The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Plate Shoes (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/33374-plate-shoes.html)

BigUmp56 Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:19am

Plate Shoes

Has anyone seen the new Honigs K99 patent leather high tops? There's no picture of them on the Honigs site. I'm going to get either those or the GD patent leather high tops. Any strong opinions on one or the other?

Thanks,

Tim.

UmpireBob Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:41am

Tim,

I would assume that they look very similar to their K90 high top, seeing at they seem to keep the same look between their K80 and K70 shoes. However, I do not know for sure.

If you are seriously considering a pair of GD patent leather high tops, I have a pair of 9.5's if you happen to wear that size.

For anyone else viewing this thread...if you have tried the Honig's Patent Leather shoes, please comment on their durability. I can speak highly of the GD patent leather shoes...they wear very well. A fellow blue that was in our bunk room at LL Central Region umpire school a couple of years ago had a pair of Honig's patent leather shoes....and he was NOT happy with them at all. They had begun to crack, and apparently he had not had them very long.

My understanding is that they have addressed some problems such as this since their first offering. So, any comments would be appreciated.

Bob

LomUmp Fri Apr 06, 2007 05:27pm

Hey all,

I do use the Honig's patent leather plate shoes, the K-99, formerly KCHS. They do look like the K-90 plate shoes and are completely patent OTHER THAN the side panel around the middle of the foot. They do clean easily and look pretty good, as well. I have not had any problem with cracking or any other problem associated with the PL. I have used these for about 1.5 years to this point.

Comfort... They are a comfortable shoe, and I have done multiple games in one day and the feet were not any worse for wear than would be expected from being on the field for @ 6 hours. They have a steel, not composite toe, and I have been hit on the toe, metatarsal guard and side of the foot with no ill effects. I did catch one by the edge of the steel toe that "buzzed" or vibrated it a little, but no damage to the shoe, or more importantly, me!

With that being said, I have recently become a convert to New Balance shoes and I am considering the 350's for base shoes and the 450's as plate shoes when the Honig's shoes I have require replacing. Not that the Honig's are bad, just that the NB shoes I do have are really comfortable.

LomUmp:cool:

mick Fri Apr 06, 2007 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Has anyone seen the new Honigs K99 patent leather high tops? There's no picture of them on the Honigs site. I'm going to get either those or the GD patent leather high tops. Any strong opinions on one or the other?

Thanks,

Tim.

Tim,
See page 44.
http://www.honigs.com/pdf/2007catalog/honig2007a4.pdf

BigUmp56 Fri Apr 06, 2007 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick

Thanks, Mick. I ordered the GD patents Wednesday and they were on the porch when I got home from work tonight. They're not as heavy as I thought they'd be. I have to say that they're much more comfortable to me than my +POS were. Now I'm wondering about how to take care of the scuff marks that are bound to be left behind after a few games.

Tim.

BigUmp56 Fri Apr 06, 2007 08:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpireBob
Tim,

If you are seriously considering a pair of GD patent leather high tops, I have a pair of 9.5's if you happen to wear that size.

Thanks for the offer, Bob, but I wear size 12.

Tim.

ctblu40 Fri Apr 06, 2007 09:16pm

Patent Polish

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Now I'm wondering about how to take care of the scuff marks that are bound to be left behind after a few games.

Tim-

Check out the Pedag "Lack polish" also on page 44 of the pdf link. Major Dave informed me of this stuff, it works great. I have Spotbilt patents, had some scuffs, and this stuff is great.

etn_ump Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:50pm

If you try the New Balance 450 plate shoes, you will never, ever wear anything else behind the plate. I've tried them all, +POS, Gerry Davis, Honigs, Tanels, absolutely nothing compares. Do your feet a favor and try them!

kylejt Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by etn_ump
If you try the New Balance 450 plate shoes, you will never, ever wear anything else behind the plate. I've tried them all, +POS, Gerry Davis, Honigs, Tanels, absolutely nothing compares. Do your feet a favor and try them!

Are they still ugly?

