The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Question

1st Post!
My Association is interested in starting a small video/book library for members. I'm wondering about the Baseball Umpires' Guidebooks available from referee.com. For the 3 volumes plus binder that's $80US + postage, or some $140CA.
Before we part with this kind of money we would appreciate hearing from someone who has used this publication (i.e. someone without a vested interest!)
Cheers.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up An Investment

The three books provided a great level of information on positioning, mechanics and communications for two man and three man systems. Spread among your association it would be a wise investment. The books could be used by newer members to learn about basic mechanics and communication. You could also use the books as starting material for association discussion of mechanics and communications.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Buster
I have all three and find that there is just too much information there. I know that sounds strange but most consider the UDP (red book) 2-man umpire's manual the bible on 2-man mechanics. Combine that with the current PBUC manual which covers tons of interps and 3 and 4 man mechanics. Now you have yourself covered in two inexpensive books. The Guidebooks cover almost every possibility for every runner combination and some contradict the to previously mentioned manuals. So, if you don't have 140 loonies (70 toonies) burning a hole in your pocket, I would start out with two books that are used by the pros and many amateur associations.

Just a thought, not a sermon

Buster
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by Buster
I have all three and find that there is just too much information there. I know that sounds strange but most consider the UDP (red book) 2-man umpire's manual the bible on 2-man mechanics. Combine that with the current PBUC manual which covers tons of interps and 3 and 4 man mechanics. Now you have yourself covered in two inexpensive books. The Guidebooks cover almost every possibility for every runner combination and some contradict the to previously mentioned manuals. So, if you don't have 140 loonies (70 toonies) burning a hole in your pocket, I would start out with two books that are used by the pros and many amateur associations.

Just a thought, not a sermon

Buster
I agree with Buster. There are better choices. The Guidebooks are overly verbose and unreasonably expensive. Only those umpires in your organization who are very dedicated will bother to make it beyond page 10.

For the red book that Buster is referring to ($14.50 plus $4 s&h), as well as the PBUC Umpire Manual ($14.95 plus $4 s&h), visit this page:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/p...asp?pageid=387
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Cool Thanks

Thanks for your help. I'm planning on starting with the two less expensive manuals and see where we might go from there. I'll be in Florida (YES!) for a week in March so will have them mailed to me there.
Cheers!