The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Masks with Danglers-One Saved me last night!

Last night I had the dish for a HS varsity game. Pitcher for #5 ranked team in state, per coaches poll, throwing 85 and a little wild. One of his pitches is low and either skips off the plate or dirt and ricochets under the catcher and straight up my chest under my mask. How it got there I will never know, but it was an attempted fastball per my question to catcher after the pitch. It hits the dangler I mount just under and behind the built in extension on my Wilson Chrome Moliben mask. Dangler essentially folds back against my neck effectively blocking the ball from striking my adam's apple/voice box. Dangler stung me a little at a point just above where collarbones join breastbone. I wear Honig's K-1 XL size and the dangler kind of stuck on top of the neck piece that attaches by velcro on the K-1. I pulled the dangler loose, called a ball and both coaches and partner and catcher ask if I am okay. No problem. No mark. No game delay. I hesitate to think what if....? Anyway, many of you say you will never wear one, it looks sissified, etc. Again, what if .....? You grizzled old farts who don't wear one, keep doing what you are doing, it's your health at risk. You younger or newer guys should get one and wear it. I use a 4" honigs attached by velcro straps. Well worth the expense and the inconvenience. Just my two cents and personal story of the moment.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 11:01am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave
Last night I had the dish for a HS varsity game. Pitcher for #5 ranked team in state, per coaches poll, throwing 85 and a little wild. One of his pitches is low and either skips off the plate or dirt and ricochets under the catcher and straight up my chest under my mask. How it got there I will never know, but it was an attempted fastball per my question to catcher after the pitch. It hits the dangler I mount just under and behind the built in extension on my Wilson Chrome Moliben mask. Dangler essentially folds back against my neck effectively blocking the ball from striking my adam's apple/voice box. Dangler stung me a little at a point just above where collarbones join breastbone. I wear Honig's K-1 XL size and the dangler kind of stuck on top of the neck piece that attaches by velcro on the K-1. I pulled the dangler loose, called a ball and both coaches and partner and catcher ask if I am okay. No problem. No mark. No game delay. I hesitate to think what if....? Anyway, many of you say you will never wear one, it looks sissified, etc. Again, what if .....? You grizzled old farts who don't wear one, keep doing what you are doing, it's your health at risk. You younger or newer guys should get one and wear it. I use a 4" honigs attached by velcro straps. Well worth the expense and the inconvenience. Just my two cents and personal story of the moment.
Glad it saved you. I'm sure there are probably those out there that are ignoring the new FED rule this year about protective equipment we must wear as PU. See 10-2-1

SECTION 2 UMPIRE-IN-CHIEF
ART. 1... If there are two or more umpires, the umpire-in-chief shall stand behind the catcher. The umpire-in-chief, when behind the plate, shall wear proper safety equipment including, but not limited to, chest protector, face mask, throat guard, plate shoes, shin guards and protective cup (if male).
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
Glad it saved you. I'm sure there are probably those out there that are ignoring the new FED rule this year about protective equipment we must wear as PU. See 10-2-1

SECTION 2 UMPIRE-IN-CHIEF
ART. 1... If there are two or more umpires, the umpire-in-chief shall stand behind the catcher. The umpire-in-chief, when behind the plate, shall wear proper safety equipment including, but not limited to, chest protector, face mask, throat guard, plate shoes, shin guards and protective cup (if male).
I'm sure that some are ignoring the rule, but recognize that the new "throat guard" requirement does not mean that a "dangler" need be worn. Most (all?) masks made today will meet the requirement.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Yes, the mask extension is considered a throat guard.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I agree but the dangler is what saved me.

