The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 1.76 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Unejected a Coach

I had this situation happen to me back in August when I was doing an allstar tournament game. Tag play at second base to end the inning, the runner was clearly out. Third base coach yells from across the diamond "you're killing us blue!". I say back "coach don't go there". He responds with "don't go there? I'm going to go there, with both of you blues, all game". At that point I should have dumped him but didn't. I was in right field kicking myself for not taking action, when he says from the dugout "56 for 29 blue".

Now this was a bit of an emotional reaction on my part, because I hadn't heard the first part of what was said, so I said "coach you're gone". He says "What do you mean? I said 56 for 29 blue".

At this point I realize my mistake, and go to the dugout and tell him he's still in the game. I think there is a good moral to this story that is important for us to consider. Everyone makes mistakes. It takes a man to admit to his mistakes and fix them. Obviously whether someone should be ejected or not is a judgement call, and a judgement call can be reversed. 9.02 c: If a decision is appealed, the umpire making the decision may ask another umpire for information before making a final decision.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

thats a mistake that could have been avoided pretty easily.
if i ever did this, i probably wouldnt post about it on the internet...but then again i'm not a fake poster
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

I figured it out. He's Lance's b@st@rd child.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 01:38am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
I had this situation happen to me back in August when I was doing an allstar tournament game. Tag play at second base to end the inning, the runner was clearly out. Third base coach yells from across the diamond "you're killing us blue!". I say back "coach don't go there". He responds with "don't go there? I'm going to go there, with both of you blues, all game". At that point I should have dumped him but didn't. I was in right field kicking myself for not taking action, when he says from the dugout "56 for 29 blue".
Getting into verbal warfare with a Coach across the diamond is a losing proposition to begin with. He is playing to the public ear. you're looking like a doofus who is giving up his authority. If you yelled at a teacher or any other authoraty figure from 50 meters, would they yell back or come and see you personally? Why do you see yourself as any less of an authority figure?

Quote:
Now this was a bit of an emotional reaction on my part, because I hadn't heard the first part of what was said, so I said "coach you're gone". He says "What do you mean? I said 56 for 29 blue".

At this point I realize my mistake, and go to the dugout and tell him he's still in the game. I think there is a good moral to this story that is important for us to consider. Everyone makes mistakes. It takes a man to admit to his mistakes and fix them. Obviously whether someone should be ejected or not is a judgement call, and a judgement call can be reversed. 9.02 c: If a decision is appealed, the umpire making the decision may ask another umpire for information before making a final decision.
The moral is keep your head on your shoulders, your emotions in your pocket an have a clear and concise approach to Coaches who abuse you and the game.

http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...2&postcount=22
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

"Obviously whether someone should be ejected or not is a judgement call, and a judgement call can be reversed. 9.02 c: [I]If a decision is appealed, the umpire making the decision may ask another umpire for information before making a final decision."

You are incorrect if you are indicating a judgement call can be appealed.
9.02(a)Any umpires decision which includes judgment ******** is final

You are misinterpeting 9.02(b)
If there is a reasonable doubt that any umpires decision is in conflict with the rulesthe manager may appeal the decision and ask that a correct ruling be made. Such an appeal shall be made only to the umpire who made the protested decision.
9.02c)
If a decision is appealed, the umpire making the decision may ask another umpire for imformation before making a final decision.

You have to use things in the correct order. You can not disregard 9.02(a) so you can interpet 9.02(c) to fit your needs

Last edited by btdt; Wed Sep 26, 2007 at 08:23am.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

I know you're going to say I'm just piling on ... but surely this kind of fictional hair-trigger response and the fictional cross-field shouting you participated in is an example of the reasons your fictional supervisor isn't promoting you to work fictional higher-level games.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

For those who really have a clue:

You never eject someone unless you are sure that this is either the proper penalty or the last straw because once you eject, you never, ever bring them back --- for any reason!

And that is not open to interpretation - that is the way we operate!

This is why some people umpire and others wish that they could!
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

In a fall league last week, I had both teams begging me to "uneject" a player!

One team was playing short-handed, with only eight players (FED rules). We were only in the third inning. A player for the short-handed team went down on a called third strike.

He took a few steps from the plate, let loose with a string of profanities, then brought his bat up overhead and heaved it about 30 feet in the general direction of his own dugout.

I didn't even hesitate on that one- "Number 11, you're ejected!".

Since they dropped down to seven players, the game became an automatic forfeit. His coaches pleaded for me to change my mind. The other team's coaches asked if I would reconsider. They wanted to play!

I held my ground, telling them, "If you still want to play, be my guest. You can play another ten innings if you want. But you won't be doing it with these two umpires present".

And with that one, well deserved "heave-ho", I now have the reputation as the hard-a$$ umpire that doesn't "care about the kids"!

Last edited by BretMan; Wed Sep 26, 2007 at 11:10am.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 12:59pm
Is this a legal title?

That's a good reputation to have.

If anyone asks, just tell them you care enough about the kids to let them know actions have consequences.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

I never said anyone is piling on, and like fitump56 said it is a bad idea to be yelling across the field. The only problem is that to avoid this, I've got to follow the coach for 50 metres to get to him, and this just doesn't look good. Maybe I should just toss him after he starts yelling across the diamond? What do you guys think? This whole yelling across the diamond thing is starting to piss me off, maybe it's time to just eject immediatly.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
For those who really have a clue:

You never eject someone unless you are sure that this is either the proper penalty or the last straw because once you eject, you never, ever bring them back --- for any reason!

And that is not open to interpretation - that is the way we operate!

This is why some people umpire and others wish that they could!
Ozzy, I do not disagree whatsoever, but what about this situation : In a Fed
game, young umpire objected to a coach telling him "You blew that call" twice, face-to-face, not across the field. Said rookie dumps coach. He was the only representative of the school at the facility. His partner, a veteran,
convinced the rookie to change the ejection to a dugout restriction. That way, the game did not have to be forfeited, as per state rule. From all reports, that compromise made all parties happy.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 06:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
I never said anyone is piling on, and like fitump56 said it is a bad idea to be yelling across the field. The only problem is that to avoid this, I've got to follow the coach for 50 metres to get to him, and this just doesn't look good. Maybe I should just toss him after he starts yelling across the diamond? What do you guys think? This whole yelling across the diamond thing is starting to piss me off, maybe it's time to just eject immediatly.
If a coach is yelling from across the diamond you have two choices:

1. If what he is yelling at you is something you would eject him for saying to you when he is close by, then you give him the old heave-ho (that means eject him in case you didn't know) from right where you stand.

2. If he is just jabbering, or in your case, changing the lineup, then you do the following: IGNORE HIM. If you don't know exactly what he's yelling: IGNORE HIM.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
If a coach is yelling from across the diamond you have two choices:
  1. 1. If what he is yelling at you is something you would eject him for saying to you when he is close by, then you give him the old heave-ho (that means eject him in case you didn't know) from right where you stand.

2. If he is just jabbering, or in your case, changing the lineup, then you do the following: IGNORE HIM. If you don't know exactly what he's yelling: IGNORE HIM.
Hey all,

I agree, an umpire has to KNOW what was said to cause an ejection. How else can you do an ejection report with all the facts?

LomUmp
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

How on earth did this thread get a three star rating?
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 09:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Who knows? Perhaps the guy who lets rats yell at him across the field rated it himself.