The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Was it too much?

I was scheduled to work a doubleheader on Sunday. It rained so hard that we only got in about 2 innings.

Today I received a check for both games. Is this the standard? I would have expected only payment for the one game.

Rita
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 12:43am

Traditionaly you would only be paid for the game that you started. If they paid you for two you may want to check with whoever it was that paid you. They may have paid you for two games on purpose.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
I was scheduled to work a doubleheader on Sunday. It rained so hard that we only got in about 2 innings.

Today I received a check for both games. Is this the standard? I would have expected only payment for the one game.

Rita
This happened to me a couple of times in the past when I was doing NCAA ball. We would receive the checks upfront at home plate.

I asked my assignor and was told that it was easier to take and cash the checks, then to try and get them redone in the system.

It kind of evened out on those bad weather days that took like 10 hrs to get a double header in. (That included travel time)
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rita
The baseball gods will punish you soon enough. They want the books to balance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rita
Are you sure one of thsoe checks wasn't for Canadaump's rainout?
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Are you sure one of thsoe checks wasn't for Canadaump's rainout?

R.O.T.F.L.

niiiiiiiiiiiiiice
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rita
Yes. It was "too much."

Personally, I would contact whoever issued the check prior to cashing it and inform them that you worked only one game. They will either re-issue a check or tell you to keep the one you have. Let them make the decision.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 11:23am
In Time Out

Quote:

Rita
I wouldn't sweat it. Cash the check, pocket the money and not worry about it. Unless you know for sure how they pay the umpires, I'd assume that is their policy to pay you games you were scheduled, showed up for, but were rained out. Once you started the first game, I suppose they considered you were on the clock for the whole day. Different leagues, different policies. They could have been paying you out of courtesy. The people that write the checks should know both games didn't get played.

I suggest you do what makes you feel the best.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

My .02

I'd make a call to the league and find out what the policy is.......I would attempt to return the one check.....if they dont accept it fine, but its an effort that will ensure good relationships....

This summer I had a game that we were paid in full and in advance of the first pitch......3 innings later we were rained out.....In this league we get $20for showing up and 3 an inning if not a complete game. My partner and I went to the official and gave back our $45 dollar fee to be exchanged for the $29 we were owed......

I dont umpire for free, but I dont take what I'm not due either.......
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Thank you

I wanted to know the "industry standard" before contacting him. I had reported to him that day that I only did one game.

The check may have been made out in advance as he contacted me from Florida.

I have a double header scheduled for this coming Sunday. We can probably square it with the check from that game.

Rita
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Rita
Rita for the most part our association does not have this problem because we are paid UP FRONT at the plate meeting. We had too many problems with the old adage "checks in the mail" so with the exception of some tournaments we do we get our money up front before one pitch is thrown. That way we do not have to "chase" the teams for money etc. especially if you make a controversial call or a call they do not like.

If we have a Double Dip we get paid the one game FEE first. If the game is cancelled due to whether we do not get paid for the second game, however, if the game gets cancelled because the team does not have enough players for the second game then we get paid a full game FEE.

"Mother Nature" is one thing a team not being able to field players is another.

I would contact my assignor FIRST if I got paid for a game I didn't do.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 11:00am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Yes. It was "too much."

Personally, I would contact whoever issued the check prior to cashing it and inform them that you worked only one game. They will either re-issue a check or tell you to keep the one you have. Let them make the decision.
How the Sam Heck do you know that "it's too much"? Itks not for us in the same sitch, we get pd by assignment not innings or good weathwer. Mebbe Rita belongs to a real ump org that demands as much from its membersas it gets for their umpires.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
if you feel bad about keeping it, you can send the extra to me.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 02:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Rita
You are paid for the commitment, not the game itself. You have no control over the weather or other factors that might not complete the games. This is the way it should be done and the way it is done in many circles. This would be no different if you show up to the game and ejections take place because of some action by a team. You are not responsible for the result.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 13, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piaa_ump
I'd make a call to the league and find out what the policy is.......I would attempt to return the one check.....if they dont accept it fine, but its an effort that will ensure good relationships....

This summer I had a game that we were paid in full and in advance of the first pitch......3 innings later we were rained out.....In this league we get $20for showing up and 3 an inning if not a complete game. My partner and I went to the official and gave back our $45 dollar fee to be exchanged for the $29 we were owed......

I dont umpire for free, but I dont take what I'm not due either.......
A contract is a contract. That being said this is a bad one. In my neck of the woods once one pitch is thrown and the heavens open up we get paid for the full game. Pitch not thrown and we are there we get a traveling fee typically $20 or $25. Your association needs to make some changes.