The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Official scoring on runner - drop 3rd (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/34777-official-scoring-runner-drop-3rd.html)

craig96 Fri May 18, 2007 06:26pm

Official scoring on runner - drop 3rd

With a runner on second, 0 outs, the batter swings at strike three, which gets away from the catcher. The batter is safe at first, the runner safe at third.

The scoring for the batter I believe is that he reached on an error, the pitcher gets a strikeout for his stats, but does the runner get credit for a stolen base?

In a younger grade where stealing is not allowed yet, should a runner be allowed to advance on a dropped third strike, or would this officially be considered a steal?

I just found this forum and plan to be a regular. How cool is this?

Craig

bob jenkins Fri May 18, 2007 08:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig96
With a runner on second, 0 outs, the batter swings at strike three, which gets away from the catcher. The batter is safe at first, the runner safe at third.

The scoring for the batter I believe is that he reached on an error, the pitcher gets a strikeout for his stats, but does the runner get credit for a stolen base?

In a younger grade where stealing is not allowed yet, should a runner be allowed to advance on a dropped third strike, or would this officially be considered a steal?

Craig

Most umpires don't care about the scoring aspects. Try baseballscorecard.com

In "younger grade" games, check the local rules. The fact that it's a D3K shouldn't matter -- would the runner normally be allowed to advance on an uncaught pitch?

Welcome.

craig96 Fri May 18, 2007 08:40pm

More about allowing them to "steal"

Yeah, I'm with you on whether or not I care about the official scoring (I don't.) it was more about whether a runner should be allowed to advance on that play or not. The local rules are not clear other than to say "no stealing and no leadoffs" at that age.

That's why I phrased the question to find out if this qualifies as a steal or not. Thanks for the reply!

UmpJM Fri May 18, 2007 09:02pm

craig96,

A batter-runner advancing to 1B on a 3rd strike not caught is most certainly NOT a steal.

Most youth leagues for younger players that I am familiar with that do not allow steals/leadoffs also do not (ever) have the batter become a runner on a 3rd strike not caught. But, it's usually explicitly stated in the league's rules, separately from the steal/lead-off proscriptions.

JM

Rich Ives Fri May 18, 2007 09:26pm

Quote:

Craig

From Rule 10.12

The official scorer shall not charge an error when the batter is awarded first base on four called balls, when the batter is awarded first base when touched by a pitched ball, or when the batter reaches first base as the result of a wild pitch or passed ball.

From Rule 10.13

(a) The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball is so high, so wide or so low that the catcher does not stop and control the ball by ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a wild pitch, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a wild pitch.

(b) The official scorer shall charge a catcher with a passed ball when the catcher fails to hold or to control a legally pitched ball that should have been held or controlled with ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a passed ball, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a passed ball.

DG Fri May 18, 2007 09:33pm

Quote:

Technically, by rule, a wild pitch or passed ball is recorded as such an an error is not recorded. So the pitcher gets a K and a wild pitch if it was wild, if not he gets a K and the catcher gets a passed ball.

BR is credited with reaching base on a wild pitch or passed ball as the case may be, not a steal. And he is charged with a time at bat. R2 who went to 3B is credited with advancing on a wild pitch as the case may be, no steal.

The last question is for the league adminstrators to decide how they want the game played, but I have never seen a league with 60 foot bases allow a BR to try to advance to 1B on a dropped 3rd strike.

BoomerSooner Fri May 18, 2007 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG
R2 who went to 3B is credited with advancing on a wild pitch as the case may be, no steal.

This case suggests no steal, but had the runner been attempting to steal on the pitch, he is typically awarded a stolen base. Otherwise you are correct.

David Emerling Mon May 21, 2007 02:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG
BR is credited with reaching base on a wild pitch or passed ball as the case may be, not a steal. And he is charged with a time at bat. R2 who went to 3B is credited with advancing on a wild pitch as the case may be, no steal.

Statistically speaking, not only does the pitcher get credited with a strikeout - but so does the batter. In addition, the pitcher is charged with a wild pitch -or- the catcher is charged with a passed ball, whichever is appropriate. It has to be one or the other since runners advanced on the pitch.

R2 does not get credited with a stolen base. No runners are ever credited with a stolen base on a wild pitch (or passed ball) unless, in the opinion of the official scorer, they would have successfully stolen the base had the ball not become loose. In this latter case, the runner would have to have been stealing on the pitch. It does not sound like that was the case in this scenario.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN