LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Query

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Mills
Ump20:

I had contributed some (I thought) serious, well-thought-out posts in the thread to which I alluded.
When HHH's posts were deleted, so were mine and many others'.

It is that environment which made me conclude that posting here is generally not worth my time. It also contributes to Pete Booth's recent post about the lack of traffic here, relative to other boards.

If the proprietors want a board that talks only to serious baseball issues, fine. If they want to censor that which does not meet their goals, fine, too.

With those criteria, one will find a small, insular circle within which he can associate with only like-minded people. As I said before, what a bore.

As to the editor's post, I do, in fact, park my "whinny (sic) little butt" at McGriff's quite often. I also buy things from the folks who advertise there, which does not happen here.

The proprietors think censorship enhances this board. I respectfully disagree. With apologies to Bfair:

Just my opinion
I understand that people get ticked off if their post is removed. Based upon your description it seems that the person who originates a thread can delete his post and thereby the entire thread whenever he wants to; so can the proprietors of this site. So if an intelligent question is posed and after ten responses it now gets personal and the next ten are just back and forth over who is or is not a snuffler or the like, we lose the first ten posts when the thread is removed. Why can't the censors (this is private so they have the right to this editorial privilege) simply delete the offending post, leave the poster's name and put a legend "Deleted for failure to maintain professional decorum" or "Post removed-completely off topic"?