The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 09:56pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Question Underutilized Technologies Or Overblown Egos?

No, not another thread on IR (which should be instituted as per my previous posts) but on the use of the Internet, web pages and hahdheld or docked devices.

Another officials service has been offering online testing for sports officials (I won't mention out of deference to this site) so the technology is there. This means that distance from the testing site(s) or timing to get a test done is not a reason.

MLB umps booted a BOO call and a simple handheld device like a Palm Treo or other PDA (with rules only on it) or docked device (umpire's access only) could have been used to search the rule and apply it correctly. Instead, we got crap.

The common horn I hear blown is how this could embarass umpires, we all heard the whining and Cheetos with Questec and the rest. Looks like everyone survived just fine to me and the strike zones are more consistent than ever.

Point: it's not technology, the cost or the implmentation that is holding the advancement of better officiating, it umpires, ump orgs and perhaps the governing bodies (like MLB) themselves.

So much for getting the call right.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

How would having easy access to rules embarrass the umpires? I find that umpires look silly when they boot an obvious judgment call or misapply a rule (like the BOO mistake), so I would think umpires would welcome technology as it would only enhance their credibility on the field.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Though I don't ump baseball (only softball here), I'll throw in my two cents.

The rule book itself is very hand-held. I don't know the particular BOO situation you're talking about, but my guess is that the umpires were sure enough (albeit incorrectly) of their ruling, and felt no need to go to a rule book. So, even if they had some sort of PDA device, they wouldn't have used it, because they thought they had it right. Otherwise, you would have to suggest that before they make every ruling, they need to check the rule book, even if they're sure of it.

Once again, I don't know the particular example you're talking about, but if what you're saying is right (and I don't doubt that it is), then they just got it wrong. It happens.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 01:20am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
Though I don't ump baseball (only softball here), I'll throw in my two cents.

The rule book itself is very hand-held. I don't know the particular BOO situation you're talking about, but my guess is that the umpires were sure enough (albeit incorrectly) of their ruling, and felt no need to go to a rule book. So, even if they had some sort of PDA device, they wouldn't have used it, because they thought they had it right. Otherwise, you would have to suggest that before they make every ruling, they need to check the rule book, even if they're sure of it.
Can't disagree, when was the last time any ump went to the rule book on the field?

The assumption I was making is that if there is a quick search device, then MLB would have approved it and it would be used. That would mean MLB would actually give a crap about getting rules right.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 01:21am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan
How would having easy access to rules embarrass the umpires? I find that umpires look silly when they boot an obvious judgment call or misapply a rule (like the BOO mistake), so I would think umpires would welcome technology as it would only enhance their credibility on the field.
We're on the same page here, Bro!
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
I find that fans are silly when they think they know the rules and actually shout them out. Or when they think they see the play better from over a hundred feet away, with a crappy angle and through a chain link fence, whilst looking out of the corner of their eye because they're BS'n with the guy next to them when the play occurs. Another excellent topic brought to us by (oh okay Bob) fitump56.

Last edited by NFump; Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 05:04pm.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 09:45pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFump
I find that fans are silly when they think they know the rules and actually shout them out. Or when they think they see the play better from over a hundred feet away, with a crappy angle and through a chain link fence, whilst looking out of the corner of their eye because they're BS'n with the guy next to them when the play occurs. Another excellent topic brought to us by (oh okay Bob) fitump56.
Your post, I haven't a clue what is has to do with any part of this thread. What did we miss?
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Evidently you didn't even read the post you quoted. If it's to hard for you to figure out, jus axe me, I'll 'splain it.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 12:52am
In Time Out

Quote:
Evidently you didn't even read the post you quoted. If it's to hard for you to figure out, jus axe me, I'll 'splain it.
Splain it.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan
I wrote: "I find that fans are silly when they think they know the rules and actually shout them out. Or when they think they see the play better from over a hundred feet away, with a crappy angle and through a chain link fence, whilst looking out of the corner of their eye because they're BS'n with the guy next to them when the play occurs."

As you can see my post was in reply to the admitted fan and coach who doesn't know much about the rules or mechanics of umpiring. Simply pointing out how silly we find them to be when they do those things.

As for "technology" enhancing an umpire's credibility my personal opinion is that it would undermine it. Coaches and fans (not knowing the rules themselves) would want the umpires to go to the "book" every time something happens that they don't understand and/or don't agree with the way the umpire ruled. Bottom line, you don't need any fancy device to help you with the rules. Stick with the rulebook, it will fit in your back pocket if you find it necessary to keep it with you at all times, otherwise, keep it in your car. Have a problem, go get it, look it up, come back and tell'em you were right and play on.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 11:17pm
In Time Out

Quote:
As for "technology" enhancing an umpire's credibility my personal opinion is that it would undermine it. Coaches and fans (not knowing the rules themselves) would want the umpires to go to the "book" every time something happens that they don't understand and/or don't agree with the way the umpire ruled.
There is clear precedence set by college and pro football, for instance, that limits and penalizes potetnial abuse.

Quote:
Bottom line, you don't need any fancy device to help you with the rules. Stick with the rulebook, it will fit in your back pocket if you find it necessary to keep it with you at all times, otherwise, keep it in your car.
Please NFump, no one does or will do this. What good is it in your car? By having a quick lookup device, and the above limitations, you get calls right. See BOO by major leaguers recently.

Quote:
Have a problem, go get it, look it up, come back and tell'em you were right and play on.
Waking from your dream.......
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
There is clear precedence set by college and pro football, for instance, that limits and penalizes potetnial abuse.

Please NFump, no one does or will do this. What good is it in your car? By having a quick lookup device, and the above limitations, you get calls right. See BOO by major leaguers recently.

Waking from your dream.......
That's for instant replay, not rules.

Then put it in your pocket or ball bag. Ya don't need no "quick lookup device". If you can carry a "QLD" then you can carry a rulebook.

HAHAHAHAHA!
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have my opion of the matter. But this is one you can experiment with yourself. Stick your rulebook in your back pocket next time you take the field. When you have a question, stop and look it up. Note what happens. Repeat over the course of a season. Report back on how it went.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I have my opion of the matter. But this is one you can experiment with yourself. Stick your rulebook in your back pocket next time you take the field. When you have a question, stop and look it up. Note what happens. Repeat over the course of a season. Report back on how it went.
Priceless... simply priceless....
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Need a Rulebook?

Get off the field!
Closed Thread