The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

New MLB umpire web site

I just found a new website by mlb umpire Rob Drake. It looks interesting. The season hasn't started, but it looks like it might be good when it does. It has good pictures, too.
www.theumpirelife.com

BigBlue8
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Just looks like a blog to me. May make for decent stories when the season starts; I could care less about him playing golf.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 12:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Just looks like a blog to me. May make for decent stories when the season starts; I could care less about him playing golf.
Some pretty cool pictures though.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Rob Drake is a very good umpire in my opinion , but he is not a MLB umpire. He is a PCL umpire who has umpired several hundred MLB games, but he is not on the MLB staff.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

retrosheet.org

this is a website that tells you every person that has umpired in the big leagues and how many games they have. Rob has 911. He had more thann some of the guys on the full time staff. Must be becuase of all the new guys hired when they tried to strike. I don't think he has worked in the PCL in a few years though.
Bigblue8
www.retrosheet.org
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue8
this is a website that tells you every person that has umpired in the big leagues and how many games they have. Rob has 911. He had more thann some of the guys on the full time staff. Must be becuase of all the new guys hired when they tried to strike. I don't think he has worked in the PCL in a few years though.
Bigblue8
www.retrosheet.org
Unless something has changed in the past few days, Rob is not a full time MLB umpire. His full time assignment is listed as the Triple A PCL, but like Guccione and some others, he works far more ML games as a replacement than he does MiLB games. If I'm not mistaken, Gucce had more plate games at the ML level than most "full time" ML umpires.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I wonder if it would be appropriate for Rob Drake to include MLB in his signature if he chose to post here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Tim.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Who cares?

Who cares if he is full-time or not? He obviously has been working a long time. Those types of posts are why those guys don't even come to these message boards. Sounds like he is pretty respectful of all amateur umpires and umpiring in general. I don't even know the guy, but he seems genuine. If he works in MLB all the time, than he should sign MLB next to his name.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue8
Who cares if he is full-time or not? He obviously has been working a long time. Those types of posts are why those guys don't even come to these message boards.
Lighten up, Francis. I don't think anyone was being disrespectful. There was speculation as to whether or not Drake was full time or one of those still be strung along by ML. The speculation was answered without comment or criticism.

Personally, I think Drake and Gucce and doing excellent jobs under uncertain circumstances and are getting screwed by MLB as well as the WUA, who should negotiate for the right to represent AAA umpires who work a certain number of ML games.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry if it came off that way. I agree they must be getting screwed if they have gone this long without getting a job. oh well, its a good site. LOL