The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Umpire mechanics question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/36580-umpire-mechanics-question.html)

voiceoflg Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:34pm

Umpire mechanics question

3 man crew, FED playoffs, R2, 1 out. Fly ball to CF and caught. R2 tags up and takes third after the catch. Where are the umpires before the pitch, where do they go during the play and who is watching what?

Thanks in advance.

fitump56 Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg
3 man crew, FED playoffs, R2, 1 out. Fly ball to CF and caught. R2 tags up and takes third after the catch. Where are the umpires before the pitch, where do they go during the play and who is watching what?

Thanks in advance.

:D So few 3 Man games in FED, no telling :D

RPatrino Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:49pm

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

We have U1, U3 and PU, for the purposes of this play. Pre pitch alignment with a R2 is, U1 is in B and U3 is in D. The catch/no catch is divided with U3 taking the LF moving in, back or toward the LF line, U1 taking the "V" and PU taking the RF moving toward the RF line (this is roughly a 20/70/10 split of the field). The fly to CF is U1's call, he has responsbilility for the tagup as well so he must line up the catch and tag within the working area. U3 has R2 into 3rd.

PU in this case pretty much observes the action.

fitump56 Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino
We have U1, U3 and PU, for the purposes of this play. Pre pitch alignment with a R2 is, U1 is in B and U3 is in D. The catch/no catch is divided with U3 taking the LF moving in, back or toward the LF line, U1 taking the "V" and PU taking the RF moving toward the RF line (this is roughly a 20/70/10 split of the field). The fly to CF is U1's call, he has responsbilility for the tagup as well so he must line up the catch and tag within the working area. U3 has R2 into 3rd.

PU in this case pretty much observes the action.

Thanks, Pattie, this is why 3 Man is a st00pid option for FED; it's more about looking keen and adding another ump to the payroll than getting calls right.

RPatrino Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:59pm

I'll tell you what is REALLY idiotic is 4 man on the 60' field. We used 2 man in the playoff for the preliminary rounds and 3 man for quarter and semi's and 4 man for final games.

I believe it was in 2005 that the NCAA changed their mechanics to allow the inside umpire to go out on trouble balls. That one change alone made 3 man worth it, because the only advantage 3 man has over 2 man is the ability to have an umpire go out on every trouble ball.

GarthB Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:19am

Quote:

... because the only advantage 3 man has over 2 man is the ability to have an umpire go out on every trouble ball.

Your appreciation and understanding of three man appears, by this statement, to be limited.

RPatrino Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:26am

I will amend my statement to...'one' of the advantages of 3 man vs. 2 man is the ability to have an umpire go out on trouble balls.

fitump56 Sun Jul 15, 2007 01:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
Your appreciation and understanding of three man appears, by this statement, to be limited.

So you call 3 Man all the time? 3 Man is an academic study for the rest of us, I bow to your consistent use of 3 Man. Please enlighten.

aceholleran Sun Jul 15, 2007 01:38am

In my golden years, I am doing pretty much all LL 60-foot games.

[Waiting for sniggering]

We do 3-man for all local final games and state games. It works just fine.

In addition to letting a BU go out for trouble catches (there are plenty), you also have coverage on the frequent play where R2 will try to advance after throw to F3 on an infield grounder. U1 can take the rock and U3 is ready for play at 3B, whilst PU can stay home, waiting for the inevitable error.

On the real diamond, 3-man has definite advantages in double-steal situations, iffy bunts where defense may try to put out an exisiting runner, base touches, delayed obsructions, tag-ups, pickles, hmmmm.

I could go on. So far, in Garth's corner.

Ace

bob jenkins Sun Jul 15, 2007 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitump56
Thanks, Pattie, this is why 3 Man is a st00pid option for FED; it's more about looking keen and adding another ump to the payroll than getting calls right.

Please explain why you think this is "stupid." It's the same mechanic for CCA and OBR (with perhaps some variants on whether the umpire in the middle has the "big V" or the "little V").

etn_ump Sun Jul 15, 2007 06:52pm

Quote:

That is, quite possibly, the stupidest post I've ever read on this board.

ChucktownBlue Sun Jul 15, 2007 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by etn_ump

Sounds like a challenge. And undoubtedly, someone will take it on.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jul 15, 2007 07:31pm

Quote:

If you want to read stupid, go the the Basketball Forum and read anything that Old School writes.

MTD, Sr.

Tim C Sun Jul 15, 2007 09:47pm

Hmmm,

That is why I always say:

"This ties for the dumbest post ever made on the internet."

Currently Donavan has six of those.

Regards,

DG Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:36pm

Quote:

3 man is 50% better coverage than 2 man, and significantly easier than 2 man.

