The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wadep1965 Send a message via Yahoo to wadep1965
Fellow umps! I hope this play hasn't made the rounds on this forum, but here goes. I apologize if it's a duplication, but would appreciate the ruling.

Play: (Federation or Pro): The home team is trailing 2-0 going into the bottom of the last inning. Making the story shorter, the bases become loaded and there are now two outs. Before the next batter can come to the plate, the 1st base coach asks for time to conference with his runners, and is granted such by the UIC.

After a minute or so, the huddle of three baserunners and one coach breaks, and all is seemingly ready to go. The UIC puts the ball into play, and restores live action. During the wind-up, and before the pitcher actually releases the ball, the VISITING coach comes running out of the dugout screaming "TIME!" This, of course, causes his pitcher to freeze in mid-throw. The UIC calls "Balk" and grants the runners one base each. He then grants the coach his time-out.

The coach comes to the UIC, not to argue the balk, but to point out that during the conference at first base, the home team had switched the runners who were at 1st and 2nd. It seems that the runner on 1st was much faster than the one on 2nd (the tying run) and so the coach swapped them coming out of the conference.

How do you rule?
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

I check my lineup card. If the coach is correct, I rule a flagrant unsportsmanlike act, forfeit the game, and write a letter to my assignor, with copies to the school AD and principal, and to the league/state association that school belongs to.

Bob
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

While I don't think I'd forfeit the game, I'd most certainly dump the coach and the players involved. If they forfeited due to lack of players, then so be it.

If the visiting coach was incorrect in his statements about the runners swapping spots and the runners are still in their correct running positions, I'd still likely not balk the pitcher despite the actions unless the offense had apparently started some type of play. I'll take the heat on this one, but in a 2-0 game I'm unlikely to allow that action to effect the game due to a legitimate concern. I'd merely say I had granted time to the coach (ala NFL Cleveland.....LOL).

Tough situation to address, but I'll handle it with CSFP if it should ever occur. No advantage was gained or lost by the actions that occurred. Needless to say, third world plays start $hithou$es.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Balks and Calling Time

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
While I don't think I'd forfeit the game, I'd most certainly dump the coach and the players involved. If they forfeited due to lack of players, then so be it.

If the visiting coach was incorrect in his statements about the runners swapping spots and the runners are still in their correct running positions. I'd still likely not balk the pitcher despite the actions unless the offense had apparently started some type of play. I'll take the heat on this one, but in a 2-0 game I'm unlikely to allow that action to effect the game due to a legitimate concern. I'd merely say I had granted time to the coach (ala NFL Cleveland.....LOL).

Tough situation to address, but I'll handle it with CSFP if it should ever occur. No advantage was gained or lost by the actions that occurred. Needless to say, third world plays start $hithou$es.

Just my opinion,

Freix

I think it is a good practice not to call a balk when a coach has called "Time". True, it is more likely to be the Offensive coach rather than the defensive coach. I definitely agree that the offending coach is gone. He is not just cheating. He is disrespecting baseball (not sure which rule that falls under). I may just switch runners back to the original bases since they were [i]"just following orders.[i] Jim / NYC
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

No balk. Coach ejected for cheating. Also, once the ball became live, hadn't the runner originally on first passed the runner originally on second?
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Talking I'd rule to "forfeit" .....

Especially since, the unsportsmanlike act(s) directly contibuted to the balk; which, allowed a R3 to score and advanced the possible tying run and maybe even the winning run. Be that as it may.....

Per Fed. Rule's: 1-15-1, 2-15/27-1-g, 3-3-1-g-4(*Penalty!), 4-4-1, and lastly 10-2-2/3-f-g-h, considering these, it does not appear that a "forfeit" can be made - at this moment at least!

But, in light of this "mandatory" pre-game statement which is to be given by the umpire(s):
"New York State Public High School Athletic Association requires Officials to enforce all Rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by coaches and players. There will be no tolerance for negative statements or actions between opposing players, especially trash-talking, taunting, or baiting of opponents. If such comments are heard, a penalty will be assessed immediately. We have been instructed not to issue warnings during the contest. It is strongly suggested that you remind your participants of this policy."

It would seem that the Fed. umpire is bound to rule according to the rules as written.....and, since under rule 3-3-1-g-4 Penalty provision the warning was issued during the pre-game; which, the player's violated = FORFEIT!!!
Score = Visitor 02 / Home 00

If, it wasn't a forfeit; and, since the manager/coach is hardly going to admit that this was deliberate, I would negate the Balk call, wipe out R3's run from scoring and put R3 back on 3rd, then dump R2 and R1 for their unportsmanlike conduct. It would seem that the offensive manager/coach is more than likely going to say something which would require their early dismissal as well.
Now, let's play - if we still can..... from here on in you can almost bet that every pitch "against the batter" you will hear a "moan", indicating that that you must be deliberately calling a larger zone, "to even things up"!!!

Now, OBR - is a different matter:
A game may be forfeited to the opposing team when a team_ (b) Employs tactics palpably designed to delay or shorten the game;

(c) Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules.

and, that's my story; and, I'm sticking to it..... well, for now at least!
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Why not just make it simple. 1st calm the defensive coach down if he is right tell him to go out and talk to his pitcher and get ready to put the ball into play. Since no damage is going to done by awarding the balk advance the runners make the ball call on the pitch, wait till you put the ball back into play, step back and call the runner on 3rd out for passing the runner who is now standing on 2nd and this situation that would be the 3rd out and ball game and Yes if the offensive coach wants to protest tell him to please do so he can explain his cheating actions to the board.

Now if the situation was different and there had not been 2 outs or a 2 run lead I probably would of ignored the balk saying coach called time 1st called the runner on 2nd out for passing the runner, called the runner out at 1st for being off the base and ejected for causing a travesty to the game for running the bases in the reverse order and I am sure in just a short time I would be sending his coach on the road out the gate too for arguing the call

Just some thoughts

Don
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

that would perhaps be the easier way

wow - - - totally missed the passed runner issue - my bad!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
I can only imagine how dramatic this situation on the surface appears to be. However, cooler minds should prevail. Obviously in the short period of time it takes to piece the elements of this play together, one can easily rule accordingly.

Umpire calls time, after coaches outburst. Before pre-judging what the coach did and why or if he was in violation of any rule, give him the courtesey of explaining his actions.

If he is correct, R2 and R1 switched bases, confirm that fact by checking the line-up cards and scorebook if necessary. Next step. Ejection of the home team coach for unsportsmanlike conduct; specifically cheating. Follow that by declaring an out due to the runners switching position, which could have only been accomplished by passing each other. Game over.

If while inspecting the line-up cards you determine that no violation occured, then I would enforce a balk penalty and move the runners up one base.

The important thing here is to take a moment and be certain to sort out what happened before making any decision. It's better to take a little more time and get the play correct, than to 'knee-jerk' and call something that will only demonstrate your inablity to act under pressure.

Take you time; get it right.

ED