The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Breakthrough games

I'd like to ask about games folks have worked that they remember as breakthrough games where they took their umpiring to a new level. Tonight I had my first big time HS game. Two jacked up teams playing for first place, big, noisy crowd. The final score 1-0, winning run on BL 1 out, 3-2 count walk in bottom 7th. Both pitchers worked the edges of the strike zone to perfection all night, one living on the inside, and occasionally at the top, the other on the outside. Very few fat strikes or obvious balls. I had to lock in early and stay focused because each pitch was real work to call. As I got more relaxed and confident, my body language got better and helped me project professionalism and authority.

After the game, I felt like I had nailed it, and that the kids knew exactly what to expect early on and that they (not I) decided the game. To me this was a breakthrough in my young umpiring career which has had many yawners and not a lot of well played well contested games with something on the line; yes, I do mostly rec.

I know that there are many more tests to come, but the fact that I aced this one gives me confidence that I can work big time games.

So what kinds of memorable games have some of you had over the years that built your confidence that you had taken your game to the next level. What kinds of challenges did you step up to in those games.

This is a game that I'll remember fondly.

BTW, when the count was 3-2 on the final batter, I was hoping that if the game was going to end on a walk, the pitch would be obviously out of the strike zone. I got my wish.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 08:01am
Stop staring at me swan.

Good for you! Those are excited times...but remember, we're only as good as our next call. May all your games be great ones.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 11:19am
BigGuy

Breakthrough games - when the coach of the team who has just lost 3-2 comes up after the game, shakes your hand and says "that was the finest game I've ever seen umpired". I was the grand old age of 19.

But as johnnyg08 says, you're only as good as your next call. Congrats.