The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

In another Forum there was a thread titled "Strip Search", basically it dealt with a Board memeber who received complaints that umpires were exposing themselves while getting dressed and the Board member wanted the UIC to investigate.

Here's the link for a reference,

http://www.umpire.org/ (General Discussion area)

I'm afraid that one day an umpire will be unjustly accused of exposing themselves. Baseball is one if not the only Amateur Sport in which Dressing Rooms are not provided, especially during the Summer / Fall Programs.

I think most of us do our best to make certain that we do not embarrass ourselves or expose ourselves to the public, but the fact remains depending upon where you umpire, there is no "hidden place" in which to dress.

Sometimes, I drive off site and get dressed, but that isn't always feasible especially when I'm pressed for time. In additon, you can't always get into the school to change in the locker / bathrooms because they are closed-up.

IMO the REAL answer is for Umpires to stick together and refuse to umpire unless some form of accomodations can be supplied. If that means building umpire rooms throughout the area we work in (doesn't have to be made of marble), then so be it.

As mentioned, IMO it's just a matter of time before an umpire is falsely accused which could not only ruin his umpiring career but jeopardize one's job status in the community, because even if one is innocent, people will judge you guilty and give you that funny look whenever you are present.

Your thoughts

Pete Booth

Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

As I stated on that other forum, I put on the McDavid shorts at home and I will not us a porta-potty or a filthy bathroom to change. If the facility that I officiate at has no place to change, I will sit in a chair at the back of my station wagon and change in the parking lot.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

1. Regards school Ball. Having officiated Football and basketball and always having decent changing facilities, I finally asksed an AD last week why umpires weren't provided with the same consideration. His response? Nobody asked. He has assured me that his school will provide locker room facilities for umpires just as it does for other officials.

I checked in with another AD whose response was, "Most umpires pull up about 15 minutes before game time and don't leave enough time to go to the locker room and change before a game. If they get here on time and ask, they can use the officials room like any other official."

Lesson: Ask to use the facilities and allot enought time to change at the school.

2. Summer ball: Most fields here are either at schools which are locked up or at fields with no facilities. In the past I arrived dressed. At times I had to change at work. When I had the plate, I put my gear on in the parking lot. Since I wear plate pants its easy to get the guards under the pant legs.

This year I'm trying something new. I've constructed a portable dressing room that I can put together and take apart easily and carry in my car. It is made of curtains and poly pipe and is 40" by 40" by 60". I will set it up at the rear of my Subaru wagon and be able to change and still see over the top of it.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up A Business Opportunity

Quick, apply for a patent. I smell a businees oppoerunity. Can not wait to find the Portable Dressing Room on the Gerry Davis site or Honigs.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Add a sun shade, and a retractable clothes line to hang the wet clothes on between games! $69,95 + shipping?
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Aside from the convenience of having everything either hanging up or neatly tucked away in drawers, making sure I had a convenient changing place is why I drive a van. The back is loaded with 3 sets of those plastic drawers and I removed the middle seats so I've got loads of room to change. It's great - makes me wish I'd gotten a van years earlier.

Steve M