The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Participant Safety (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/42481-participant-safety.html)

fitump56 Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp
I don't wish to make light of this accident and we all acknowledge that there's a certain degree of risk involved when small hard objects are traveling at high rates of speed in the general vicinity of unprotected individuals.....

Good for you, you obviously see the need for the helmet on coaches.....:D

Quote:

...but didn't the ball strike the coach in the neck? Requiring a helmet for adult coaches makes as much sense as requiring them to wear a cup.
sigh

SAump Sat Mar 08, 2008 01:00am

Concern for fans?

Quote:

Signature on the waiver here. Coaches box over there. Make sure to make any arrangements necessary to have your lifeless body hauled off the field. Not our responsibility anymore.

See how easy the blood washes off the hands of MLB?

For those of you who disagree with this one, consider the thousands of fans that sit behind the dugout in ballparks each years. Should teams provide those people with helmets, too? They're a heckuva a lot closer than Bowa, plus they can't get out of the way like a coach can. Their rights simply get waived by the tiny font on the back of their tickets.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb...?urn=mlb,69358
Where can I order one of those soft-cap liners available to MLB players and umps?

johnnyg08 Sat Mar 08, 2008 01:03am

They better start putting them on golfers too...could you imagine getting hit in the side of the head by a Tiger Woods drive?? yikes, that would hurt...every spectator should wear one too.

MichaelVA2000 Sat Mar 08, 2008 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08
every spectator should wear one too.

As an umpire, do you really care about specator's?:confused:

mbyron Sat Mar 08, 2008 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
As an umpire, do you really care about specator's?:confused:

No, but I do care about apostrophes. :mad:

radwaste50 Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:26am

Not sure I agree that adults cannot decide for themselves, but there are a few coaches that I will enjoy having them wear a nice hot helmet in the summer sun.

Interested Ump Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:42am

Quote:

They better start putting them on golfers too...could you imagine getting hit in the side of the head by a Tiger Woods drive?? yikes, that would hurt...

As soon as golfers have teammates who are running the holes, I am absolutely guaranteeing you that helmets will be mandatory. :D

fitump56 Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:43am

They better start putting them on golfers too...could you imagine getting hit in the side of the head by a Tiger Woods drive?? yikes, that would hurt...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Interested Ump
As soon as golfers have teammates who are running the holes, I am absolutely guaranteeing you that helmets will be mandatory. :D

ROTFLMAO!

fitump56 Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by radwaste50
Not sure I agree that adults cannot decide for themselves...

:eek:
They had decided by an almost 100 percentile. Why? Because it would look "odd" or it might upset the Old Guard umps (lol) or Tommy's Dad said my Dad looks st00pid...

They have spoken clearly and distinctly, no doubt whatsoever, which is exactly why the rule became mandatory instead of optional.

MichaelVA2000 Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
No, but I do care about apostrophes. :mad:

I'm happy for you as well as your teacher's.

mbyron Sat Mar 08, 2008 01:32pm

Quote:

I'm happy for you as well as your teacher's.

No doubt you think that's clever, as if repeating an error would make it funny.

GarthB Sat Mar 08, 2008 02:14pm

Quote:

No doubt you think that's clever, as if repeating an error would make it funny.

Now then, if everytime he repeated the error, someone would hit him in the head with a hammer....hilarious.

MichaelVA2000 Sat Mar 08, 2008 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
Now then, if everytime he repeated the error, someone would hit him in the head with a hammer....hilarious.

I agree, punctuation is important. How about spelling? I know I’ve misspelled on past posts. It’s a comfort knowing that we have people participating in this forum monitoring these very, very, very important issues. Long live the hammer!:D

Quote:

Correct mechanic is to verbalize "that's obstruction!" and don't be shy about it!

missing comma after “Verbalize”

Look for informations for equipement
Posted By mbyron

Informations? What's up with that? “Equipment” misspelled. I’m disappointed you did not catch these errors when Zorba posted.

Quote:

Be careful. While interference was most likley not really an option, by rule, obstruction may have been. "

“Likely” misspelled.

Quote:

What we got from national was that "above all, a fielder cannot block access to the bag without the ball...no exception for emminent possession or the throw taking the runner into the basepath".

Besides, the ball didn't arrive there accoring to the OP

“Eminent” misspelled. Base path should be two words. “According” misspelled.

GarthB Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:28pm

Quote:

I agree, punctuation is important. How about spelling? I know I’ve misspelled on past posts. It’s a comfort knowing that we have people participating in this forum monitoring these very, very, very important issues. Long live the hammer!:D

missing comma after “Verbalize”

Look for informations for equipement
Posted By mbyron

Informations? What's up with that? “Equipment” misspelled. I’m disappointed you did not catch these errors when Zorba posted.

“Likely” misspelled.

“Eminent” misspelled. Base path should be two words. “According” misspelled.

You obviously have me confused with someone who commented on the accuracy of your writing and making a suggestion that it might be intentional.

T'weren't me. Once again, RIF.

I just suggested how to make it funny.

"Comedy is pain plus time."

Maybe a sledge?

GarthB Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:36am

At the Washington State/Kent State series this weekend, the WSU base coaches wore helmets. The Kent State coaches did not. I inquired if it was a PAC 10 requirment and was told that it was not, WSU was doing it on their own.

BTW Mr. Byron, WSU took three of the four games, including a 21-4 shellacking of Kent State on Saturday.