LittleLeagueBob Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:03am

I hear what you all are saying, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by etn_ump

ok - I'm sitting here right now w/a pair of 450s and my shinguards on (yes, my family thinks I'm nuts!:)) - and they just don't seem to mesh well. The wrap-around sides are bulging out over the high top sides, and the instep plate cuts into the front of the shinguards (not the flap, the guards themselves) when I bend forward to walk. So...while I do love the way they feel on my feet (I got the 350s - very comfy!) - I'm not enjoying the way the work w/my shinguards. I've not had high-tops before - is it something you get used to? (btw - my shinguards are the +POS 315s).

I was thinking of trying the Tanel's next - I had heard they were also very comfortable - but this post has me worried - are they really not as comfortable??

Rich Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleLeagueBob
ok - I'm sitting here right now w/a pair of 450s and my shinguards on (yes, my family thinks I'm nuts!:)) - and they just don't seem to mesh well. The wrap-around sides are bulging out over the high top sides, and the instep plate cuts into the front of the shinguards (not the flap, the guards themselves) when I bend forward to walk. So...while I do love the way they feel on my feet (I got the 350s - very comfy!) - I'm not enjoying the way the work w/my shinguards. I've not had high-tops before - is it something you get used to? (btw - my shinguards are the +POS 315s).

I was thinking of trying the Tanel's next - I had heard they were also very comfortable - but this post has me worried - are they really not as comfortable??

Your shinguards are the things that need to work with your plate shoes, not the other way around.

I don't understand people that spend more than $30 on shinguards. Single knee Diamonds work great with the NB 450s.

etn_ump Sat Apr 07, 2007 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt
Are they still ugly?

Are they supposed to be pretty?

They are comfortable, shine up great and besides most of the shoe is hidden by your plate pants when you walk, anyway.

Delaware Blue Sat Apr 07, 2007 03:30pm

Quote:

I tried on a pair of New Balance plate shoes the other night. For me, they were not comfortable. There was something about the cut of the top of the shoe and where it hit my ankle bone that just didn't work for me. I've worn high and mid top shoes before and not had a problem so it was unique to the New Balance. Other than the ankle problem they were comfortable enough, but I'd say no more comfortable than my Tanels.

I've worn Tanels for three years and they are the most comfortable plate shoe I've worn. It's a matter of personal preference. What is comfortable for one person may not be for another. The best thing is to try the Tanels yourself and see.

LittleLeagueBob Sat Apr 07, 2007 03:46pm

Thanks for the info, DB. Where did you get your Tanel's at? Is their website the only place, or is there another source??

Bob

kylejt Sat Apr 07, 2007 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

I don't understand people that spend more than $30 on shinguards. Single knee Diamonds work great with the NB 450s.

I've come full circle on shinguards. I'm back to the inexpensive, light, CoolMax lined Coopers I wore when I was a rookie. They're perfect for me.

Delaware Blue Sat Apr 07, 2007 05:19pm

Quote:

Thanks for the info, DB. Where did you get your Tanel's at? Is their website the only place, or is there another source??

I ordered mine direct from Tanel. If you go to their web site, they have a pretty good package deal on their plate and base shoes but you have to call them to get the special. You can't order the package online.

If all you want are the plate shoes, you can find them cheaper from a reseller like http://www.directsports.com

UmpireBob Mon Apr 09, 2007 04:43pm

Success!

Received the New Balance plate shoes today. :D The Gerry Davis shin guards which would not work with the Gerry Davis high top plate shoes I wore last year, work much better with these NB shoes. The protective flaps still splay a bit, but not nearly as much as they did with the GD plates shoes.

I can't wait to work my first game in these new shoes! They fit and feel just like I would expect a pair of NB shoes to feel. I've been wearing NB shoes for quite a few years now as my primary athletic and casual shoes, along with Mizunos. These NB plate shoes should be great! Also, at that time, I'll find out how easy (or not) they are to clean up.

I'll post on these again after opening day.

