The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

70 WS Broadcast

Just saw a portion of a broadcast called "Oriolies Classics" on the local sports network here in the DC area. The broadcast was game 5 of the 1970 WS, Orioles vs Reds. Many things I saw fascinated me as a long time baseball fan and recent umpire.

First the game, which was the clincher of the series was a day game. The broadcast was the NBC national telecast. Gowdy and someone else who I couldn't ID did the game. No analysis, strategy discussions whatsoever by the guys in the booth during the game. Just telling you what happened. No tech stuff, i.e., ball tracker, strike zone box either, just play by play. Orioles left side of infield was unreal BTW, and was probably the difference in the series.

Umpires all wore sport coat type jackets. BUs, skinny ties. I couldn't tell for sure, but looked like PU was wearing a soft protector that could be seen from the top of his jacket. Looked like the foam ribs showing at the top. I have a hard time imagining calling MLB w/a soft protector.

No punch outs on strike 3 looking. He just put up the right arm.

Weaver was in his 3rd season of managing. His first post season in 69 was a disaster given what the expectations were vs the Mets, and his doubters were many. The Orioles won the game and the series 4-1, and the broadcast went into the winning locker room. Weaver was visibly shaking as if he couldn't believe that they actually won. Imagine a future HOF manager being that unsure of himself early in his career.

Sparky Anderson showed up in the Orioles clubhouse and praised the Orioles and Weaver. At that time, Sparky also had several more seasons of post season failure ahead of him, and yes they were saying the Reds couldn't win the big one prior to '75. He good naturedly said to Brooks Robinson that someone ought to shoot him.

In the locker room segment nothing was rushed. Orioles broadcaster Chuck Thompson got almost every team member on camera if only for second or two, and even the batboy. That day was probably the highlight of that kid's life, but moments like that are not important enough to make it onto network TV anymore. If I recall, back then the network would involve the local broadcasters of the participating teams almost every year in the WS so the whole country got to feel some of the local spirit. Thompson also said that the Reds had the look of a team that would be in many more WS to come. That was the pre Morgan, Griffey, Driessen Reds too.

At the very end of the locker room segment, Thompson and Tony Kubek did about a minute of analysis from the locker room as to why the Orioles won the series and that was it for analysis.

I guess back then the game was more about the players, their supporting cast, the city, etc and less about the pundits, analysts, experts, blah blah.

Seeing the way the game was broadcast I had mixed feelings about all the analysis that we get today with McCarver, Morgan, ESPN etc. I think that most current day viewers don't have a clue as to what they are saying and probably find it to be alienating. Maybe that's why baseball ratings are tanking. However, if one really wants to learn the fine points of the game and become its student, it gives you a lot to think about. My generation that grew up watching baseball in the 60s and 70s didn't have that opportunity to learn the game in that way.

Thanks for reading this ramble.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 08:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ Blue
Umpires all wore sport coat type jackets. BUs, skinny ties. I couldn't tell for sure, but looked like PU was wearing a soft protector that could be seen from the top of his jacket. Looked like the foam ribs showing at the top. I have a hard time imagining calling MLB w/a soft protector.

No punch outs on strike 3 looking. He just put up the right arm.
The umpire working the plate was the late Billy Williams. He wore the NL inside chest protector. There were no West Vests back then and everything was soft padded. His protector if I recall was similar or the same as the one Durwood Merrill wore, with tuck and roll overstuffed padding.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 08:34pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
The umpire working the plate was the late Billy Williams. He wore the NL inside chest protector. There were no West Vests back then and everything was soft padded. His protector if I recall was similar or the same as the one Durwood Merrill wore, with tuck and roll overstuffed padding.
So you're saying Durwood Merrill, an AL umpire wore a NL chest protecter. I didn't know there was a difference. I've had the pleasure of talking to ole' Durwood a couple times. If you're ever out in east Texas around the small town of Hooks, look him up. He'll sit down and talk your ear off.

The funniest thing he ever told me was how Augie Donatelli thought he was such a great umpire, but he really wasn't. That story was a long time ago, but it still makes me laugh to this day.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 08:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
So you're saying Durwood Merrill, an AL umpire wore a NL chest protecter. I didn't know there was a difference. I've had the pleasure of talking to ole' Durwood a couple times. If you're ever out in east Texas around the small town of Hooks, look him up. He'll sit down and talk your ear off.

The funniest thing he ever told me was how Augie Donatelli thought he was such a great umpire, but he really wasn't. That story was a long time ago, but it still makes me laugh to this day.
Yes, Durwood Merrill wore an inside protector. Must you always try to contradict what I say? I'm right more often than not.

