The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Struck Out to 1st Base!?

Maybe some of you guys remember the situation in the 7th inning of last night's Mets - Yankees Game. Two Out. David Wright at bat. Count 2-2. Chien-Ming Wang pitched to dirt. Wright swung. Strike Out Swinging! But, Posada couldn't get control of the ball and Wright jogged to 1st base. Wild Pitch.

Now my questions: If I remember well, it was recorded as Wang's 7th Strike Out of the game, although Wright has been still in the game. Doesn't Strike Out mean the player is out on strikes? Why can a player remain in the game by a Wild Pitch when he was struck out just before?

I'm sure you recognized some confusion in my mind. I would be appreciate if somebody tries to explain me the rule or my misunderstanding.

Cheers from Germany!
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Go to your rulebook. Check the section on Scoring. A strikeout requires a put-out for an out to be recorded.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocebe
Now my questions: If I remember well, it was recorded as Wang's 7th Strike Out of the game, although Wright has been still in the game. Doesn't Strike Out mean the player is out on strikes? Why can a player remain in the game by a Wild Pitch when he was struck out just before?
I didn't see the game, but Wang gets credited with the strike out and Wright goes to first base on either a wild pitch charged to Wang or a passed ball charged to Posada. A batter becomes a runner when a third strike is not caught and first base is not occupied with less than two outs or when there are two outs (regardless if first base is occupied). It's rule 6.09(b). http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...s/batter_6.jsp

Last edited by Delaware Blue; Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 11:32am.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Strikeout is a statistical pitching term. Even if the batter isn't put out (in this case, because of a dropped third strike), the pitcher is given credit for throwing three strikes.

It's interesting to note that, because of this rule, a pitcher can record more than 3 strikeouts in an inning. This page might help. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats19.shtml
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Thanks a lot for help!
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
A batter is not retired when he swings and misses or takes a called third strike. He is retired when the pitch is caught by the catcher or he is put out at first base if the pitch is not caught. As others have noted, the pitcher is credited with a strikeout.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
The most interesting way that this was explained to me, and it makes a lot of sense, but is that to have an out, the ball has to be caught (or possessed) by the defense completing the out. Essentially, every normal put out results in from a ball being caught (or possessed) by a defender. Of course the obvious exceptions would be the various forms of interference (runner hit by a batted ball, interfering with the catcher or another fielder, etc). With the exception of the interference issues, a dropped/uncaught ball, whether on a third strike, a tag play, or an attempted force out is never an out.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
... a dropped/uncaught ball, whether on a third strike, a tag play, or an attempted force out is never an out.
I couldn't disagree more.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 03:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
He is retired when the pitch is caught by the catcher or he is put out at first base if the pitch is not caught.
How about also out if he is tagged by the catcher with the ball.?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 03:38pm

Thumbs down

Quote:
The most interesting way that this was explained to me, and it makes a lot of sense, but is that to have an out, the ball has to be caught (or possessed) by the defense completing the out. Essentially, every normal put out results in from a ball being caught (or possessed) by a defender. Of course the obvious exceptions would be the various forms of interference (runner hit by a batted ball, interfering with the catcher or another fielder, etc). With the exception of the interference issues, a dropped/uncaught ball, whether on a third strike, a tag play, or an attempted force out is never an out.
Wow, what a complicated way to look at a simple rule.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
How about also out if he is tagged by the catcher with the ball.?
Yeah, yeah...don't you have a paper to work on???
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

I had a pitcher record 5 K's in an inning tonight. 2 of the batters who K'd came around to score. Needless to say, many curveballs in the dirt tonight.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 01:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Yeah, yeah...don't you have a paper to work on???
I have so much homework I'm just sick about it!
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
I couldn't disagree more.
What is the basis of your disagreement? I know there are exceptions and that the person that taught me this was using a fairly broad generalization, which I accounted for by saying "with the exception". I know its over complicated, but as I said it was just a generalization.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is the basis of your disagreement? I know there are exceptions and that the person that taught me this was using a fairly broad generalization, which I accounted for by saying "with the exception". I know its over complicated, but as I said it was just a generalization.
If there are less than 2 outs and first base is occupied, batter is always out on third strike.

This is more to clarify for those non-umpires viewing this thread.