The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

B position - pick off at first

2 man.
how exactly do you determine where to set up in "B" - R1 only? i've read that you should line up with a line running from the plate to the edge of the dirt around the mound. correct? if so, should you be centered on this line?

secondly, how deep - midway between the rubber and 2nd? i see a lot of guys work very deep.

lastly, what footwork do you use on a pick off to first?

thanks.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 11:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Honestly, I set up about half way between the pitching rubber and second base. After that I do not think that much more about it. It really is not that big of a deal where you set up as long as you can get the angle and call the play appropriately. I might adjust based on if I have a right hand batter or left handed batter if the hitter is likely to hit the ball in my direction. After that I am pretty much at the half way point as always.

Peace
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
2 man.
how exactly do you determine where to set up in "B" - R1 only? i've read that you should line up with a line running from the plate to the edge of the dirt around the mound. correct? if so, should you be centered on this line?

secondly, how deep - midway between the rubber and 2nd? i see a lot of guys work very deep.

thanks.
You read correctly, centered on the line, although I will take a look at F4 and if he is playing toward the bag I might move a step to my right so I am not in his way.

Midway is correct, and I also have seen guys work deeper. I tend to work a little closer to pitcher.

Take a step forward, toward the 45 foot line and turn and get set toward 1b to make the call.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

R1. BU in B. BU, should be APPROX. 1/2 between Pitchers mound and 2B, on a line APPROX from HP through the FB side of the dirt of the mound.

I get approx. there.

I look to be able to see the side of 1B facing 2nd and I anticipate there's going to be a diving R1, so I hedge a bit towards the mound I want to see this with a simple one step forward and a pivot to square up to the bag. I usually wait to adjust a bit, until R1 establishes his lead.

I am conscious of staying as much out of the batters line of site as I can, never had a complaint from a batter. But when I'm PU, I'm always wondering to myself, why some batters don't ask BU to slide a bit?
I mean ya hear it from CF, SS, 2B even a runner now and then, "can you give me a step blue"? But the one guy that can't move his position, the batter, I've never had one ask. Hmm.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 11:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike
I am conscious of staying as much out of the batters line of site as I can, never had a complaint from a batter. But when I'm PU, I'm always wondering to myself, why some batters don't ask BU to slide a bit?

I mean ya hear it from CF, SS, 2B even a runner now and then, "can you give me a step blue"? But the one guy that can't move his position, the batter, I've never had one ask. Hmm.
My theory on this is that the batter isn't really looking at you. He is busy concentrating on the pitcher, and more specifically his release point. He doesn't need you to move because to him, you aren't even there. The fielders don't want to lose their precise alignment, so they request you to move.

By the way, the proper way to move is a step forward on your line, or a step back on your line, not left or right. This clears the line of sight for the fielder, plus keeps you in relatively the same position for your plays as well.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
To expand on what Steve said about the BU's position affecting (or not) the batter. This is a good reason to get set before the pitcher starts his pitch. It's motion that will attract the batter's eye. Get set before the pitch and there won't be a problem.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
2 man.

thanks.
There are some officials who like to work very deep and they are usually afraid that they are going to get hit by the ball.

My rule of thumb is that you should be able to look over the left shoulder and see F4. Helps keep you out of his way without him having to ask you to move.

Others have good advice on how to make a call.

Thanks
DAvid