This is the protector to which I was referring. If the photo were in color, you would see that it is a light blue +POS.

Oh, and Paul...I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Durwood Merrill passed away in January of 2003, so I won't be looking him up when I travel through Hooks.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,

Do you know who 1BU was in that game. He was black and I seem to recall that there were no black MLB umpires until that era.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 08:59pm

It was Emmitt Ashford.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 09:57pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

This is the protector to which I was referring. If the photo were in color, you would see that it is a light blue +POS.

Oh, and Paul...I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Durwood Merrill passed away in January of 2003, so I won't be looking him up when I travel through Hooks.
This picture of Durwood is probably around the time he left the game in 1999. Why would he be wearing a protector from the seventies? I forgot Durwood had passed away. It's a shame because those Augie stories were hilarious (ROTFLMAO).

You must have been the inspiration for the title of his book, "You're Out and You're Ugly, Too". I met him at a book signing, at some award banquet, and when his son was a coach in one of the surrounding school districts. If not mistaken, I believe his daughter lives in the area, also. I met her one time and she was with him.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 11:20pm

Quote:
This picture of Durwood is probably around the time he left the game in 1999. Why would he be wearing a protector from the seventies?
Okay Einstein, let me educate you. Durwood Merrill joined the American League in 1977. This was the year in which the American League joined the 20th century and made it mandatory for any umpire joining the AL starting that year to wear the inside chest protector.

Any umpire who worked the AL prior to 1977 was grandfathered in and allowed to continue with the balloon or pad until retirement.

So, in conclusion, Durwood Merrill wore an inside protector from the minute he joined the AL.

I also said that Billy Williams wore a similar protector to the one Durwood Merrill wore. I never said when the photo was taken. They both wore similar chest protectors.

Quote:
I forgot Durwood had passed away. It's a shame because those Augie stories were hilarious (ROTFLMAO).
Yeah, they must have been some rib-ticklers if you are still laughing about them. Liar. Tell me...are your pants really on fire?

You just think it's cute to bad mouth August Donatelli, who was a fine, well-respected umpire, regardless of whatever your fake stories that you never really heard because a man like Durwood Merrill would never give you the time of day much less engage in playful banter on his front porch with you. Why would he pull out stories about a deceased umpire who he hardly even knew just to amuse you? This is how I know you are making it up, you liar.

You are just thinking that I would somehow take any offense to this because I use that screen name on another umpire site. How pathetic.

Quote:
You must have been the inspiration for the title of his book, "You're Out and You're Ugly, Too"
Wow, you are so funny! Yob vas. I am not an ugly person, BTW, so you are way off base. You also must be extremely jealous of me. How sad for you.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 11:29pm.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you're ever out in east Texas around the small town of Hooks, look him up. He'll sit down and talk your ear off.
Wow. You really know Durwood don't you? Glad to see you two have stayed in touch.

UFB
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 07:19am
In Time Out

Rawlings UCP

Billy Williams would have been wearing the black rawlings UCP inside protector most likely. Back then, that's about all that was available (and then along came the white Wilson model that people like Lee Weyer and Doug Harvey wore). The rawlings had white plastic shoulder caps but other than that was just like a regular catcher's chest protector (came all the way down to the waist).
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SNIPPED
I met him at a book signing, at some award banquet, and when his son was a coach in one of the surrounding school districts. If not mistaken, I believe his daughter lives in the area, also. I met her one time and she was with him.
I recall that Durwood had a daughter - she was mentioned in the book. I do not recall him mentioning a son! Nope, he only referred to "Momma" (his wife) and his "baby" in the book. He also mentioned that he used a "raft" in the minors then switching to the inside protector sometime around the time Steve Palermo got shot.

Regards
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 07:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I recall that Durwood had a daughter - she was mentioned in the book. I do not recall him mentioning a son! Nope, he only referred to "Momma" (his wife) and his "baby" in the book.
I read the book. Iirc he talked about a son named Mickey(I think).
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I read the book. Iirc he talked about a son named Mickey(I think).
I just got the book out of storage (yeah, the closet). Yes he did have a son named Mickey. I just remember him talking about all the things in his daughter's life that he missed due to the ridiculous demands of MLB.

I stand corrected
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

my .02

"Orioles left side of infield was unreal BTW, and was probably the difference in the series."

yup, that 'ol BROOKS ROBINSON could flat out play ................. ....

especially since he is in the HOF and argueably the greatest third baseman of all time..............

and in my neck of the woods in milb, every time someone would make an outstanding fielding play they would be greeted with the call of "way to go brooksie!"...........

Last edited by piaa_ump; Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 12:36pm.