The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   HSM throat guard (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/33061-hsm-throat-guard.html)

LLPA13UmpDan Sat Mar 24, 2007 04:50pm

HSM throat guard

Today we held a clinic at the high school, and we had done plate work. Afterwards, I had two umpires make the following comment about my HSM.

"If we have the kids wear throat protectors, we should wear them too."

Funny, the person who said that wears a throat guard on his HSM, and another person who didn't comment on that was wearing an HSM with a throat guard as well.

I can see the need on a standard mask (I use a standard with a throat guard as I have both types), but on an HSM it is uncessary and looks horrible. In addition, I cannot even wear one without it being annoying to me.

What do you think about wearing one with an HSM? I vote no.

Of all umpires there, only 2 made this comment, as well as another who thinks it is a "rule" we have to wear them.

On a positive note: I was told my timing behind the plate was very good as well as my mechanics. We would have gone and done more feild work, but the fields were muddy.

ctblu40 Sat Mar 24, 2007 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
Today we held a clinic at the high school, and we had done plate work. Afterwards, I had two umpires make the following comment about my HSM.

"If we have the kids wear throat protectors, we should wear them too."

Funny, the person who said that wears a throat guard on his HSM, and another person who didn't comment on that was wearing an HSM with a throat guard as well.

I can see the need on a standard mask (I use a standard with a throat guard as I have both types), but on an HSM it is uncessary and looks horrible. In addition, I cannot even wear one without it being annoying to me.

What do you think about wearing one with an HSM? I vote no.

Of all umpires there, only 2 made this comment, as well as another who thinks it is a "rule" we have to wear them.

On a positive note: I was told my timing behind the plate was very good as well as my mechanics. We would have gone and done more feild work, but the fields were muddy.

I think you've answered your own question, if you don't like it, don't wear it. For the record, I wore one my first year of umpiring because I thought it looked cool. I found it to be annoying so I stopped. I haven't worn one since.

As far as "required" equiptment, I have not been involved with LL in quite a few years, but had never heard of a throat guard required for the umpire.

As far as the guys who say, "If we have the kids wear throat protectors, we should wear them too," do they wear chest protectors with the flap in front or batting helmets? If they require the kids to wear them...
That's an excuse for them attaching a throat guard to an HSM IMO.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:16pm

I do not wish to sound stupid, but what is a HSM?

MTD, Sr.

MadCityRef Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:03am

Hockey style mask, I'd guess.
The point of an HSM is that you wouldn't need a guard.

GarthB Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I do not wish to sound stupid, but what is a HSM?

MTD, Sr.

Similar to a dunce cap.;)

LLPA13UmpDan Sun Mar 25, 2007 09:41am

Also I "hear" AK may push the issue to have it made mandatory as part of the umpires equipment. :rolleyes:

Would I be correct in saying that you should NOT get hit in the throat if you have proper stance? (exception to this would be the scissors)

kylejt Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCityRef
Hockey style mask, I'd guess.
The point of an HSM is that you wouldn't need a guard.

What?

I'd guess you'd have to tell all the hockey goalies to remove their throat protectors then.

U of M Sam Sun Mar 25, 2007 01:13pm

Within Little League, catchers are required to wear a "dangling" throat protector on all mask types and at all levels of ball.
I have not read anywhere within LL text that a PU should (or must) wear a throat protector on their mask.
I wear a standard mask which has the "extended" throat protector (part of the mask) without an "additional" throat protector.
To each their own.

BTW: "LLPA13UmpDan" where did you "hear" that AK might push to have the additional throat protectors mandatory for LL umpires? :rolleyes:

Sam

RPatrino Sun Mar 25, 2007 08:24pm

This is one of LL's little gems of a rule. I suppose you can never go overboard as far as safetly is concerned though.

Blue37 Tue Mar 27, 2007 07:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino
This is one of LL's little gems of a rule. I suppose you can never go overboard as far as safetly is concerned though.

Dixie has the same rule for it 12 year and under leagues.

Eastshire Tue Mar 27, 2007 08:55am

While I wear a standard mask with a built in throat guard, I still attach a dangling throat guard to be on the safe side.

Rich Tue Mar 27, 2007 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino

Let's wrap them all in a bubble and never let them leave the house.

U of M Sam Tue Mar 27, 2007 06:52pm

BTW: "LLPA13UmpDan" where did you "hear" that AK might push to have the additional throat protectors mandatory for LL umpires? :rolleyes:

Sam[/QUOTE]

LLPA13DanUmp: Any updated info?
Sam

LLPA13UmpDan Wed Mar 28, 2007 02:43pm

Sam,

I hear that as a rumor from my UIC. I hear there has been some discussion about it. Only a RUMOR but I wouldn't be surprised if it really is true.

BigUmp56 Wed Mar 28, 2007 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
Sam,

I hear that as a rumor from my UIC. I hear there has been some discussion about it. Only a RUMOR but I wouldn't be surprized if it really is true.

I would be surprized. I'll send Andy an e-mail and see what he has to say.

Tim.