UmpLarryJohnson Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:58pm

Quote:

So you call 3 Man all the time? 3 Man is an academic study for the rest of us, I bow to your consistent use of 3 Man. Please enlighten.

wow FITUMP ....FED does 3man all the time in PLAYOFF season.

fitump56 Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:18pm

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by fitump56

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Quote:

Newbie, huh? :D :D

Let's look at this 3 Man idea for a second. Bear with me, don't change the channel, you might learn something. Open a closed mind...if possible.:p

Fed wants 3 Man in playoffs. Sounds good, one more guy out there, better officiating..........

Bzzzzt. Wrong. 3 man mechanics are quite different from 2 man. I se this scramble to learn 3 man every youear. Even the "old hats" can't get the mechanics down as they fire drill and practice, usually with no game on, and try to "perfect" 3 man. Coaches, I can't count the number who have called me complaining about terrible 3 man mechs, hell, you know, you're right, Coach.

3 man is a joke when the quality of play is at its highest. Why does FED promote it?

1) The "old hats" usually get the FED playoffs, they are older, 3 Man means less running around.
2) It looks neato kewl
3) It supports the idea that the playoffs are special ("Look Billy, three whole umpires!!!)
4) MLB has extra umps, why not us? I won't begin to pick apart the failures of MLB extra4 crews, they are legion.
5) FED is run by a bunch of senseless morons (see the rule changes including the now infamous "out without protest" missed bag idiocy) who wannabe NCAA so bad they can't think straight.

Nope, sorry ET(n) ump, call home to someone who can open your eyes since I consider your response, quite possibly, the stupidest one I have ever read on this board.

See how that works? ;) :eek:

fitump56 Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG
3 man is 50% better coverage than 2 man, and significantly easier than 2 man.

IF done properly, rarely it is. Easier, sure is, which as I have posted is one of the main reasons they have 3 man, older umps need the "easier" but who are we supposedly serving here, the umps or the sport?

Why not 4 man or 6 man then? Is a few bucks here and there in a sport that rakes in hundreds of thousands of consequence? Not in the least.

3 man, I stiffly contend, is a joke that serves umpires not the game.

fitump56 Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:24pm

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by fitump56
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
wow FITUMP ....FED does 3man all the time in PLAYOFF season.

Which part of my post above blew right over your head, Larry? What percentage of HS games are playoff games?

fitump56 Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Please explain why you think this is "stupid." It's the same mechanic for CCA and OBR (with perhaps some variants on whether the umpire in the middle has the "big V" or the "little V").

See other posts, asked and answered Bob. I don't call CCA, how many FED umps do? OBR mechanics, are you talking PBUC? FED mechanics to PBUC? Two man OBRs?

What is stupid is to put umps in a set of mechanics they rarely use.

fitump56 Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:30pm

Quote:

I'll tell you what is REALLY idiotic is 4 man on the 60' field. We used 2 man in the playoff for the preliminary rounds and 3 man for quarter and semi's and 4 man for final games.

4 man on 60', no kidding, who died running into each other? :D

Quote:

I believe it was in 2005 that the NCAA changed their mechanics to allow the inside umpire to go out on trouble balls. That one change alone made 3 man worth it, because the only advantage 3 man has over 2 man is the ability to have an umpire go out on every trouble ball.
You know, I see a few more but I agree that may well be the best advantage of 3 vs 2 and that assumes that everyone gets their 3 man mechanics tight on those troubled balls.

fitump56 Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:36pm

Quote:

Maybe that has something to do with limited use of it? I dunno, some, no, most of us don't have the time to spend massive amount of daily hours reading the nuances of X man mechanics, of course, and as always, YDayMV and certainly does.

fitump56 Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceholleran
In my golden years, I am doing pretty much all LL 60-foot games.

[Waiting for sniggering]

Ace

Won't get any here. I have as many of these under my belt as 90' (I think ;) )

JugglingReferee Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Absolutely freaking amazing. Eleven (11) freaking posts in a freaking row in one freaking thread.

Are you answering all those voices that the rest of us can't hear?

You are a hoot, Sybil.

I don't get it... are fitump56 and BigUmp56 the same guy?

PS: MTD: I was thinking the same thing before I read your post. Not fair - you beat me to it.

JugglingReferee Mon Jul 16, 2007 01:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Nope. Fitump56 is either the former owner of Officials Unlimited or his stoolie Donovan Hammond. He rears his ugly head here from time to time under a new alias to stir up a little conflict. A true troll in every sense of the word. Even his chosen user name is a weak attempt to mock my own.

If JR's contention is true, 3 of fitump56's posts have been deleted, as I only count 8 consecutive posts: 17 through 24.

Basketball had a guy like that too. I forget his username though.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jul 16, 2007 05:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
If JR's contention is true, 3 of fitump56's posts have been deleted, as I only count 8 consecutive posts: 17 through 24.

Basketball had a guy like that too. I forget his username though.

