The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Runner hit by fair ball in foul terr. (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/42928-runner-hit-fair-ball-foul-terr.html)

dash_riprock Fri Mar 21, 2008 03:23pm

Runner hit by fair ball in foul terr.

R3 leading off 3rd entirely in foul ground. F5 playing behind the bag. Batter lines one off the bag, ball bounces back and contacts R3.

I have the batter out, dead ball in FED only. Play on in other codes. Any other views?

_Bruno_ Fri Mar 21, 2008 03:50pm

live ball under pro rules.

_Bruno_ Fri Mar 21, 2008 03:52pm

if R3 was contacted over foul territory ! he would be out if the ball touched him in fair territory.

Matt Fri Mar 21, 2008 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Bruno_
if R3 was contacted over foul territory ! he would be out if the ball touched him in fair territory.

Why would that make a difference? The ball is fair once it hit the bag.

Edit: I have an out in all codes.

Rich Ives Fri Mar 21, 2008 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt
Why would that make a difference? The ball is fair once it hit the bag.

Edit: I have an out in all codes.

OBR:

7.08 Any runner is out when --
(f) He is touched by a fair ball in fair territory . . .

NCAA

8-5 A runner is out when:
k. The runner, including a runner in contact with a base, is hit while in fair territory by a batted ball . . .

It may be a fair ball, but it isn't fair territory.

btdt Fri Mar 21, 2008 04:52pm

Why would the batter be out?

BigGuy Fri Mar 21, 2008 05:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock
R3 leading off 3rd entirely in foul ground. F5 playing behind the bag. Batter lines one off the bag, ball bounces back and contacts R3.

I have the batter out, dead ball in FED only. Play on in other codes. Any other views?

Nobody is out in FED or any other rule set. In this situation I'm assuming the runner was in foul territory when he was hit. Ball is still LIVE and the play goes on.

GarthB Fri Mar 21, 2008 06:04pm

Quote:

Really...an out? How come?

dash_riprock Fri Mar 21, 2008 06:07pm

You would think so, but:

FED 8-4-2-k Any runner is out when he is contacted by a fair batted ball...

garyevins Fri Mar 21, 2008 09:12pm

Common Sense

Folks, either I'm missing something here, but how in the heck can you can either runner (R3 or batter out). What you have is a fair batted ball, Yes, it hit 3 base. Therfore the ball is still alive and batter runner can advance. R3 is not out, as he was in fould territory. Ball is still alive..........

waltjp Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:23pm

I ran this by my chapter interpreter (FED Rules). His reply...

The runner is out. 8-4-2k covers it. Even though he was in foul territory, he was hit by a fair ball.

BigGuy Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp
I ran this by my chapter interpreter (FED Rules). His reply...

The runner is out. 8-4-2k covers it. Even though he was in foul territory, he was hit by a fair ball.

Get a better interpreter. It only applies if you get hit by a fair batted ball in fair territory. Below is the rule exactly from the book.

k. is contacted by a fair batted ball before it touches an infielder, or after it passes any infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire is convinced that another infielder has a play (5-1-1f, 6-1-5).

This rule does not apply here because the ball went into foul territory. In order for 8-4-2k to apply the ball must remain in fair territory.

UmpJM Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGuy
This rule does not apply here because the ball went into foul territory. In order for 8-4-2k to apply the ball must remain in fair territory.

BigGuy,

While I certainly hope (pray??) that your assertion is correct, do you have any "cite" that supports it?

When I first read dash's OP, I thought "WTF is he talking about?" Then I went and read the rules. Conspicuously absent from the FED rule is the phrase "fair territory". None of the FED case plays I've read clarifies it definitively one way or the other.

Maybe he IS out under FED rules. Maybe he's not. I'd like to know how they want that called.

JM

bossman72 Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:40am

Quote:

You would think so, but:

FED 8-4-2-k Any runner is out when he is contacted by a fair batted ball...

I don't have my case book with me, but this exact play is in the case book and it is NOT an out under FED rules. I think it's in the Rule 2 section...

waltjp Sat Mar 22, 2008 01:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72
I don't have my case book with me, but this exact play is in the case book and it is NOT an out under FED rules. I think it's in the Rule 2 section...

As JM just stated, please provide a reference. I thought Dash was wrong too but I can't find anything to dispute that this is an out. I followed up with my interpreter and he tells me it's an out. The guys saying 'out' have provided a rule reference. The 'safe' guys just 'know' it to be true.