The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Ouch, tough night for a Brother

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...705250307/1006

In my state, a Regional game is big, big, big, and the umpires are the ones the coaches want to have.

And then our fellow umpires have a night, and some media guy puts it all over the front page of the sport section. If I am not mistaken this man does occasionally post on umpire web sites. He's a great guy, and I hope he doesn't see this.

So, rookies, what did PU do wrong in this pitcure?

It's also funny, the local paper for the losing side of this game had the losing manager saying the balk call was a bad call, because the pitcher had done it all day. Right.

This is a good reminder of making sure you keep to the fiunadmentals every time you work a game.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Looks to me like the big guy just wants a hug. My guess is this is the wrong venue and he needs to work on his timing right?
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Dog, Good job

You're half right. It's not so much timing as a distance and angle issue. He also might have fogotten a basic mechanic of umpiring on plays like this. But, he also needs a small benefit of a doubt, the Out of Play area at this park is much bigger than other venues and he might have lost some perspective. More about this later.

The part you are missing deals with his equipment.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 09:57pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Mask

He still has his mask on, should be off.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

The timing refers to the hug.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl
He still has his mask on, should be off.
You got it!

RE: "timing of the hug" == Nice shot.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:09pm
In Time Out

When coaches pick the umpires, it doesn't mean they are quality umpires. I saw a four man crew last week that was just glad to be there. U1 was lazy. U2 failed to come inside and make call at 2B that fell into short RF and BR tried stretched into a double. He just stood in the outfield like no play was happening. Both he and U3 both made safe calls. U2 also brushed off the rubber and 2B with a plate brush between innings. Ball gets away from catcher and runner on 2B advances to 3B and U3 makes call from out in foul ground and still hadn't moved forward to the edge of the infield dirt. Which it looked like he missed, because he had such a bad angle. First batter of the game lofts a fly ball to center field and PU heads out to the mound like he is in two man. They missed several balks by the home pitcher from the wind up. I was sitting next to a coach who was scouting the teams and would be playing the winner if his team advanced. His were defending state champions in their classification. I mentioned to the coach, "I don't know how you decide on umpires, but I would make sure you tell your head coach not to let any of these four do it". He concurred whole-heartedly.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they were wearing red shirts. That tipped me off right there.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Fri May 25, 2007 at 11:18pm.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Steven,

In my state, the suits believe that "you pick your own poison", though some guys get games because of choices made by the head office of the association.

In large states, it would be hard to have th estate association evaluate every tournament eligible umpire, but that that's the best way to choose guys, and they do it in other sports. I wish they did it in BB.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:20pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
You're half right. It's not so much timing as a distance and angle issue. He also might have fogotten a basic mechanic of umpiring on plays like this. But, he also needs a small benefit of a doubt, the Out of Play area at this park is much bigger than other venues and he might have lost some perspective. More about this later.

The part you are missing deals with his equipment.
I always pivot and follow catcher, but not this close. If I see he is going to make a play, the mask comes off. If F2 goes back towards the net, I try to get back next to the net to see if ball touches before a possible catch.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

He probably didn't let the catcher dictate where he was going to move.
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 12:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
I was sitting next to a coach who was scouting the teams and would be playing the winner if his team advanced. His were defending state champions in their classification. I mentioned to the coach, "I don't know how you decide on umpires, but I would make sure you tell your head coach not to let any of these four do it". He concurred whole-heartedly.
That's wrong in any sport. It speaks greatly about your complete lack of professionalism.

The applicable term is "back-stabber".
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I mentioned to the coach, "I don't know how you decide on umpires, but I would make sure you tell your head coach not to let any of these four do it". He concurred whole-heartedly.
I hope there was enough room under the bus for all four of them, Bizarro. What, were you vying for a spot on the field for his game?
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 01:33am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That's wrong in any sport. It speaks greatly about your complete lack of professionalism.

I think azzhole is a much better term. I don't care how bad the officials were this is just unprofessional. He probably needs coaches to start blacklisting guys so that he can get better games and have other officials say the same things about him.
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 05:01am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Hey is Old School popping out clones for all of the forums now?
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
When coaches pick the umpires, it doesn't mean they are quality umpires. I saw a four man crew last week that was just glad to be there. U1 was lazy. U2 failed to come inside and make call at 2B that fell into short RF and BR tried stretched into a double. He just stood in the outfield like no play was happening. Both he and U3 both made safe calls. U2 also brushed off the rubber and 2B with a plate brush between innings. Ball gets away from catcher and runner on 2B advances to 3B and U3 makes call from out in foul ground and still hadn't moved forward to the edge of the infield dirt. Which it looked like he missed, because he had such a bad angle. First batter of the game lofts a fly ball to center field and PU heads out to the mound like he is in two man. They missed several balks by the home pitcher from the wind up. I was sitting next to a coach who was scouting the teams and would be playing the winner if his team advanced. His were defending state champions in their classification. I mentioned to the coach, "I don't know how you decide on umpires, but I would make sure you tell your head coach not to let any of these four do it". He concurred whole-heartedly.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they were wearing red shirts. That tipped me off right there.
What level of ball? Red Jerseys are appropros for 11-12 Majors in LL for the HPU.