FitUmp56 also posts under Steven Tyler, and used to post under PWL. He also apparently has an imaginary friend called Donovan. The names "Wayne" and "Paul" have come up too, I think. All of these different personas are noted for making and then deleting posts. He is also known for answering his own posts by using a different persona

It sure would be simpler if he only used one username to post. Sybil would be kinda apt.

http://www.fright.com/edge/sybil.html

Btw, I don't think that FitUmp56/StevenTyler/PWL/Wayne/Paul has ever been seen in the same room as Old School either.

Also btw, he is also a key member of the legendary on-line on-going feud that rivals the Hatfields and McCoys. He and his various personalities are on one side and BigUmp56/SanDiegoSteve are on the other side. It's kinda like <b>Days Of Our Lives</b> and it's lasted just about as long too, spanning several message boards.

Tune in daily. You never know what you might miss. You have to get there before the moderators though, or you'll miss about 50% of the posts.

It's true, it's true......:D

bob jenkins Mon Jul 16, 2007 06:50am

Quote:

See other posts, asked and answered Bob.

As a point of posting etiquette -- there's no need to repsond to each and every post, especially when you're making the same point.

Quote:

I don't call CCA, how many FED umps do? OBR mechanics, are you talking PBUC? FED mechanics to PBUC? Two man OBRs?
Yes, I meant PBUC (or any other mechanics used in leagues that use OBR). The point is, you criticised a specific coverage under FED mechanics, when the coverage is the same under all (large-diamond) mechanics. What would you propose instead?

Quote:

What is stupid is to put umps in a set of mechanics they rarely use.
On this topic, I generally agree. "Competent" two-person mechanics are better than "incompetent" three-person mechanics. And, if the individuals don't have the proper training, the time to get it is NOT during the most important games. Still, that sounds like a problem with your area / association than with any specific mechanics or plan to use 3 umpires during the playoffs. Many areas provide that training during the season.

JugglingReferee Mon Jul 16, 2007 08:50am

Quote:

Btw, I don't think that FitUmp56/StevenTyler/PWL/Wayne/Paul has ever been seen in the same room as Old School either.

I'm glad that baseball and basketball have opposite seasons. It makes visiting the OF year round worthy.

I stopped watching the stories on TV, maybe this is an acceptable substitute. :)

Rich Mon Jul 16, 2007 08:58am

Quote:

Yup. Matter of fact I could argue (quite convincingly) that 3 is the sweet spot in terms of number of umpires.

Eastshire Mon Jul 16, 2007 09:48am

I agree that 3 man mechanics are quite nice if you are used to them. Randomly grab 3 2-man mechanic umpires and throw them on the field and the result is not always good.

voiceoflg Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire
I agree that 3 man mechanics are quite nice if you are used to them. Randomly grab 3 2-man mechanic umpires and throw them on the field and the result is not always good.

Wow. I didn't expect my question to cause such a stir. But since three-man is only used during the playoffs in FED, it makes sense why there is the occasional problem.

In the ten playoff games I broadcasted this past season, the OP sitch was the only time there was a clusterflop. The runner tagged second (I don't know if he left early or not, I was watching the ball) and headed to third. The ball beat the runner and was tagged before his foot hit third base as he slid. None of the umpires made a call. I kid you not, they just stood around looking at each other. Even the batting team's HC told me after the game the runner was out. The defense then appealed to second that the runner left early and the runner was then called out. Maybe a make up...I don't know.

I was just curious because I am not familiar at all with three-man mechanics as I normally broadcast so few playoff games. In all ten games, this was the ONLY screwup I saw. The rest of that game and all the others went smoothly as far as the officiating went. I even got to call a perfect game...except the kid that threw it was for the other team. :o

Thanks for all the input.

Eastshire Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:14am

Quote:

But since three-man is only used during the playoffs in FED, it makes sense why there is the occasional problem.

This is a misconception stemming from a mistaken thought that the NFHS is a sponsoring authority of the games played under its rules. The state associations are the sponsoring authorities and decide on the number of officials for the playoffs. As often as not, the schools decide for themselves how many to hire for the regular season. I know of at least one conference that mandates 3 man crews for regular season conference games.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jul 16, 2007 02:46pm

Quote:

FitUmp56 also posts under Steven Tyler, and used to post under PWL. He also apparently has an imaginary friend called Donovan. The names "Wayne" and "Paul" have come up too, I think. All of these different personas are noted for making and then deleting posts. He is also known for answering his own posts by using a different persona

It sure would be simpler if he only used one username to post. Sybil would be kinda apt.

http://www.fright.com/edge/sybil.html

Also btw, he is also a key member of the legendary on-line on-going feud that rivals the Hatfields and McCoys. He and his various personalities are on one side and BigUmp56/SanDiegoSteve are on the other side. It's kinda like <b>Days Of Our Lives</b> and it's lasted just about as long too, spanning several message boards.

