The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Situation:

Nobody on, nobody out. BR after a D3S is not fully aware of the situation but begins to jog to first, failing to drop the bat. Catcher has trouble coming up with the baseball and BR safely crosses first base, with the bat in hand. I searched my rulebook and could find a specific ruling. Rule 9.01c states that the umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules. I think I would call the runner out for disrupting the natural flow of the game but I may be missing something.. thoughts>?
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00j44
I think I would call the runner out for disrupting the natural flow of the game but I may be missing something.. thoughts>?
Yes, you are missing common sense. Don't invent outs where they don't exist.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Nobody on, nobody out. BR after a D3S is not fully aware of the situation but begins to jog to first, failing to drop the bat. Catcher has trouble coming up with the baseball and BR safely crosses first base, with the bat in hand. I searched my rulebook and could find a specific ruling. Rule 9.01c states that the umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules. I think I would call the runner out for disrupting the natural flow of the game but I may be missing something.. thoughts>?
Tell me how it's against the rules to carry a bat to first base.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Disrupting the natural flow of the game?

checks rulebook, nope, not there

Hell, if thats a criterion for baseball, only about 1% of games would ever be played.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

..it makes those interference calls really spectacular at 2B and 3B.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, 9.01(c) "states that the umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules"; however, the reasons that a runner may be out IS COVERED IN THE RULES. Thus, you may not apply 9.01(c) in this instance.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tell me why you would even consider the fact that carrying a bat around the diamond was against the rules? How is this"disrupting the natural flow of the game"? And to back it up, we'll use 9.01c!

I swear, it we could remove 9.01c in OBR and its mate FED 10-2-2, many of these people would have to give up umpiring! Baseball is officiated by rules, not myths!

Sorry if I sound like I am getting fed up but to tell the truth, the caliber of umpiring that I am seeing lately and the posts that I am reading lately is leading me to believe that no one is opening a rule book anymore!

I will now renew my medication!
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=ozzy6900
I swear, it we could remove 9.01c in OBR and its mate FED 10-2-2, many of these people would have to give up umpiring! Baseball is officiated by rules, not myths!

QUOTE]
That would actually be FED 10-2-3-L
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
It's not! He's already checked the rules and can't find anything stating it's illegal but he still feels that something should be done. I wish everyone would just take a big marker and black out rule 9.01c.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can not call the BR out for "disrupting the natural flow of the game" unless he touched 1B with his left foot first while carrying the bat (see 9.01c). If the BR touched 1B with his right foot first then he is okay (see 9.01c). But if he jumped on 1B with both feet then he is also out, unless there were already 2 outs, then it's a "Do Over" (see 9.01c). Now if it's a Do-Over and the BR carries the bat to 1B then you force him to drag the field after the game, unless his parents offer to buy you dinner (see 9.01c).
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
unless his parents offer to buy you dinner (see 9.01c).
Don't forget the exception: If the kid has a single parent, and she's a GLM, then you can offer to buy dinner. If she accepts, then the same rule applies.

Please note that this rule was written many years ago. "GLM" is now interpreted to mean any single parent of whatever sex you are interested in.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 10:48am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Don't forget the exception: If the kid has a single parent, and she's a GLM, then you can offer to buy dinner. If she accepts, then the same rule applies.

Doesn't that also come under 9.01c - Parental interference? No, that's not it... I'll come up with something.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

Please note that this rule was written many years ago. "GLM" is now interpreted to mean any single parent of whatever sex you are interested in.
This is 2007, so it is very possble the she could be a "Good Looking Male" So be careful when using abbreviations here????

Did I just write that?
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
He's thinking of softball where in the 90's you could not carry the bat to first base or you were out.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Someone needs to tell umpires early in their career, and every year thereafter, that MOST umpires will never have to use 9.01c. The rules are pretty comprehensive. 9.01c is for the completely unforseen. Consider the OP ... don't you think that the rulesmakers could forsee a runner carrying the bat to first? Don't you think that if they wanted an out for this, they would have put it in the rules?

My one 9.01c situation. High pop up, not sure who is going to catch it, if anyone - between F4 and F9. I hear the crowd behind me go "OOOOOoooo!!!" and don't know why. Then BU stops in his tracks and beelines it for the 1BCoach's box ... again, I don't know why. I'm still watching the fly ball, when all of a sudden blocking my view is a parachutist! He lands somewhere near where the ball was going.

Now THAT's a 9.01c situation.

Stop using the rule as a crutch.