The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

HSM Decorations

Do those of you who wear HSMs decorate them in any way? By that, I mean do you do anything like this: http://www.pbase.com/johnny21/image/82039524 or http://www.pbase.com/johnny21/image/82039509 ?

Other than local association guidelines, is there a protocol for how much/little decoration is acceptable? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, right?

Would participating in international competitions influence your opinion of how much/little or what type of decoration is acceptable on an HSM?

I haven't ever used one and have only seen one in use a couple of times, but found the one referenced above to be a bit over the top. Have you guys seen umpires' HSMs decorated similarly?
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

No, NO and HELL NO

I would love too, but it makes you look unprofessional. Plain Black, Plain Blue, not even a logo painted on it would be optimal. Think of the Hats regular umps wear, plain non-descript. That is what the HSM should be too.

Never Never NEVER.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

WOW

just LMMFAO here at THAT. id start questioning some ORIETNTATIONS about the owner if i saw that in real life. GAWD ALMIGHTY
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 02:09pm
In Memoriam

Well, you could rent out advertising space too.

Just a thought......
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD
Do those of you who wear HSMs decorate them in any way? By that, I mean do you do anything like this: http://www.pbase.com/johnny21/image/82039524 or http://www.pbase.com/johnny21/image/82039509 ?

Other than local association guidelines, is there a protocol for how much/little decoration is acceptable? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, right?

Would participating in international competitions influence your opinion of how much/little or what type of decoration is acceptable on an HSM?

I haven't ever used one and have only seen one in use a couple of times, but found the one referenced above to be a bit over the top. Have you guys seen umpires' HSMs decorated similarly?
Maybe I'm completely misguided on this one, but this IS a joke, right ?
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 11:26pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD
Do those of you who wear HSMs decorate them in any way?
No and I am happy when the mfgs name wears off.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Gentlemen, these are pictures from a different country, where this may be an accepted practice.

I will say, I personally would never wear a painted helmet, even if I moved to a country where it was common place.

Plain black works for me.

Nick
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Leave the painted helmets to the catcher.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

I'm hoping the reason he was wearing that helmet is that he had an equipment malfunction and had to borrow a helmet from the back-up goalie from the hockey rink down the street.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistleone
I'm hoping the reason he was wearing that helmet is that he had an equipment malfunction and had to borrow a helmet from the back-up goalie from the hockey rink down the street.
Nope. Word around the field was that he had a bag full (4) of of those bad boys in the locker room. Each was a different shade. In fact, I was told that he special ordered them and even sent a JPEG file with the artwork he desired.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Well,

Rather than having multiple clown hats I would rather see this umpire buy pants that aren't too short, black or navy ball bags, a shirt that is the correct size and a flex belt to keep it tucked.

He also could go to a clinic in the states and get a stance that is correct and learn NOT to turn his eyes from the field when calling a strike.

Other than that eveything else looks great.

Reggio has many signs of being a Smitty.

Regards,
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

I was going to decorate mine as the fighter pilots of WW II did, with "kills"—rats with the red circular "cancel" symbol over them, like a "no smoking" sign.

Well, I'll think about it.