Tune in daily. You never know what you might miss. You have to get there before the moderators though, or you'll miss about 50% of the posts.

It's true, it's true......:D

You don't have the players right. I can PM you (actually tried, but you don't accept PMs) with the official Days of Our Lives at OF Scorecard. Can't tell the players without a scorecard. The truth shall set you free!

Turn your PM acceptance back on, and I will forward the 411.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jul 16, 2007 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
You don't have the players right. I can PM you (actually tried, but you don't accept PMs) with the official Days of Our Lives at OF Scorecard. Can't tell the players without a scorecard. The truth shall set you free!

Turn your PM acceptance back on, and I will forward the 411.

Steve, I'm really not sure that I want to know the truth.

Sybil is one scary dude.:D

fitump56 Tue Jul 17, 2007 01:30am

See other posts, asked and answered Bob.

Quote:

As a point of posting etiquette -- there's no need to repsond to each and every post, especially when you're making the same point.

Which is why I said "See other posts, Bob. Look, all in all, I don't think you have treated me unfairly and if I have come off as such, I apologize. It's simply not the case.

fitump56 Tue Jul 17, 2007 01:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire
This is a misconception stemming from a mistaken thought that the NFHS is a sponsoring authority of the games played under its rules. The state associations are the sponsoring authorities and decide on the number of officials for the playoffs. As often as not, the schools decide for themselves how many to hire for the regular season. I know of at least one conference that mandates 3 man crews for regular season conference games.

Point taken and I believe you are correct. Sadly, the wealthiest HS ball schools/teams don't put out for that money, IME.:mad:

fitump56 Tue Jul 17, 2007 01:42am

Quote:

Yes, I meant PBUC (or any other mechanics used in leagues that use OBR). The point is, you criticised a specific coverage under FED mechanics, when the coverage is the same under all (large-diamond) mechanics. What would you propose instead?

Fair enough, I guess I would propose that regardless of the mechanc, get umps used to calling 3 Man. I don't see this as a mechanic sitch. Did I answer your question, I am not trying to dodge it.

Quote:

On this topic, I generally agree. "Competent" two-person mechanics are better than "incompetent" three-person mechanics. And, if the individuals don't have the proper training, the time to get it is NOT during the most important games. Still, that sounds like a problem with your area / association than with any specific mechanics or plan to use 3 umpires during the playoffs. Many areas provide that training during the season.
Yes, it is an area issue, but no one teaches squat around here anyway (off soapbox). There is absolutely no good reason that 3 man can't be tried and trued before post season, none. This is my fundemantal complaint, it's not against 3 Man, it's exposing the ridiculousness of not having the proper prep and education well before post season.

bob jenkins Tue Jul 17, 2007 07:49am

Quote:

Yes, it is an area issue, but no one teaches squat around here anyway (off soapbox). There is absolutely no good reason that 3 man can't be tried and trued before post season, none. This is my fundemantal complaint, it's not against 3 Man, it's exposing the ridiculousness of not having the proper prep and education well before post season.

If the umpires want more experience, then tell them it's okay to go to a field on a "day off" and volunteer to jump in with the crew assigned and work three-man.

Or, have the association pony up the cash to pay the third umpire on a few games a year.

Get some umpires who are interested in this together and volunteer to work pre-season scrimmages for free.

David B Tue Jul 17, 2007 09:06am

Quote:

Fair enough, I guess I would propose that regardless of the mechanc, get umps used to calling 3 Man. I don't see this as a mechanic sitch. Did I answer your question, I am not trying to dodge it.

We call three man in 80% of our HS games, so its not always an issue here, but even if you call 3 man all season long, there is no reason NOT to cover all of this in pregame.

Its only about a 5 minute conversation and all three man can be covered thoroughly.

The problem is that some people don't want to do a pre-game thus problems.

thansk
David

scarolinablue Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:06pm

We only do 3-man crews for HS playoffs, two-man the rest of the regular season. However, we use the preseason scrimmages (we're required to work at least 2 - I usually do 3-4 to shake the rust off) to practice 3-man mechanics.

fitump56 Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:27am

Yes, it is an area issue, but no one teaches squat around here anyway (off soapbox). There is absolutely no good reason that 3 man can't be tried and trued before post season, none. This is my fundamental complaint, it's not against 3 Man, it's exposing the ridiculousness of not having the proper prep and education well before post season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B
We call three man in 80% of our HS games, so its not always an issue here, but even if you call 3 man all season long, there is no reason NOT to cover all of this in pregame.

Its only about a 5 minute conversation and all three man can be covered thoroughly.

The problem is that some people don't want to do a pre-game thus problems.

thansk
David

No kidding, HS pay for 3 man where you are? I take that back, it's not as much a money issue as it is a personell issue. The numbers of umps aren't there in many places.