Thread: Schools
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 08:16pm
Veteran College Umpire

I went to Wendelstedt's school in 1985 - awhile back, to be sure, but I can pass along a few thoughts.

I was 34 when I went - in reality, too old to get a job in pro ball. But I wanted to move up the ladder, and was told this was a great item on the resume. IT WAS! 5 weeks of 6-days-a-week, 8 AM to 6 PM, 4 classroom hours and 6 on the field - WOW! They taught the rule book inside out, tested us daily on it, then went on the field and set up drills and situations for us to sharpen the knowledge on. Pitching machines allowed us to work on our plate game, and a dozen minor and major league umpires watching and critiquing every move made us better every day.

The one thing I came back with more than anything else was the CONFIDENCE in my ability to umpire. I sent letters to every college within 100 miles of where I lived and was hired by alomost every one after working a few innings of Fall scrimmage. The school got my foot in the door, and my ability kept me there.

I have NEVER regretted attending a school, and would encourage you to attend a shorter version school before you hit the 5-week course - a Gerry Davis clinic would be a great introduction to how Pro schools present information. Plus, you'll get a few tips on what you'll need to learn/know to succeed at a 5-week school.

Good Luck! You'll enjoy every minute of it, and the rewards will be lifelong (I've been all over the world umpiring - something I'd never have been able to do as a player!).

GBA