Thread: really?
View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Here is the fact: Many overweight people are also physically challenged in other health related areas, and simply cannot get the weight off.
Studies indicate that while health issues and weight go hand in hand, more often it is the weight issues that is the precursor to the health issue, e.g. diabetes and heart disease.

Those with both health issues and weight issues are the ones who should be taking the weight off the most.

Quote:
65% of the population in the United States is considered by weight-to-height ratios to be obese. Fat people are certainly not a minority group.
Yet in many areas they are clamoring for minority group status and protection.

Quote:
On the other hand, every week I seem to hear of a skinny, "in shape," borderline anorexic star athlete keeling over dead in a marathon race, like that former Notre Dame star. Go figure.
The number of thin people dying from physical exertion is miniscule in comparison. That's why it makes the news.

I am not unsympathetic. I have fought a tendency to gain weight since I turned 45. But I do fight, and right now I have it under control. The fight is easier these days since a "come to Jesus" meeting over my heart with a cardiologist. Nothing motivates like the ultimate consequence.