The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

LLWS - I see London... I see France

in high definition...

did I see the plate umpire's underpants?

As in Japan - Canada - his crotch was torn open?

Bonus Post!

just saw the plate guy. (Oh v Or) with a runner at third come up the line on the bunt.. r3 advanced.. plate umpire (as is any adult on the little diamond, a BIG PRESENSE).. stick out his mask to point fair.. and I think he forgot about the runner at 3rd. A quick pickup and play at the plate would have HIT that mask, how fun!
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 04:46pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran
in high definition...

Bonus Post!

just saw the plate guy. (Oh v Or) with a runner at third come up the line on the bunt.. r3 advanced.. plate umpire (as is any adult on the little diamond, a BIG PRESENSE).. stick out his mask to point fair.. and I think he forgot about the runner at 3rd. A quick pickup and play at the plate would have HIT that mask, how fun!
If this is the same play I saw, the catcher was up the first base line so there was nobody to throw it to. I however, have noticed some bad mechanics myself. I have seen U1 and U3 come inside on base hits to their side of the field like they were the cutoff man on the play. Twice close to getting hit with the throw with R2 running home on both occasions. Saw one declare an illegal pitch with no runners on F1 as he slipped and stopped his delivery to home. He added a ball to the count.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
If this is the same play I saw, the catcher was up the first base line so there was nobody to throw it to. I however, have noticed some bad mechanics myself. I have seen U1 and U3 come inside on base hits to their side of the field like they were the cutoff man on the play. Twice close to getting hit with the throw with R2 running home on both occasions. Saw one declare an illegal pitch with no runners on F1 as he slipped and stopped his delivery to home. He added a ball to the count.
In LL that is an illegal pitch - even with no runners on base and the penalty is just a ball on the batter. I believe there is no balk in LL. That doesn't start till the Junior League age.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
In LL that is an illegal pitch - even with no runners on base and the penalty is just a ball on the batter. I believe there is no balk in LL. That doesn't start till the Junior League age.
No - with no runners it's nothing. The call was corrected. LL misplaced the parentheses in the first writing which gave the impression you have. It was correctd via interpretation in "Fairball" and then corrected at the next printing of the rule book.

8.05 offenses are the same in both LL and the higher levels. The penalties are different. Most folks don't really understands why LL chose to alter the nomenclature instead of just keeping "balk" and listing different penalties.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
I have seen U1 and U3 come inside on base hits to their side of the field like they were the cutoff man on the play. Twice close to getting hit with the throw with R2 running home on both occasions.
I made the comment early last week when U2 dodged a ball hit to F9 and thrown to F5. Someone pointed out U3 knocking down runner past 3B. Had there been a play on that runner, he would have been caught off base for the out.

Also noticed yesterday that U2 and U3 were positioned deeper into the outfield than local LL clinicians teach. Far deeper than 2-man LL small diamond positions. Requires a full sprint into the playing area on a small diamond. Just a matter of time until one is hit by the ball (unlikely) or slips on wet turf (more likely).
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
No - with no runners it's nothing. The call was corrected. LL misplaced the parentheses in the first writing which gave the impression you have. It was correctd via interpretation in "Fairball" and then corrected at the next printing of the rule book.

8.05 offenses are the same in both LL and the higher levels. The penalties are different. Most folks don't really understands why LL chose to alter the nomenclature instead of just keeping "balk" and listing different penalties.
Rich, I work a lot of LL games. I have to disagree with what you are saying. Where in "Fairball" is this interp?

With that being said, this is an illegal action by the pitcher. This classifies as an Illegal Pitch, ball on batter. What you are suggesting is that runners have to be on for an illegal pitch to be possible. Since when is that a requirement? What I have is the offenses in 8.05 are an Illegal Pitch in baseball (ball on batter), but if runners are on, and it's Jr/Sr/Big League, then I have a balk)

Last edited by blueump01; Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 11:43pm.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran
in high definition...

Did the ungrateful parents freak out about it like they did to me?
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

The 2004 version of the Rules Instruction Manual says in reference to 8.05 (Majors and Minors, but not Junior and up)
"With no runner on base you only call an illegal pitch if (e) and/or (g) are committed. Otherwise, call nothing with no runners on base at any level of play."

(e) refers to a quick pitch.
(g) refers to making a motion to pitch while not touching the rubber.

Obviously these are infractions which tend to deceive the batter.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 03:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump01
Rich, I work a lot of LL games. I have to disagree with what you are saying.
Rich is probably the only person I wouldn't argue Little League with.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 03:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Did the ungrateful parents freak out about it like they did to me?
Quite a difference between accidentally ripping the crotch of your plate pants, and stripping down to your skivvies at the backstop in front of young girls. JMO.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 07:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quite a difference between accidentally ripping the crotch of your plate pants, and stripping down to your skivvies at the backstop in front of young girls. JMO.
Ha! Memories from a while back:
LL Districts: Ripped out crotch behind the plate and finished the game from a knee. Between games I whipped out the needle and thread for a quick repair job to work U3. Good for 9 outs.
I worked the next six outs very carefully and an LL mom came to the fence with a coupla safety pins.
For some reason, I was wearing tourquoise that day.

Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rich, I work a lot of LL games. I have to disagree with what you are saying. Where in "Fairball" is this interp?

With that being said, this is an illegal action by the pitcher. This classifies as an Illegal Pitch, ball on batter. What you are suggesting is that runners have to be on for an illegal pitch to be possible. Since when is that a requirement? What I have is the offenses in 8.05 are an Illegal Pitch in baseball (ball on batter), but if runners are on, and it's Jr/Sr/Big League, then I have a balk)

It is in the March 03 issue of "Fairball" Page 3, bottom of the second column.

The rule used to read:

An illegal pitch (A balk in Junior/Senior/Big League baseball when a runner or runners are on base) is when -

It was corrected to read:

An illegal pitch (A balk in Junior/Senior/Big League baseball) when a runner or runners are on base is when -

The "old" way had the "runners on base" as part of the Jr/Sr/Big parenthetical phrase. The new way placed it in the body of the rule.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, thank you.

Anyhow, any idea why 8.01d hasn't been corrected?

"If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch wiith the bases unoccupoed, it shall be called a ball unless the batter reaches first base..."
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rich, thank you.

"If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch wiith the bases unoccupoed, it shall be called a ball unless the batter reaches first base..."
I can't speak for LL on this, but in OBR, "Illegal Pitch" is referring specifically to the defined term -- a quick pitch or a pitch while not in contact with the rubber. Other actions that might be illegal and might be pitches are not "Illegal Pitches" for this rule.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rich, thank you.

Because it's referring to the real illegal pitches - not in contact and quick.

That's one of the reasons I said:

Most folks don't really understands why LL chose to alter the nomenclature instead of just keeping "balk" and listing different penalties.

The nomenclature change just confuses everything.