The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 11:37am
rei

Locking threads...

I know some people think locking threads somehow lends a degree of "respectability" to a BBS, and/or is "the right thing to do".

From my experience being a long time member of another BBS which has flame wars that make this place look like kindergarden, it serves to frustrate people even more, and closes off the chance for a subject/discussion to work it's way into something good by the end.

I have found that often, theads that don't seem to be going well turn around and offer excellent viewpoints if left alone.

The moderators here should really review their "policy" concerning locking threads. If the aim of this site is to increase membership, I can assure you that closing off conversation, no matter how ugly it may get at times, will NOT accomplish this goal.

Life is about conflict leading to resolution. When you chop off the ability to interact, conflicts don't get resolved. This site is for the members who frequent it. Some threads become VERY popular because of the conflict. I have found that most people don't mind that it gets ugly for a while. If only for entertainment purposes, at least the person is engaged and visiting the site eh?

Peace.

Last edited by rei; Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 11:41am.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

This has been discussed before. This is what Brad wants (including deleting new threads started just to discuss what was already closed). Direct your comments to him.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 02:16pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
I have found that often, theads that don't seem to be going well turn around and offer excellent viewpoints if left alone.
Threads that " don't seem to be going well ", more often than not, require a constant vigilance. And further, it is the "personal policy" of the users that will keep a thread from being locked.
Closed Thread