The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   FED test questions (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/41921-fed-test-questions.html)

bob jenkins Sat Feb 16, 2008 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock
The question said F1 was in the windup with both hands at his sides. From this position, moving one arm does not commit him to pitch. Going to the mouth on the rubber is an illegal pitch (ball), but he has not balked.

Moving one hand to in front of the body and stoppng does not commit him to pitch. Other movements do.

See the case play on "adjusting the hat" (it might be the one Tee references).

And, yes, JohnnyG, FED rules are different.

Tim C Sat Feb 16, 2008 06:18pm

Dash

The NFHS overheads are FINALLY quite clear on this issue.

With a runner on base and F1 goes to his mouth, not mattering if it is the set or the wind-up position, it is a balk.

The rule clarification for 2008 made the going to the mouth situation simple.

If F1 is not in contact with the pitcher's plate he can go to his mouth as long as he wipes. It F1 is in contact with the picther's plate and there are runners on (does not matter if it is from wind-up or set, and he goes to his mouth it is a balk.

It really is quite clear in the written rule (Case Book)and the overheads.

If you look at both Case plays 6.2.1 A and 6.2.1B the violation is obvious.

Regards,

dash_riprock Sat Feb 16, 2008 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C
If you look at both Case plays 6.2.1 A and 6.2.1B the violation is obvious.

Regards,

Neither one proves your point. In 6.2.1 A, there are no runners on base, and in 6.2.1 B, F1 is in the set position.

However, from the FED website, 2008 Rules Interpretations, SITUATION 6: While on the pitcher's plate in the windup position, the pitcher has both hands at his side or both hands together in front of his body. He brings his pitching hand to his mouth and then distinctly wipes it off. RULING: This is an illegal pitch. Each runner on base would be awarded one base. If the bases were empty, a ball would be awarded to the batter. (6-1-2 Penalty)

From this, I concede. I change my answer to B, and I'll take those parting gifts.

Tim C Sat Feb 16, 2008 08:35pm

Dash:

I will say what separates you from many of the eumpire.com posters is that when shown that an answer is different from your view you accept the answer and move on.

I wish that all on this site had the same ability.

Regards,

dash_riprock Sat Feb 16, 2008 09:06pm

Tim

Thanks Tim. I'd much rather get something wrong on this forum than on the field. That's why I'm here.

BretMan Sat Feb 16, 2008 09:52pm

Gee, fellas...I told ya this was a balk 24 posts and two pages back!

And I'm right at least as often as a blind squirrel or a stopped clock... :rolleyes:

BigGuy Tue Feb 19, 2008 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
Bossman,

The correct answer to #65 IS True (i.e., it IS a balk). It's pretty much verbatim with case play 6.2.1B(b).

Also, from the POE section of the rulebook (top of p.69 for those following along at home):

(If there are runners on base,) "Going to the mouth while in contact with the pitcher's plate is a balk, not because the pitcher goes to his mouth, but because the action simulates the start of the pitching motion."

So your reasoning seems sound to me.

Now I haven't yet seen an "official" answer key, but the correct answer to the question is True, regardless of what the answer key says. Did FED screw the pooch on this one too?

JM

Official answer key is TRUE.

MadCityRef Wed Feb 20, 2008 01:23am

Quote:

"Yeah, Timmy don't like me."

Is that the best you got?

Sad.

I'll use my best when OSU wins a game.

Tim C Wed Feb 20, 2008 08:47am

Hmmm,

"I'll use my best when OSU wins a game."

I am confused. OSU has won the last TWO National Championships.

You are an odd one.

Regards,

MrUmpire Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:08am

Quote:

"I'll use my best when OSU wins a game."

I am confused. OSU has won the last TWO National Championships.

You are an odd one.

Regards,

Perhaps he meant Oklahoma State University?

BretMan Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:25pm

Must be Ohio State University which has (much to my chagrin) played in, and lost, not only the last two college football championship games, but also the NCAA basketball championship game!

Rita C Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:06am

Obr

Remember all, in OBR, it is not a balk or illegal pitch for a pitcher to bring his hand to his mouth.

Rita

mbyron Fri Feb 22, 2008 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C
Remember all, in OBR, it is not a balk or illegal pitch for a pitcher to bring his hand to his mouth.

Rita

As long as he's off the mound.

BTW, Rita, did you notice the title of this thread? :eek:

bob jenkins Fri Feb 22, 2008 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
As long as he's off the mound.

BTW, Rita, did you notice the title of this thread? :eek:

Even if he's on the mound it's not a balk or an illegal pitch. IT's a "ball".

UmpJM Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:10am

bob,

Technically, I believe it's an "illegal act". ;)

JM