The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   What's a rat to do? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/36376-whats-rat-do.html)

RPatrino Mon Jul 09, 2007 04:30pm

Kawallac,there are times when asking for help is the proper thing to do, but this situation is not one of them. There are many times that a play will look very different depending on where you are viewing it from. Sometimes, in fact, the 1st base coach may have a better angle on banger plays at first then the umpire does, particularly when in the C position (SS side of 2b).

So, to answer your question. The best way to get ask an umpire to get help is to do so on a play where it is appropriate and those are few. When I coached a long time ago, I used to ask an ump to get help on the very first close play of the game. If he did, I was in like flint. More than likely I got my first warning of the game.

BigUmp56 Mon Jul 09, 2007 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawallac
The question was what else could I have done?

At the risk of repeating myself, let me repeat myself. You already did what you're supposed to do and all that you can do if you don't agree with a judgment call. Ask the calling umpire if he'll go for help. If he doesn't honor your request, go back to the dugout or coaches box and move on.

Tim.

ozzy6900 Mon Jul 09, 2007 06:41pm

Quote:

Dixie Pre-Major (15-16) tournament. R2 takes large secondary lead. F2 throws down to second. R2 beats throw feet first, is laying on back, foot on bag. I'm in first base coaching box. No call by umpire located at SS. F6 points at runner's foot says, "He's off the base!" and rolls the ball to the mound (out 3). Umpire makes the out call. Defense leaves field. I immediately ask umpire to request help from umpire on first base side. He says it's his call. I agree and say that we (me and umpire near first) had a different view. He says he "had the angle." I say that we had a better angle and again ask him to ask the other umpire what he saw.

Obviously, it didn't go my way. The defensive players are laughing and high-fiving. R2 says he was on the base the whole time.

What is the best way to get an umpire to request help?

Forget all that BS, what I want to know is why do you coaches think that someone 90' away has a better view that a person 6' from the play? Come to think of it, why don't you have someone from the stands (about 150' away) give help on the call.

You guys really make me sick! The call didn't go your way, put your tail between your legs, and get on defense!

Regards!

DonInKansas Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:38pm

Quote:

Dixie Pre-Major (15-16) tournament. R2 takes large secondary lead. F2 throws down to second.
What is the best way to get an umpire to request help?

From a purely baseball point of view, you can avoid this specific sitch altogether. Teach your kids that at 2nd, a throwdown from F2 to second means take off for third base. Unless the kid's hauling a fully loaded wagon you'll get that base nearly every time.