a scenario and I want to get your opinion. Fed Rules apply. R1 is on 2nd, R2 is on 1st when B1 hits a high fly ball in the infield. The umpires call Infield Fly and the runners head back to their respective bases. As R1 is standing on 2nd the ball comes down right smack on top of his helemet. My DC says that the runner on 2nd is also out - is he right? Is there a scenario where this would be true? Let me know
ONLY on an infield fly is the runner on the base protected from unintentional "touching of the ball" in FED (8-4-2k exception).

Interestingly, I can't seem to find the FED rule that states that it is always interference when a runner intentionally allows the ball to touch him. Is there such a beast?

P-Sz
Old Sat Mar 16, 2002, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

See 8-4-2k Exception (pg. 56 in the 2002 FED rule book).

"If the runner is touching his base when he is hit by an infield fly, he is not out, but the batter is out on the infield fly rule. The ball is dead, even in the exception."