The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

If you think about it, most catchers end up scrambling on hands and feet to get to a passed ball that goes back behind them, and the PU is the person who just side steps to get out of the way. Squatting, like in the picture, does not lend itself to easy, comfortable, BALANCED, and quick lateral movement. That is why the PU needs to be higher than where he is in the picture.

LomUmp
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 02:58am

What infuriates me is that these fat bashers on this forum continue to engage in this practice regardless of the fact that it shows a complete lack of interpersonal relationship skills. It is not socially acceptable to discriminate against people based on many things, including weight-height ratio, body fat percentage, or physical disability.

Besides, I'm a pretty big guy at 6', 288 lbs., but I can still do a catcher's squat repeatedly if I so choose. I don't do it because it is an improper stance when working the plate. It is a great stance, OTOH, for taking a crap on a camping trip in the woods.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
It is a great stance, OTOH, for taking a crap on a camping trip in the woods.
Several posters here have shown more talent in this than in officiating. That's for sure.

Tim.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 10:55am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDump56
Several posters here have shown more talent in this than in officiating. That's for sure.

That's because they are wipers, and don't wear diapers, like a few posters around here. That's for sure. Give it a rest already......
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Give it a rest already......
Physician, heal thyself.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 03:54pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Physician, heal thyself.
I'm in first year medical school compared to some who have taken the "hypocritical" oath...........
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
I'm in first year medical school compared to some who have taken the "hypocritical" oath...........
The issue is not "their" actions, it's yours.

That said, the advice could be followed by several individuals.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 09:35pm

That would make the rest of the forum M.D.s in that case.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:42am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Thanks Canada for quoting this poster (who I have very nicely placed on my ignore list)!!..

So Fitty, you advocate this stance for those of us who are in good enough physical condition to attempt it?
Sorry RPatrino, you won't see my answer since I am on your "I" list so I decline to give one.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:44am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchblue612
Geez, do we really need to find some picture of some young umpire out of some field somewhere and slam his stance and make fun of him? Yeesh, we all have been there. Maybe our stance was ok, but there was probably something else in our game that needed a lot of work.
We are all in this together. You slam others to just feel better about yourselves?
Must be the case. It certainly hasn't a thing to do with showing experience in umpiring, sad to say.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:48am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by piaa_ump
That was my exact thought when I saw this.........I bet he is still catching at some level..........

and you are right.........he wont be able to do that (not that he should want to) in a few years......
Wrong as to able, who knows as to want to.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What infuriates me is that these fat bashers on this forum continue to engage in this practice regardless of the fact that it shows a complete lack of interpersonal relationship skills. It is not socially acceptable to discriminate against people based on many things, including weight-height ratio, body fat percentage, or physical disability.

Besides, I'm a pretty big guy at 6', 288 lbs., but I can still do a catcher's squat repeatedly if I so choose. I don't do it because it is an improper stance when working the plate. It is a great stance, OTOH, for taking a crap on a camping trip in the woods.
Steve, quit being so paranoid. Nobody here was fat bashing. I was bashing umpires who are too lazy to work the plate, or 2nd base in a four man system, or cover 2nd base when their partner goes out on a fly to right. As a side note, many of these same guys don't exercise, but use age and genetics as an excuse for why they are so out of shape.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 09:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Steve, quit being so paranoid. Nobody here was fat bashing. I was bashing umpires who are too lazy to work the plate, or 2nd base in a four man system, or cover 2nd base when their partner goes out on a fly to right. As a side note, many of these same guys don't exercise, but use age and genetics as an excuse for why they are so out of shape.
I'm not paranoid. Don't try to tell me that fitump was not fat bashing, as that is one of his favorite hobbies. Oh, and there are plenty of skinny folks out there who try to get out of working the plate all the time. I love working the plate and I hustle my a$$ off. Very similar to what you see in Rich's videos he just posted. I run back to my positions too, I never walk. I run out to the outfield at the end of innings on the bases. I run to the line when the catcher sends it down. I hustle all the time. Most overweight umpires who can get around well hustle too, because of the misperception that we are just fat, lazy slobs.

Again you seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth. Earlier you agreed that genetics play a big role in many obese (or overweight) people. This indeed does make it extremely difficult to take off weight for some people. Then in this post you say that genetics is used as an "excuse." Which is it, an important role in certain overweight people, or just an excuse for being out of shape?

Here is the fact: Many overweight people are also physically challenged in other health related areas, and simply cannot get the weight off. 65% of the population in the United States is considered by weight-to-height ratios to be obese. Fat people are certainly not a minority group.

On the other hand, every week I seem to hear of a skinny, "in shape," borderline anorexic star athlete keeling over dead in a marathon race, like that former Notre Dame star. Go figure.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is the fact: Many overweight people are also physically challenged in other health related areas, and simply cannot get the weight off.
Studies indicate that while health issues and weight go hand in hand, more often it is the weight issues that is the precursor to the health issue, e.g. diabetes and heart disease.

Those with both health issues and weight issues are the ones who should be taking the weight off the most.

Quote:
65% of the population in the United States is considered by weight-to-height ratios to be obese. Fat people are certainly not a minority group.
Yet in many areas they are clamoring for minority group status and protection.

Quote:
On the other hand, every week I seem to hear of a skinny, "in shape," borderline anorexic star athlete keeling over dead in a marathon race, like that former Notre Dame star. Go figure.
The number of thin people dying from physical exertion is miniscule in comparison. That's why it makes the news.

I am not unsympathetic. I have fought a tendency to gain weight since I turned 45. But I do fight, and right now I have it under control. The fight is easier these days since a "come to Jesus" meeting over my heart with a cardiologist. Nothing motivates like the ultimate consequence.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which is it, an important role in certain overweight people, or just an excuse for being out of shape?
Both. Genetics certainly does have an influence on one's weight. But so do eating habits and exercise. While some people are bound to be a bit round around the edges, they should at least do their best to keep their weight under control.

I should add that one's size and physique does have an influence on how an umpire is treated and percieved. Someone who comes out to the ballpark in this kind of shape is going to find it hard to earn much respect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKqbONBsUJs

Quote:
The fight is easier these days since a "come to Jesus" meeting over my heart with a cardiologist. Nothing motivates like the ultimate consequence.
I'm sorry to hear this, and I hope you stay healthy. When did this happen, what happened, etc.?
Closed Thread