The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question Catcher's Obstruction with Malicious Contact - Did we get it right?

Sitch: (NFHS) Bases loaded, 1 out. B/R obstructed by the catcher as he hits a ground ball to F4. I (PU) give delayed dead ball sign and watch the play develop. F4 opts to tag R1 and then throw to first for the DP. However, R1 brings his arms up and extends...obvious malicious contact call, made immediately by my partner. Kills the play, declares the interference and gets the third out at first on the B/R, subsequently declared the malicious contact, ejects R1.

Now, lots of commotion, offensive coach coming out to question the malicious call, defensive team running off the field, and I'm waving my hands and shouting (as it was loud) "I have catcher's obstruction." By this time, both coaches are in the area behind the pitcher's mound as my partner and I converge to discuss the play and the options. At our request to move away, neither coach moved more than 5 feet, so we removed ourselves by 15-20 feet and began to discuss. At the same time we're discussing the play, the opposing coaches begin to jaw at one another and almost come together, stopped by me stepping between them and the assistants restraining them. We ordered both teams to the dugouts immediately to restore some order.

What we determined was this: Working under the assumption the offensive coach would not want the resulting double play and would apply the catcher's obstruction, we awarded the B/R first base, R2 third base, and R3 scored, with R1 declared out as a result of the malicious contact and ejected from the game. Now we have two outs, runners on first and third, and the coaches restricted to the dugouts for good measure.

Did we get it right (other than wishing we would have dumped the coaches just on general principle, since both are Class A rats)? Our reasoning was that by applying the obstruction, all runners are protected to move up one base, due to being forced up by the B/R being awarded 1B. However, in FED, since malicious contact supercedes obstruction, then R1 is declared out as a result of the malicious contact (3-3-1n). Should R2 and R3 been allowed to advance, then, given that R1 never actually gained second base?

Edited to fix the runner's nomenclature. My apologies for a substandard post.

Last edited by scarolinablue; Mon Mar 03, 2008 at 01:38pm.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
edited to remove sarcastic remark. thanks for the edit.

Last edited by bobbybanaduck; Mon Mar 03, 2008 at 04:43pm.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 01:36pm
Stop staring at me swan.

yikes, what a mess, I've got to reread it a few more times...
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Was this a night game or a day game?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Penalize offenses in the order in which they occurred, as you did. So you're right to think that on the OBS the offense will not take an inning-ending double play. BR awarded 1B.

R2 and R3 are NOT forced to advance by the award to BR, which occurs after playing action and R1 is out for INT. I would have returned them to their bases, so that the result was bases still loaded, 2 outs.

Last edited by mbyron; Mon Mar 03, 2008 at 03:37pm.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue
However, in FED, since malicious contact supercedes obstruction, [/I]
I think this statement prevents any runs from scoring due to R2 and R3 moving up one base because of the catcher's obstruction. When R1 was declared out for malicious contact, neither R2 nor R3 was forced to advance.

I would still award the batter-runner first base, but R2 and R3 will remain at the base they were occupying at the time of the malicious contact.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

The principle that "malicious contact supercedes obstruction" applies when the malicious contact and obstruction involve the same player.

For instance, if F2 obstructs R3 on a play at the plate, and then R3 maliciously contacts F2, we do not award R3 home on the obstruction.

The principle does not apply to the OP, since the OBS occurred prior to and independently of the malicious contact.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with mbyron. I also think you would return the runners even if they were stealing/running on the pitch (canceling the award they would have received for the catcher's obstruction), since they can't advance on the interference by R1, whether or not there was MC..
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 04:05pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Okay, I'm going to try and break this down.

1. You have F2 on OBS...if the b/r safely reaches 1B, the OBS is ignored

2. R1 is tagged out (2 Out), then ejected for Malicious Contact. Immediate Dead ball. Return runners to last base reached prior to the MC...

My question here is that had no OBS occurred, could you have a double play here due to the willful and deliberate interference by illegally attempting to break up a double play?

So...we place B/R on 1B because of the OBS, then you also take the run off the board and return runners to 2B and 3B...bases loaded, 2 out. Which I think matches a couple other opinions on here.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Without the OBS you have 2 for sure.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 04:31pm
Stop staring at me swan.

okay, thanks Dash...didn't want to hijack the thread, so thx for the quick answer...
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08

1. You have F2 on OBS...if the b/r safely reaches 1B, the OBS is ignored
why would it be ignored?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

step 1 delayed dead ball on catcher obstruction

step 2 b/r at first base called for malicious contact called out and ejected.

the end... in my opinion
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 07:33pm
Stop staring at me swan.

well, if he successfully reaches 1B safely he wasn't really "obstructed" was he? w/o the OBS, you've pretty much got a double play...so if he successfully reaches 1B, minus the Malicious, what are you going to call? You'd still call the OBS, but ignore it becuase it didn't matter...the offense wasn't disadvantaged by the OBS...but I haven't seen a video clip...
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

1) Catcher's Int. Normal rule (as it applies here): BR gets first and all runners return, unless forced. Defense gets option of the play or the penalty.

2) Malicious contact and Intentional INT on R1. Normal Rule: R1 out and ejected and BR out. Runners return.

If we truly penalized in the order in which they occur, then we have R1 out and ejected and the BR (awarded first on the CI, which was administered first) out for the intentional interference by R1. R2 and R3 return because of the interference of R1.

...although mbyron's interp just "feels" more right since BOTH penalties are more or less enforced.

I'm confused...