The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Blood

18 year old players. Baseball (in case you wondered). Playing OBR

WE KNOW what to do when working under FED rules, doing HS baseball. and WE KNOW what to do under NCAA rules doing college baseball. Both these codes clearly tell what we must do. And from a standpoint of safety and minimizing risk, the actions seem appropriate and warranted.

But do we do, or should we do (if anything) under OBR? Batter steps in and his pants at the knee have a 2 inch circle of blood, he is clearly bleeding.

I felt the NEED to do something, again it is still "kid" baseball. But I wanted to be supported by some statute, however, that may not exist.

I've canvassed my professional bretheran. They said no policy or procedure exists in Minor League baseball, however, I would the player without prompt may just get new pants from the clubhouse. maybe.

Don't misinterpret. I am an advocate of "less is more". I don't neccessarily WANT to get into this or do something.. but, again, its 2007, and blood and contact sports IS a legitimate concern.

But back to the case at hand. What would you do? What do you recommend.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran

WE KNOW what to do when working under FED rules, doing HS baseball. and WE KNOW what to do under NCAA rules doing college baseball. Both these codes clearly tell what we must do. And from a standpoint of safety and minimizing risk, the actions seem appropriate and warranted.

But do we do, or should we do (if anything) under OBR? Batter steps in and his pants at the knee have a 2 inch circle of blood, he is clearly bleeding.

I felt the NEED to do something, again it is still "kid" baseball. But I wanted to be supported by some statute, however, that may not exist.

I've canvassed my professional bretheran. They said no policy or procedure exists in Minor League baseball, however, I would the player without prompt may just get new pants from the clubhouse. maybe.

Don't misinterpret. I am an advocate of "less is more". I don't neccessarily WANT to get into this or do something.. but, again, its 2007, and blood and contact sports IS a legitimate concern.

In Washington state WAC 296-823, I believe it is, mandates that all employees within the state are to be free from contact with blood pathogens and related risks while on the job. Since I'm on the job, I would take whatever action was required to assure compliance and protect myself and the players.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran

Ah, but a policy DOES exist in the PBUC Blue Book.

7.29 Policy on Open Wounds During Game

"It is important for all umpires to know that some precautions will be taken that may cause brief delays in a game. For example, if a garment(s) is penetrated by blood or other potentially infectious materials, the garment(s) shall be removed immediately or as soon as feasible".

Policy goes on about using common sense, etc.

End result - if batter comes up with open, bleeding wound send him dugout to fix (At minimum cover the wound). If refused, you now have grounds for ejection.

Note: Common sense dictates that calling time and sending player to get his knee fixed should do the trick 99% of the time.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 04:21am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
There is no short and sweet remedy here. Officials have to take the hard road, if there is blood, there is danger.