My point is that the extension is not enough in some cases. Why take the chance? For less than $10 you have a painless, simple to install method of more protection. I wonder what the Fed rules guys really meant when they required protection for the throat. Was it the extension or the dangler?
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Safety equipment is safety equipment, if you don't wear it properly, it can't or won't be able to perform as it was intended. To wear or not wear a dangler, is personal preference. It's added security, you can still get hit in the neck with or without one. By wearing all your protective equipment properly, as well as using proper mechanics, your risk's decline.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave
My point is that the extension is not enough in some cases. Why take the chance? For less than $10 you have a painless, simple to install method of more protection. I wonder what the Fed rules guys really meant when they required protection for the throat. Was it the extension or the dangler?
It was clearly just the extension.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 01:33pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I'm sure that some are ignoring the rule, but recognize that the new "throat guard" requirement does not mean that a "dangler" need be worn. Most (all?) masks made today will meet the requirement.
I wasn't suggesting the dangler is the only approved throat protector. I happen to utilize both - it's just another layer of protection. Kind of like the new requirement to wear "plate type" shoes. Last year all I wore was steel toed shoes. It's interesting, because working my two games last night, I took one off of the metatarsal guard, something I hadn't done at all last year.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I wear the dangler in the same position as Dave. I've taken three shots there in eight years. I've also only taken one ball off my plate shoes. I've taken dozens of shots off my shinguards, and probably ten off my cup.

I know guys who don't wear one of the aforementioned pieces of equipment. The absent shinguard guy is the most startling to me, yet he's been doing it for years, and never been hit. Umpiring is a risky business. Most of us have been drilled in the thighs and arms, yet most of us don't wear gear there. It's a calculated risk. What others may wear, or don't wear, is a personal choice based on many factors. I like the fact that we can share our experiences here, and perhaps guide others, not by preaching, but relaying war stories.

Me, I started wearing the dangler after asking an umpire about the scare on this throat.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

This story, from our very own GarthB, is enough to give me pause:

Quote:
And, I do have first hand experience with the need to protect one's throat. About five years ago, I had to borrow a mask to work a game. It had a very small throat guard and no dangler. I took a foul to the Adam's apple and spit blood for the rest of the game. I went to the emergency room after the game and was told that I was very lucking to not have suffered permanent damage. I had the world's worst sore throat for about two weeks.
An evaluator last night said, "especially with your stance, you'd better buy a throat protector." I plan on getting one tonight, if possible.

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
MajorDave

Before this post is over, you're going to hear from a boat load of people that think a Dangler is a waste of time, and looks stupid. (but not a stupid as a EVB - Electronic Voice Box)

I also wear a Dangler with my HSM, and it stops several balls each season. Yeah, I know, it has an extension, but if you take the time to look in the mirror, there is a huge gap between a Mask, or HSM, extension, and your Chest Protector.

I'm starting to wonder if the guys who think Danglers are a waste of time, are using Balloon Protectors. In which case, yes, a Dangler is a waste of time. But who looks silly now ?

And no, the new FED rule does not REQUIRE us to wear one.

Nick
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Nick,

Why do you do this? I personally don't take issue with those who choose to wear one. What I have an issue with is those that do wear one (you) assuming they (you) know the rest of us, our stances, chest protectors, and other information about us that plays a role in the decision to use one well enough to speak with any authority about our safety.

Tim.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Nick,

Why do you do this? I personally don't take issue with those who choose to wear one. What I have an issue with is those that do wear one (you) assuming they (you) know the rest of us, our stances, chest protectors, and other information about us that plays a role in the decision to use one well enough to speak with any authority about our safety.

Tim.
That's right! If you want to wear one go ahead. I don't, I won't and that's that!
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 05:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
That's right! If you want to wear one go ahead. I don't, I won't and that's that!
With a mask I've always wore a short 4 inch one, but never with a HSM. I would never try to tell others what or what not to wear for protection.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 21, 2007, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Gentlemen,

At no time did I say that everyone should wear a Dangler.

I did, however, poke some fun at those who have teased myself, and others for wearing one.

Wear one. Don't wear one. It has no effect on anything in my world.

And for the record, I don't like wearing one. They are a pain in the butt. But, because I get hit in it so often, I can't bring myself to remove it.

Nick