The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

In a thread below On Getting Good, a number of posters indicated that game experience is the best way to get good. In your opinion, how does one maximize game experience so that it translate into becoming a better umpire? Sheer of volume of games? Specific levels of baseball? Pregame and postgame rituals? Feedback and evaluations? Attending clinics to check progress? Others?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

When I get good, I'll let you know
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 09:13pm
Veteran College Umpire

Sheer volume of games is good and bad - good from the standpoint that you'll have more opportunity to see situations, and bad from the standpoint that you'll have more opportunity to screw up (!). Yes, work a LOT of games, but pick your partner's brains in a solid pregame and postgame. Seek out critiques from anyone and everyone who may know something about umpiring - then with experience you'll be able to glean from all of that input the really valuable information that will make you - A Good One. Never be satisfied with your work - ever. Pick one new thing to try every year - strike call, plate stance, how you communicate with your partner...it's how you find what works for you. And if you come across a sticky situation, dig for the answer - and don't quit looking just because you find one!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
ASK for Feedback

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike M
In a thread below On Getting Good, a number of posters indicated that game experience is the best way to get good. In your opinion, how does one maximize game experience so that it translate into becoming a better umpire? Sheer of volume of games? Specific levels of baseball? Pregame and postgame rituals? Feedback and evaluations? Attending clinics to check progress? Others?
Working with a respected senior guy ASK him how he thought you did and if he has any ideas for improvement. Unless I am assigned to evaluate an umpire I only offer advice when requested.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Mike M

The best way is to have someone Mentor you and also "rack someone's brains" which seems to be missing today. Also, one MUST be able to accept constructive criticism in order to succeed. Do not "get bent out of shape" when someone is trying to help you.

Also, an umpire must be honest with oneself. "How far do you really want to go" and am I really ready to move up" You'd be surprised at how many umpires wanted to move up and once they got their decided "hey this isn't for me"

Generally, when you move-up one has to "home in" on their game management skills and know how to handle situations when one screws the pooch

SUMMARY:

1. The first thing to do is to define one's goals

ie; Are you single, married, married with children, etc.
Umpiring is a big committment espcially if you want to advance, and requires some sacrifices on those you love. There are many meetings you must attend, clinics and the games themselves.

2. Find someone whom you admire or trust and have that person mentor you.

3. Do as many games as fit your schedule. Try and have someone watch you and give you a good honest evaluation, so you know what things to work on in order to improve.

4. Finally, if you do want to try and go to the "show" then talk to someone who has been there.

I know I left one thing out - The Internet. The internet can be a very useful tool but you have to be careful and know who you are dealing with. One can say what they want about Carl Childress and other than the internet I have never met the man in person but from his posts, IMO he would help anyone he could or at least steer one in the right direction. Another person who comes to mind is Jon Bible.

Pete Booth