The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

TA11..
I think you handled it very well. Were you prepared to dump him after you took off your mask and showed him the dreaded stop sign? IMO after the mask comes off, any more chirping is a ticket to the parking lot.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Thanks for all the responses.

I've noticed some things wrong, and want to ask a few more questions

Things to learn: a) keep the words concise b) ask a leading question (are you going to argue balls and strikes? vs. do you want to argue balls and strikes).

Now one more question.

I had taken off my mask to check on the player and also clean the plate. The mask was already off during all the chirping. Should it have stayed on through this whole process?

And then when I take it off, thats a good warning to the coach?

Thanks.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Tuss, my feeling is that anytime you are going to talk to someone, take your mask off. Of course, if you think punches will be thrown, leave it on.

You would hope that any coach who's been around longer than 5 minutes would understand that if the umpire has his mask off and is heading in his direction that something bad is about to happen. Ya Right!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
If you didnt have to dump the rat and didn't leave a mess for someone else then perfect!

Most rats won't recognize removing the mask or a stare as a warning.
Loudly verbalizing, "You're not arguing strikes?" or "that's all!" tells everyone what he's doing and if he continues, of course he will get dumped. If the rat is too stubborn to shut up then he deserves his fate.

Read Garth's latest: it's perfect. Today's DH
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 12:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
Here's where some of you are going to jump all over me. The next time this little guy came up he was the first up in the inning so I walked over to him and asked him if his coaches had ever taught him how to react when the ball is coming straight at him. He said no so I continued and explained to him how to always turn away from pitch and bend over so as to "protect" the bat and himself from getting hit somewhere where you don't want to get hit.

Two of the coaches overheard the conversation and immediately started to explain this to the other kids on the bench.

A 20 second discussion that hopefully helped the kids learn to protect themselves.

At the end of the game, the little guy, his mom and one of the coaches came over and thanked me for further explaining the call and what he should have done differently.
I have received plaques, certificates, and thank yous at these lower levels for taking the time to show a youngster the right way to do something.

Many times at this level, the coaching is nothing more than some dads with little coaching experience. Even with several coaches on a team, they often don't have the time to teach certain fundamentals, and I have found that at this level, the coaches do appreciate any help you can give. Just don't hold up the game to put on a clinic, and there should be no problem in giving some advice.

Sometimes after a knotty problem or some rules interpretation in which the participants are confused, between innings I will take the time to explain the "why" behind the ruling. This seems to help educate the younger players, especially when it comes to interference and obstruction rules, which are two of the most abused rules at the lower levels.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue May 29, 2007 at 12:31am.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 11:03am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I have received plaques, certificates, and thank yous at these lower levels for taking the time to show a youngster the right way to do something.

Many times at this level, the coaching is nothing more than some dads with little coaching experience. Even with several coaches on a team, they often don't have the time to teach certain fundamentals, and I have found that at this level, the coaches do appreciate any help you can give. Just don't hold up the game to put on a clinic, and there should be no problem in giving some advice.

Sometimes after a knotty problem or some rules interpretation in which the participants are confused, between innings I will take the time to explain the "why" behind the ruling. This seems to help educate the younger players, especially when it comes to interference and obstruction rules, which are two of the most abused rules at the lower levels.
I agree entirely. At any level below HS (except permanent travel teams), I have no problem explaining a rule to either a player or a coach. Our 13-14 league pitchers get one balk warning each. Many times I have explained what they are doing wrong and how to correct it. I always get thanks from the coaches.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
This is a serious question, how do you handle coaches in the dugout that are continually complaining about balls and strikes or a judgment call?
Don't let it become "continually".
Ignore, Warn, Eject.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
I agree entirely. At any level below HS (except permanent travel teams), I have no problem explaining a rule to either a player or a coach. Our 13-14 league pitchers get one balk warning each. Many times I have explained what they are doing wrong and how to correct it. I always get thanks from the coaches.
10U is a different animal, and while I will NOT coach at anything higher (EVER!), I've found myself doing so at 10U on occasion. One thing I would recommend though - make SURE the coach knows you're doing it and is ok with it. Depending on where you cross that coaching line, some might get offended that you're giving a player opposite instructions to something they have told them (right or wrong).
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 02:56pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
10U is a different animal, and while I will NOT coach at anything higher (EVER!), I've found myself doing so at 10U on occasion. One thing I would recommend though - make SURE the coach knows you're doing it and is ok with it. Depending on where you cross that coaching line, some might get offended that you're giving a player opposite instructions to something they have told them (right or wrong).
I don't teach them the mechanics of pitching. Usually it's something simple like he's in the set position and his hands are together, then he goes into a windup motion. I just tell him once his hands are together he must either pitch, take his pivot foot off, or make a play. Considering the level of coaches we have, the majority of the time, both coaches benefit.

When I give a balk warning, I ask the pitcher if he knows what he did. I have had a couple of occasions when for whatever reason the pitcher didn't seem to get it right. Believe me I am aware of crossing the line. I have enough issues coaching my son's team.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
Had the exact same situation with a 10 year old the other day where the pitch was coming straight at him and his defense mechanism was to try to hit the ball towards his dugout, he missed and it hit him square in the chest. I yell "Time. Strike Two".

Kid is crying, coach is yelling that the pitch hit him and the kid's mom is running from her lawnchair to check out little Jimmy.

Had to explain to all three that if the player tries to hit the ball it doesn't matter if he gets hit it is a deadball and a strike. Needless to say none of them were too impressed.

Here's where some of you are going to jump all over me. The next time this little guy came up he was the first up in the inning ....
Not jumping all over you but there was a time when I was a LL coach. As most LL coaches do I had to deal with some kids who were not quite as good as the best. They were my own little projects, usually it took a while but eventually they got a solid single, or made a good play in the field, or whatever.

Anyway...this one kid took a pitch off his chest as he "swung", just as in your play. The ump, a 15 year old trainee doing his first game behind the plate called a strike, just like you did. I bet he felt pretty good about it too.

There wasn't any yelling and no one jumped up out of their lawn chair. But I did walk out to ask what was going on and bit my tongue when told my number 9 hitting right fielder did not earn first base for his pains.

That kid quit right there on the spot. He never had his next at bat.

Still bothers me to this day.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 08:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Don't let it become "continually".
Ignore, Warn, Eject.
Well that's usually what I do, but the warning involves the mask coming off, me walking part of the way over to the dug out and telling them to knock it off. Should this warning be issued from the plate while the mask stays on?
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 09:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
Well that's usually what I do, but the warning involves the mask coming off, me walking part of the way over to the dug out and telling them to knock it off. Should this warning be issued from the plate while the mask stays on?
Do that which is comfortable.
Personally, I try not to be dramatic, ...or loud, although it has happened from time to time.