Bob

Sarge Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:08pm

I have had the GD plate shoes for about a year now and have not wore them in many games, but I already have cracks in the patent leather... I use pedag on them but still cracks. I really like the shoe I am not happy about the cracks though.

heavyd8266 Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:35pm

tanel360

Quote:

i have just got my tanel 360s and i love them.they have a special going where you can get the plate shoes and base shoes for about the price of a pair of new balance plate shoes. and you get a hat and sunglasses too boot. i never wear sunglasses behind the plate but i wore these and want another pair.the shoes did great would not wear anything else give them a try your feet will love you for them.:D

LDUB Sun Apr 22, 2007 01:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyd8266
i have just got my tanel 360s and i love them.they have a special going where you can get the plate shoes and base shoes for about the price of a pair of new balance plate shoes.

The Tanel package goes for $159.98. NB plate shoes cost $99 with free shipping. About a week ago they were on sale for about $88 including shipping. That is not exactly about the same price.

Klokard Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:25am

Honigs plate shoe

I tried the Honigs hi top shoe after having the sole on my older Honigs low top plate shoes delam. I was very disappointed. First, they appear to have very little leather in the upper. They actually squeaked when I walked and seem to be mostly vinyl. They cause my shin guards to flair out at the ankle which in turn causes my pant cuffs to ride up. The steel toe protrudes into the inner area and rubbed my toes raw. I was so disheartened, I wore them for 3 games or so and threw them on ebay. This is not meant to be a dig on Honigs, I loved my low top shoes but they wore out. I have since gone to the Plus Pos low tops.

bob jenkins Sat Apr 28, 2007 07:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klokard
I tried the Honigs hi top shoe after having the sole on my older Honigs low top plate shoes delam. I was very disappointed.

Regular or patent leather?

GarthB Sat Apr 28, 2007 09:37am

Quote:

I tried the Honigs hi top shoe after having the sole on my older Honigs low top plate shoes delam. I was very disappointed. First, they appear to have very little leather in the upper. They actually squeaked when I walked and seem to be mostly vinyl.

Aong with my new NB's. I have a pair of the Honigs high tops. There is no vinyl on mine.

DG Sat Apr 28, 2007 05:39pm

Quote:

I tried the Honigs hi top shoe after having the sole on my older Honigs low top plate shoes delam. I loved my low top shoes but they wore out.

I have had my Honigs high top heels replaced once and then completey resoled with a VIBRAM sole that is still going strong. The uppers are still fine. I expect these will wear out from the inside before they do the outside. You may have been able to save your low tops with a good shoe repair shop.

This year I bought a pair of Tanels because I heard so much about how comfortable they are, and they are comfortable, but I don't think they are any more so than my Honigs high tops. I have been using high tops for a long time and it taking an adjustment to get used to lows again.

heavyd8266 Mon May 28, 2007 09:20pm

tanel plate shoes

i have had my tanel 360 base and plate shoes and they do great for me.un like older shoes where you fill the cleat grind in the bottom of your foot!:eek: :eek: well with these shoes you dont fill that and yes they are very comfortable. the package on the internetis plate shoes,baseshoes a hat and a pair of RMPsunglasses not a bad deal,:)

BigGuy Wed May 30, 2007 08:48am

http://www.btlofficialsgear.com/deta...&category=1389

I got the Spot Bilt patent leather plate shoes from btlofficialsgear.com With tax and shipping cost me less than $100. VERY comfortable. I've done four games in a day twice and three another time and they are great. Got them in one day.

Forest Ump Wed May 30, 2007 10:22am

Has anybody tried these? Looks like an affordable shoe with the good look of patent leather.

http://www.gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=PS

LomUmp Wed May 30, 2007 04:36pm

Hey all,

I recently had my Honig's high top plate shoes have a ripped out heel area. I searched over and over again to try and get a pair of size 14 high tops from somewhere, but, I could not find high tops available anywhere. I ended up getting these:

http://www.pluspos.com/product.asp?which=447

I was surprised to find the low top as comfortable as they are. That they offer a lot more protection is a BIG plus. (No pun intended.)

LomUmp:cool: