The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 1.57 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Umpiring Moment of the Year

What memory from this year's umpiring season sticks in your mind? This is the place to list your best games, most funny moments and most memorable incidents. I'll start off by recalling a game at CDP where the coach called in a site convenor to appeal an unnannounced substitution. While this is totally legal, the team's scorekeeper, complete with a "CDP Grandpa" shirt came onto the field and argued to the convenor that the unannounced substitute hitter should be called out. The kicker was when the coach said "and he's been umpiring for 30 years as well". I thought of you guys at that moment and did my best to keep a straight face.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

My favorite moment of the 2007 high school season was being selected to work the plate for the Iowa High School Class 4A Championship game. This was only my 3rd trip to the state tournament and I got to work the dish for the largest class. They play the tournament at Principal Park where the Iowa Cubs play. Beautiful field. At night, the state capital's dome illuminates in the background to create an awesome sight. I am hoping to get back to Des Moines again this summer.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
My most memorable is a rules screw up I made. Won't forget that again, I promise you that. And, IMO, it should be my most memorable.

As far as incidents, a coach who I had already ejected once in the year telling my "partner" after a close call at 2nd that went against his team to "watch your partner out there" without any response from the PU other than "ok, coach."

Signing off for 2007, with some humor below

Tuss

Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Mine

Is a 16U D5 playoff game I did with my eldest son.
I had the dish, he was BU. Pleasant game in almost all respects except for one mouthy daddy coach.

Bang bang at 1 for the final out of the game. BU called it right.

As we exit, daddy coach was too prolonged in his complaint.

I turned on my heel a mere 2 feet from the exit and toss him. With a look of astonishment, he says, "game's over, what are you gonna do now?"

Me; "I'm gonna go tell your Manager that you're banned from your next two games, which are your last two games of the season."

Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
I had the dish, he was BU. Pleasant game in almost all respects except for one mouthy daddy coach.

I turned on my heel a mere 2 feet from the exit and toss him. With a look of astonishment, he says, "game's over, what are you gonna do now?"

Me; "I'm gonna go tell your Manager that you're banned from your next two games, which are your last two games of the season."

I my area, an umpire would not be allowed to decide the amount of games a participant is disqualified.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
I my area, an umpire would not be allowed to decide the amount of games a participant is disqualified.
Maybe that is his league's required suspension for an ejection?
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000

As an (ahem) NCAA umpire, no doubt you are aware that there are times when it is the umpire's job to notify a coach or player of his punishment, e.g. when a coach makes physical contact with the umpire, the umpire ejects him and informs him, "That's a suspension."

Perhaps that practice is in place where Rcichon works.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 06:00pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I worked my first HS State Tournament. Hopefully I'll earn more opportunities! Not in the State Tournament, but I also had my biggest rule f-up of my career...never to happend again.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Two high points of 2007: First was working with two of my best friends in an exhibition game between our local AA MiLB team and a local D2 college.
Second was advancing to the semi-finals in the High School playoffs.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
As an (ahem) NCAA umpire, no doubt you are aware that there are times when it is the umpire's job to notify a coach or player of his punishment, e.g. when a coach makes physical contact with the umpire, the umpire ejects him and informs him, "That's a suspension."

Perhaps that practice is in place where Rcichon works.
I interpreted from the way Rcichon's post was written that he was deciding the punishment. If that' common practice in his area or if Rcichon was only notifying the "daddy coach" about the required punishment of his being ejected, I stand corrected.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 07:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon

I am just a bit confused here.

Was this a triple-elimination playoff game? If it was a playoff game, and the team with the ejection lost, wouldn't that be the end of their season? How come they still have two games left? Isn't the regular season already over if it's a playoff game?

And just out of curiosity, how come your son didn't eject the coach since it was his call that was being argued?

Just asking for some clarification. Thanks.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

I was PU for my second game of the HS season. 1-0, winning pitcher pitched a one hitter with about 10 K's, the other a three hitter with about 8 K's. One hour 15 minutes. Great game.

I also worked a HS game with my son where he tossed a coach. I was PU, close play at 1b, runner was banged, asst coach goes nuts and my son tossed him, instantantly Catcher turns to me and asks "what happened?" I say "I don't know but it he must have said something personal or profane because it sure wasn't prolonged". That was memorable.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
mine was monday, july 9th.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
mine was monday, july 9th.

Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 11:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote: