The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

new plate shoes?????????

which would you guys suggest for a first timer in buying plate shoes? and yes i wear two ball bag because of state rules. and could anybody tell me about this gery davis stance? please let me know if you use it are you dont think it is any better than any of the other stances.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 08:22am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd8266
which would you guys suggest for a first timer in buying plate shoes? and yes i wear two ball bag because of state rules. and could anybody tell me about this gery davis stance? please let me know if you use it are you dont think it is any better than any of the other stances.

Yes, I wear two ball bags because I want to wear two bags (My reasons are not necessary here.) but what state do you live in and why does it require two ball bags?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Plate shoes: Tanel360's www.tanel360.com They are very light weight and look good.

In regards to the plate stance: i reccommend starting with the regular box stance, then later going to the gerry davis stance which is a more "advanced" technique.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Yes, I wear two ball bags because I want to wear two bags (My reasons are not necessary here.) but what state do you live in and why does it require two ball bags?

MTD, Sr.
Alabama, the state that mandates two ball bags, certain brands of pants and shirts, hats underneath a HSM, and only allows navy blue shirts.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

very good umpduck must know the state very well to know that.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd8266
very good umpduck must know the state very well to know that.
Know it ? Hell, I have to live here...............
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Plate shoes: Tanel360's www.tanel360.com They are very light weight and look good.

In regards to the plate stance: i reccommend starting with the regular box stance, then later going to the gerry davis stance which is a more "advanced" technique.
thanks for the heads up on tanel360 just got my shoes today. they wore good, i got the special they got that was the best deal two pairs of shoes and sunglasses and a hat. for less that two hundred dollars.again thanks.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I just bought a pair of Lehigh Metatarsal oxfords, that look just like umpire plate shoes. I'll give a report when they get here, but for 28 bucks brand new, I could afford to take a chance.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

reebok plate shoes are really really comfortable! they're also the same ones the MLB guys wear. I used to have to wear two pairs of socks with my old pair and still get a numb big toe afterwards but with these reeboks, I can wear just one pair of socks and have yet to get a numb toe afterwards. For $90, can't go wrong. Only downside is the big white reebok logo on the sides but a sharpie can take care of that.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
reebok plate shoes are really really comfortable! they're also the same ones the MLB guys wear. I used to have to wear two pairs of socks with my old pair and still get a numb big toe afterwards but with these reeboks, I can wear just one pair of socks and have yet to get a numb toe afterwards. For $90, can't go wrong. Only downside is the big white reebok logo on the sides but a sharpie can take care of that.
You do realize that they make the all black version now, right? A Sharpie on that big of a logo will look awful by the way.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11 View Post
Alabama, the state that mandates two ball bags, certain brands of pants and shirts, hats underneath a HSM, and only allows navy blue shirts.
Hats under HSM, Gracey? What are they, on dope!

2 ball bags - no problem, I also wear 2.
Navy only - that's the State's prerogative.
Hats under HSM - kiss my posterior!

Sorry, Umpduck, but your State is run by morons and the only thing worse than that are people that follow such dumb mandates! I hope you all wear masks!

Last edited by ozzy6900; Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 05:26pm.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

After 25 years of sore legs and backs each season and two knee operations, my recommendation is to go with the Gerry Davis stance NOW. Learn it well and stay with it until you retire. Forget all the crap about what looks good or pretty or advanced. Not only is it better for your body but, you see more zone and can call more srikes. In 2-3 years it will be the No.1 recommended stance. Period.

I just bought a new pair of patent leather low plates shoes and hope they last the 10 years I got out of the first pair. $115.00, looks sharp and easy to keep clean.

Two ball bags are cool.

Hat under your HSM?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Forget the sharpie - finger nail polish remover works wonders. You only have to do it once, then cover it with a little shoe die and polish. After that just polish as normal with black and don't think about the white again. But they are making the Reebok in all black for 2010 - which will be my next purchase.

I used the GD stance. I love it. Your body supports itself. Your legs don't hurt after a game, your back is saved etc etc - not to mention the view of the plate when done correctly. I will admit that I may not be 100% correct in my interpretation/use of it. But so far it's my choice for having energy at the end of the game and being able to walk the next day!!

Back to the shoes - everyone I know that has the New Balance loves them.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Hats under HSM, Gracey? What are they, on dope!

2 ball bags - no problem, I also wear 2.
Navy only - that's the State's prerogative.
Hats under HSM - kiss my posterior!

Sorry, Umpduck, but your State is run by morons and the only thing worse than that are people that follow such dumb mandates! I hope you all wear masks!
Oz, since I first posted that in 2007, the State has since changed the rule. We may now wear a HSM without a hat underneath. I only wear a conventional mask, and I don't think anyone else in our association wears a HSM, either.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
Good advice ... until you got to the end there.

First of all, if it matters to your particular association, they're available in an all-black version. Secondly, a sharpie most certainly cannot take care of that. It would positively ruin the shoes, and/or look as amateurish as hell. Get the Reeboks, but if an all-black shoe is required, get that model, and don't rely on doctoring their white logos.