The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

I've been umpiring baseball for nearly 9 years now, I'm currently 20. This last year I made the jump from the local club level to American Legion. I enjoy umpiring, in fact that is about the only thing that I really enjoy about spring and summer.
I enjoy it so much I'm interested in advancing my career up to the College and Major League levels.
I have done enough reading around the web and magazines to know that in order to get to the Majors you have to attend a school recognized by the MLB.
I was wondering if someone could help me out with information on these schools. I already have all the Information from the schools themselves, but I'm interested in hearing from people who have attuned the schools, what they have thought and what they would recommend.

Beefkake
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Try URC

There is another message board at the Umpire Resource Center with an entire section developed to Professional Umpiring. In that section, there are numerous posts about the two schools for professional umpires.

http://www.umpire.org

Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 08:16pm
Veteran College Umpire

I went to Wendelstedt's school in 1985 - awhile back, to be sure, but I can pass along a few thoughts.

I was 34 when I went - in reality, too old to get a job in pro ball. But I wanted to move up the ladder, and was told this was a great item on the resume. IT WAS! 5 weeks of 6-days-a-week, 8 AM to 6 PM, 4 classroom hours and 6 on the field - WOW! They taught the rule book inside out, tested us daily on it, then went on the field and set up drills and situations for us to sharpen the knowledge on. Pitching machines allowed us to work on our plate game, and a dozen minor and major league umpires watching and critiquing every move made us better every day.

The one thing I came back with more than anything else was the CONFIDENCE in my ability to umpire. I sent letters to every college within 100 miles of where I lived and was hired by alomost every one after working a few innings of Fall scrimmage. The school got my foot in the door, and my ability kept me there.

I have NEVER regretted attending a school, and would encourage you to attend a shorter version school before you hit the 5-week course - a Gerry Davis clinic would be a great introduction to how Pro schools present information. Plus, you'll get a few tips on what you'll need to learn/know to succeed at a 5-week school.

Good Luck! You'll enjoy every minute of it, and the rewards will be lifelong (I've been all over the world umpiring - something I'd never have been able to do as a player!).

GBA
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 04:48am
Official Forum Member

UMPIRE SCHOOL

Graduated from Harry Wendelstat(sp)in 1993, I was 40 years old at the time. I had started umpiring in '86, mens softball and little league baseball, had lots of clinics for the softball, but nothing for the baseball.

$1500.00 for 5 weeks, 6 days a week, hotel room is included in this, i knew i was to old for the pros, but i got my money back just from the high school games i did the next couple of years, it was worth it.

Now in my humple opinion, if you want to go to the pro's you have to get to Basic Umpire Development School (BUDS), we had almost 100 students in my class, 18 I beleive were picked to go to BUDS, and they were the top 18 scores from the rules test. Knowing the rules better than any one in your class and making the higest grades on the test, and lots of hussle, will guarntee you get selected for BUDS at school graduation.

hope this helps you, feel free to email me...Jim