The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike
And if the ball enters R1's shirt? Place the runner.
In the dugout! He's out! At least that's what we were told in our association meeting last year! Let me know if anyone else knows otherwise!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
In the dugout! He's out! At least that's what we were told in our association meeting last year! Let me know if anyone else knows otherwise!
A THROWN ball enters the runner's shirt, and you're calling him out? Wow. Or maybe you're thinking it's a batted ball? I really hope so... or else, get a rule book, cup.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
A THROWN ball enters the runner's shirt, and you're calling him out? Wow. Or maybe you're thinking it's a batted ball? I really hope so... or else, get a rule book, cup.
I kid you not! This question came up last year. No one had ever seen the play and the head of our association said it! No rule quoted, but he said he was out!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

njdevs00cup,

The head of your association needs to get his hands on something called a "Rules Book" - and look at 8-3-3f. (FED)

For OBR-based games, I would suggest you share the following with him:

Quote:
8-21-03 @ WUA Site — When a live ball enters a player's uniform or the catcher's gear, the ball is to be ruled dead and no subsequent outs can be obtained by the defense. The umpire is then directed to employ common sense and fairness and place the runners such that the act of the ball
becoming dead is nullified. The umpire may not, however, enforce any outs that he thinks may have occurred had the ball remained live. Outs occurring before the ball went out of play stand.
JM
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
njdevs00cup,

The head of your association needs to get his hands on something called a "Rules Book" - and look at 8-3-3f. (FED)

For OBR-based games, I would suggest you share the following with him:

JM
Thank you for clarifying this! The head of our association is a very knowledgable umpire, so I may have missed a detail in their somewhere. Glad the situation didn't happen this year, I would have looked like an a**!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

One thing about the rule book, it will list every way a batter or runner can be put out. If the out you are thinking about isn't listed in there, it's not an out.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 03:11am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump
One thing about the rule book, it will list every way a batter or runner can be put out. If the out you are thinking about isn't listed in there, it's not an out.
http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...33&postcount=1