The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 02:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Makes no sense at all to me - you go to MLB and what do fans holler - come on Blue etc.,

If an umpire don't want to be called blue then he's simply being a jerk IMO.

I simply call it tradition ... and I like tradition.

thanks
David
Well, I must know a sh!tload of jerks, because that is the concensus of the umpires that I know.

What does what ignorant baseball fans holler at the umpire have to do with the proper way to address the umpire while a game participant? Like Tony Gwynn once said, "F*** the fans, they don't know anything." I never said I cared what the fans called me. Of course those idiots are going to call the umpire "Blue," because they don't know better.

It is not tradition to call the umpire "Blue," any more than it is tradition to refer to African-Americans with the "N" word. They are both words used by ignorant people. Calling an umpire Blue is derived from the umpire "blew the call." That is where it came from, not the color of the umpire's shirt.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Makes no sense at all to me - you go to MLB and what do fans holler - come on Blue etc.,

If an umpire don't want to be called blue then he's simply being a jerk IMO.

I simply call it tradition ... and I like tradition.

thanks
David
So fans are the arbiters of what umpires are called? Okay, in that case, how do you feel about a$$hole? It's just as popular with them as "blue."

I haven't met a MiLB or MLB umpire yet who liked being called blue.

Tradition? It goes back further than "blue."
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 02:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
"hey blue" doesn't bother me...
It doesn't bother me either, I just don't respond well to it. I don't let stuff like that bother me. I'm very professional when I'm on the field, and would never outwardly display any frustration over something so trivial. I just simply do not like being addressed as "Blue," and that is my prerogative.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 05:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
I think you're wrong about that - many of the posters here and elsewhere have "blue" in their names. As an umpire, I consider it a sign of respect. They don't know my name and they certainly don't call me "Mr. Umpire". If you want people to call you something in particular, it's YOUR job to tell THEM and not be some smarta$$ asking if they're talking to you. You're an umpire, not a person on a pedestal, so don't act like it. Just remember one thing - THEY ARE YOUR CUSTOMER - not the other way around.
Oh, bull****. What a stupid thing to say, as if I should bow down to the wonderful coaches in the world that ALLOW me to umpire.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 05:28pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Oh, bull****. What a stupid thing to say, as if I should bow down to the wonderful coaches in the world that ALLOW me to umpire.
Nobody said anything about bowing down. If they weren't playing you wouldn't be out there, and whether you believe it or not those schools and organizations fork out the money for you to be there, so they are your customer.

I didn't insinuate they are above you. Just make sure you don't give them the opinion that you are above them. That was my point. You are there to officiate a game within the rules prescribed. That doesn't mean you have to go in with your nose in the air and a smarta$$ attitude.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 05:43pm

Quote:
That doesn't mean you have to go in with your nose in the air and a smarta$$ attitude.
I don't have my nose in the air, nor do I have a smarta$$ attitude. I just don't answer to "Blue." That does not make me a smarta$$.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 06:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Nobody said anything about bowing down. If they weren't playing you wouldn't be out there, and whether you believe it or not those schools and organizations fork out the money for you to be there, so they are your customer.

I didn't insinuate they are above you. Just make sure you don't give them the opinion that you are above them. That was my point. You are there to officiate a game within the rules prescribed. That doesn't mean you have to go in with your nose in the air and a smarta$$ attitude.
I go in and work professionally. I'm courteous when that's called for and I'm obnoxious when that's (much more rare, BTW) necessary.

I know the rules, hustle, and work hard.

My goal is to be true to myself and my partners and hopefully that will be enough to be rehired. If not, well, life goes on. So far it's worked out OK.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Had someone call me "Ref" the other day. I think I like "Blue" better.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you're wrong about that - many of the posters here and elsewhere have "blue" in their names. As an umpire, I consider it a sign of respect. They don't know my name and they certainly don't call me "Mr. Umpire".
I'm with Steve on this one. I don't consider it a sign of respect. Mr. Umpire would be a sign of respect. Sir would be a sign of respect. When was the last time you wanted the attention of someone who's name you did not know and said "Hey Red Shirt or Black Shoes" I'll bet the last time you wanted the attention of someone who's name you did not no, you said "Excuse me, sir."

Quote:
If you want people to call you something in particular, it's YOUR job to tell THEM and not be some smarta$$ asking if they're talking to you. You're an umpire, not a person on a pedestal, so don't act like it. Just remember one thing - THEY ARE YOUR CUSTOMER - not the other way around.
What if you have told him your name and he still calls you blue? Since when does someone's position as a customer allow him to show you disrespect?
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If an umpire don't want to be called blue then he's simply being a jerk IMO. I simply call it tradition ... and I like tradition.
WOW! I don't like to be called blue, so I'm being a jerk. This seems over the top.

So what you are saying is "I have an opinion, if your's is different you are being a jerk." Wow...

Do you like all traditions? I hope not because I'm sure we could find some pretty offensive traditions.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 08:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli
WOW! I don't like to be called blue, so I'm being a jerk. This seems over the top.

So what you are saying is "I have an opinion, if your's is different you are being a jerk." Wow...

Do you like all traditions? I hope not because I'm sure we could find some pretty offensive traditions.
You hit the nail on the head in your previous post.

I worked a college DH (D3) yesterday and both head coaches and all the assistants knew my name and used it all day. I make sure I know the head coach's name (at least) and use it when speaking to him. Normally, I check on the Internet if it's a new school and I may even take the time to read the coach's bio, if he has one.

For a head coach to refer to me as "Blue" means he couldn't take the time to remember my first name. Sad, if you ask me.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

To me, Blue is not offensive. Certainly can not be compared with the N-word. But I feel that refering to a coach as coach shows much more respect towards him than using his first name. Even when I do know it.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking You can call me Darlin, Darling

Just don't blow it into my ear in public.
When I am far away (> 60 ft), call me blue and I will ignore what you say.
When I am closer within earshot (< 60 feet), call me ump and I will listen to what you say.
When I am in front of you, call me Sir because I prefer it.
You can get away without saying Sir as long as I understand that you do it with tact.
(Cue country music) But you can never, never call me by my name. (Cue end of country music)

Last edited by SAump; Wed Apr 18, 2007 at 09:28pm.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
I think you're wrong about that - many of the posters here and elsewhere have "blue" in their names. As an umpire, I consider it a sign of respect. They don't know my name and they certainly don't call me "Mr. Umpire". If you want people to call you something in particular, it's YOUR job to tell THEM and not be some smarta$$ asking if they're talking to you. You're an umpire, not a person on a pedestal, so don't act like it. Just remember one thing - THEY ARE YOUR CUSTOMER - not the other way around.
Blue doesn't ring my bell like the sweet sound of "Mr. Umpire".
I usually respond with a "Yes, Sir" while my subconscious may have thought,
{Yes dear, what is it that you wanted to tell me? I'm all ears.}
Then I try to respond with, "Well, let me see what I can do to correct that for you."
A seasoned lass should already be prepared to hear my next response.
Generosity often pulls the sheets out from over them.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Apr 18, 2007 at 09:55pm.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I answer to nothing but "Mr. Umpire Dude."