The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't intent on the pitcher's part be a judgement call? If I think a pitcher threw at somebody on purpose, he's gone. I think the events preceding the event have a lot to do with how I would handle the situation. With that said, a batter that carries a bat to the mound has pretty much taken all doubt out of my mind as to what he is about to do. If he hits a guy in the parking lot with a bat, he is probably going to be arrested. This guy needs to be ran from the game for life. When a batter steps in the box, he takes a chance on getting hit with a pitch. A pitcher shouldn't have to wonder if he is going to be attacked with a baseball bat.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
This guy needs to be ran from the game for life.
I have lost track. How many games were missed by the guy in Durham who threw a bat at the umpire? Was it like 80? Don't think he will be removed for life. It's happened in the BIGS before also and as far as I can remember no one has been removed for life for this.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Proper Diagnosis of Symptoms?

Quote:
Nathans, who said he had been hit by Offerman's bat in the back of the head, was taken to the hospital after he began throwing up and complained of nausea. He was treated and released.
Why did Nathans immediately return to his position after possibly sustaining a concussion; amnesia? I would think that if Nathans was hit on the back of the head, the symptoms would have been a bump on the head and a call for an ice pack. He was treated and released the very same night after throwing up and complaining of nausea. X-rays must have not turned up any swelling or he would have been hospitalized for observation.

Anyone else see the blow to the back of his head? Perhaps, in the excitement, Nathans swallowed his dip of snuff or his chew of tobacco. Perhaps the over-exertion during the melee brought about heat related symptons of nausea and vomiting. Is there a Dr. in the house to explain Nathan's nervous reaction after being hit on the head?

Last edited by SAump; Mon Aug 27, 2007 at 10:34pm.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
I happen to live in Bridgeport and am webmaster for the Bluefish (the defensive team in thisincident). I wasn't at the game, but have talked to quite a few who were there.

Offerman (an ex-Bluefish, BTW) lollgagged it trotting around the bases on his first-inning dinger. Catcher John Nathans said something to him on his next at bat. Then, Matt Beech hit him with in the calf on an 0-1 curve.

Here's the link to Offie's "denial." Then click on the photo to see a well-done slide show. No video crew was at the game.

Hmmm two ballplayers faking a broken finger and a concussion? Do I smell a rodent?

http://www.connpost.com//ci_6631730?...w.connpost.com

Ace, cub reporter
Offerman lied in that article -- he most certainly did take a swing at Beech. The slideshow clearly shows that.

But curiously enough, the blow appeared to land mostly on Beech's pitching hand. At no point does it appear to hit Nathans on the back of the head.

Still, a broken finger is hard to fake, with x-rays and all. It might've happened during the ensuing melee.

Either way, stupid move on Offerman's part.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Mike Wilbon (pti) says thatt JO was entilted to swing his bat at Pitch becusee Baseball wont do away w the beanball. so there. I saw it on Pti the other day.
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Is there a Dr. in the house to explain Nathan's nervous reaction after being hit on the head?
Would you take a DR. in an educational sense rather than a medical licensing one? Nausea is common to concussions.
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 12:10am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Would you take a DR. in an educational sense rather than a medical licensing one? Nausea is common to concussions.
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9025107/concussion
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
Mike Wilbon (pti) says thatt JO was entilted to swing his bat at Pitch becusee Baseball wont do away w the beanball. so there. I saw it on Pti the other day.
Now, tell me who got beaned. No one.

I saw Nathans the day after he got hit. He was still shaky.

This guy is a hard-nosed ballplayer.

I cannot believe that people on this board can support Offerman's actions.

Ace
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Why did Nathans immediately return to his position after possibly sustaining a concussion; amnesia? I would think that if Nathans was hit on the back of the head, the symptoms would have been a bump on the head and a call for an ice pack. He was treated and released the very same night after throwing up and complaining of nausea. X-rays must have not turned up any swelling or he would have been hospitalized for observation.

Anyone else see the blow to the back of his head? Perhaps, in the excitement, Nathans swallowed his dip of snuff or his chew of tobacco. Perhaps the over-exersion during the melee brought about heat related symptons of nausia and vomiting. Is there a Dr. in the house to explain Nathan's nervous reaction after being hit on the head?
Shame on you for suggesting this. And it's "exertion" and "nausea."

Ace
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
I cannot believe that people on this board can support Offerman's actions.
i dont. it was Wilbon who did--i just report that fact. i couldnt bel he defended it either!

he kept sayin that aslong as Pitchers can buzz batters wo being arrested then batters can attack them w thier bats legally! i think the guy is nutzo myself.
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 12:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I have lost track. How many games were missed by the guy in Durham who threw a bat at the umpire? Was it like 80? Don't think he will be removed for life. It's happened in the BIGS before also and as far as I can remember no one has been removed for life for this.
The guy in Durham was Delmon Young (Dimitri's brother), who is now in the major leagues. Certainly not banned for life, I'd have to say.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
The guy in Durham was Delmon Young (Dimitri's brother), who is now in the major leagues. Certainly not banned for life, I'd have to say.
But on the bright side it cost Delmon close to 1/2 a year in MLB and I suspect he is on a very short leash so far as the umpires are concerned. 1/2 a year at the MLB rookie minimum is something like $380k, so he lost $200K plus his AA pay.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Offerman hit F2 on the BACKSWING after hitting F1. His recoil got the catcher in the head.

Don't assume until you got the all the facts, gentleman.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Offerman hit F2 on the BACKSWING after hitting F1.
So, would that be "soft" interference?
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Don't assume until you got the all the facts, gentleman.

get all the facts, then assume??