The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Balkin Bob?

Just wondering if someone saw the first balk called on Giants pitcher last night. ESPN showed the second which was pretty obvious, but they didn't show the first one. On the web news, the Giants all didn't see the first one and questioned it.

Of course the umpire making the call Bob Davidson "balkin Bob".

Just wondering if it really was a balk as some of his calls are often questionable.

Thanks
David
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

The pitcher clearly breathed while on the mound with the ball.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

It was very early in Benitez' taking the rubber....hadn't come to a set yet, and his back shoulder flinch. There was an angle on SNY that made it clear.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Holy Cow!! What is wrong with Armando Benetiz? Even 10 year olds know that you can't do that!!

I know that the MLB umpires take some heat here, and well they should, when they deserve it. Not in this case, these were gutsy calls in a pressure situation with the game on the line. How many of us make these calls or just become shrinking violets when the heat is on?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Just wondering if someone saw the first balk called on Giants pitcher last night. ESPN showed the second which was pretty obvious, but they didn't show the first one. On the web news, the Giants all didn't see the first one and questioned it.

Just wondering if it really was a balk as some of his calls are often questionable.

Thanks
David
I don't have a problem with the calls at all, just for education purposes wanting to see what he did wrong.

The last balk was basic (see it in HS all the time), but the first one no one seemed to know what he did and the UIC did not explain it other than to say that it was an obvious balk.

Obvious to whom was my question... (g)

Thanks
David
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Obviously obvious to he who made it!!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 12:14pm
In Memoriam

The NY Daily News quoted Davidson as saying after the game:
"The first balk, Benitez was looking in and started his body and he didn't like the sign, I guess, and stopped. Basically he started and stopped."
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B

Thanks
David
The second balk was obvious and a "no brainer". In watching the game it seemed as if all the umpires were calling balk.

The first one i cannot figure out. Also, it seems as if ONLY Bob Davidson saw the balk because none of the other umpires "blinked"

As far as making a "gutsy" call IMO I do not think the last call was "gutsy" even though the game was on the line. I think most who saw the game called balk at almost the same time the umpires did. Every-one knew that Benitez balked.

I would not have called the first balk. Granted I didn't have my eyes GLUED to F1 but the balk was "petty" at best and IMO should not have been called.

The last one - No problem. The first one as the title of your thread indicates is Balkin Bob

BTW he had another call that went against LaDuca where he rang up a strike on a questionable check swing. So besides the balk Davidson also contributed in "other" ways.

Pete Booth
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Ok...I'll admit it. Last night when I was watching while half asleep, I thought for sure Bob had the 1st balk call correct. I've watched it 10 times today at ESPN.com...and I just don't see a balk. That's my two cents.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

hi,
for me as a new umpire, its not that obvious, that flinching his shoulder has to be called a balk, if he is not in set position. could anybody of you explain me, why this has to be called a balk (not in set position) and which rule is enforced.

regards
bruno
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

First balk...started and stopped. Maybe more subtle than Froemming would call, but a violation nevertheless.