The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Plate Shoes (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/33374-plate-shoes.html)

BigUmp56 Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:19am

Plate Shoes
 
Has anyone seen the new Honigs K99 patent leather high tops? There's no picture of them on the Honigs site. I'm going to get either those or the GD patent leather high tops. Any strong opinions on one or the other?

Thanks,

Tim.

UmpireBob Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:41am

Tim,

I would assume that they look very similar to their K90 high top, seeing at they seem to keep the same look between their K80 and K70 shoes. However, I do not know for sure.

If you are seriously considering a pair of GD patent leather high tops, I have a pair of 9.5's if you happen to wear that size.

For anyone else viewing this thread...if you have tried the Honig's Patent Leather shoes, please comment on their durability. I can speak highly of the GD patent leather shoes...they wear very well. A fellow blue that was in our bunk room at LL Central Region umpire school a couple of years ago had a pair of Honig's patent leather shoes....and he was NOT happy with them at all. They had begun to crack, and apparently he had not had them very long.

My understanding is that they have addressed some problems such as this since their first offering. So, any comments would be appreciated.

Bob

LomUmp Fri Apr 06, 2007 05:27pm

Hey all,

I do use the Honig's patent leather plate shoes, the K-99, formerly KCHS. They do look like the K-90 plate shoes and are completely patent OTHER THAN the side panel around the middle of the foot. They do clean easily and look pretty good, as well. I have not had any problem with cracking or any other problem associated with the PL. I have used these for about 1.5 years to this point.

Comfort... They are a comfortable shoe, and I have done multiple games in one day and the feet were not any worse for wear than would be expected from being on the field for @ 6 hours. They have a steel, not composite toe, and I have been hit on the toe, metatarsal guard and side of the foot with no ill effects. I did catch one by the edge of the steel toe that "buzzed" or vibrated it a little, but no damage to the shoe, or more importantly, me!

With that being said, I have recently become a convert to New Balance shoes and I am considering the 350's for base shoes and the 450's as plate shoes when the Honig's shoes I have require replacing. Not that the Honig's are bad, just that the NB shoes I do have are really comfortable.


LomUmp:cool:

mick Fri Apr 06, 2007 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Has anyone seen the new Honigs K99 patent leather high tops? There's no picture of them on the Honigs site. I'm going to get either those or the GD patent leather high tops. Any strong opinions on one or the other?

Thanks,

Tim.

Tim,
See page 44.
http://www.honigs.com/pdf/2007catalog/honig2007a4.pdf

BigUmp56 Fri Apr 06, 2007 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick

Thanks, Mick. I ordered the GD patents Wednesday and they were on the porch when I got home from work tonight. They're not as heavy as I thought they'd be. I have to say that they're much more comfortable to me than my +POS were. Now I'm wondering about how to take care of the scuff marks that are bound to be left behind after a few games.


Tim.

BigUmp56 Fri Apr 06, 2007 08:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpireBob
Tim,


If you are seriously considering a pair of GD patent leather high tops, I have a pair of 9.5's if you happen to wear that size.


Thanks for the offer, Bob, but I wear size 12.


Tim.

ctblu40 Fri Apr 06, 2007 09:16pm

Patent Polish
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Now I'm wondering about how to take care of the scuff marks that are bound to be left behind after a few games.

Tim-

Check out the Pedag "Lack polish" also on page 44 of the pdf link. Major Dave informed me of this stuff, it works great. I have Spotbilt patents, had some scuffs, and this stuff is great.

etn_ump Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:50pm

If you try the New Balance 450 plate shoes, you will never, ever wear anything else behind the plate. I've tried them all, +POS, Gerry Davis, Honigs, Tanels, absolutely nothing compares. Do your feet a favor and try them!

kylejt Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by etn_ump
If you try the New Balance 450 plate shoes, you will never, ever wear anything else behind the plate. I've tried them all, +POS, Gerry Davis, Honigs, Tanels, absolutely nothing compares. Do your feet a favor and try them!

Are they still ugly?

LittleLeagueBob Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:03am

I hear what you all are saying, but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by etn_ump
If you try the New Balance 450 plate shoes, you will never, ever wear anything else behind the plate. I've tried them all, +POS, Gerry Davis, Honigs, Tanels, absolutely nothing compares. Do your feet a favor and try them!

ok - I'm sitting here right now w/a pair of 450s and my shinguards on (yes, my family thinks I'm nuts!:)) - and they just don't seem to mesh well. The wrap-around sides are bulging out over the high top sides, and the instep plate cuts into the front of the shinguards (not the flap, the guards themselves) when I bend forward to walk. So...while I do love the way they feel on my feet (I got the 350s - very comfy!) - I'm not enjoying the way the work w/my shinguards. I've not had high-tops before - is it something you get used to? (btw - my shinguards are the +POS 315s).

I was thinking of trying the Tanel's next - I had heard they were also very comfortable - but this post has me worried - are they really not as comfortable??

Rich Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleLeagueBob
ok - I'm sitting here right now w/a pair of 450s and my shinguards on (yes, my family thinks I'm nuts!:)) - and they just don't seem to mesh well. The wrap-around sides are bulging out over the high top sides, and the instep plate cuts into the front of the shinguards (not the flap, the guards themselves) when I bend forward to walk. So...while I do love the way they feel on my feet (I got the 350s - very comfy!) - I'm not enjoying the way the work w/my shinguards. I've not had high-tops before - is it something you get used to? (btw - my shinguards are the +POS 315s).

I was thinking of trying the Tanel's next - I had heard they were also very comfortable - but this post has me worried - are they really not as comfortable??

Your shinguards are the things that need to work with your plate shoes, not the other way around.

I don't understand people that spend more than $30 on shinguards. Single knee Diamonds work great with the NB 450s.

etn_ump Sat Apr 07, 2007 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt
Are they still ugly?

Are they supposed to be pretty?

They are comfortable, shine up great and besides most of the shoe is hidden by your plate pants when you walk, anyway.

Delaware Blue Sat Apr 07, 2007 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleLeagueBob
I was thinking of trying the Tanel's next - I had heard they were also very comfortable - but this post has me worried - are they really not as comfortable??

I tried on a pair of New Balance plate shoes the other night. For me, they were not comfortable. There was something about the cut of the top of the shoe and where it hit my ankle bone that just didn't work for me. I've worn high and mid top shoes before and not had a problem so it was unique to the New Balance. Other than the ankle problem they were comfortable enough, but I'd say no more comfortable than my Tanels.

I've worn Tanels for three years and they are the most comfortable plate shoe I've worn. It's a matter of personal preference. What is comfortable for one person may not be for another. The best thing is to try the Tanels yourself and see.

LittleLeagueBob Sat Apr 07, 2007 03:46pm

Thanks for the info, DB. Where did you get your Tanel's at? Is their website the only place, or is there another source??

Bob

kylejt Sat Apr 07, 2007 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

I don't understand people that spend more than $30 on shinguards. Single knee Diamonds work great with the NB 450s.

I've come full circle on shinguards. I'm back to the inexpensive, light, CoolMax lined Coopers I wore when I was a rookie. They're perfect for me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1